(Sorta TF's) Convertors bootlegs!!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Mutt12, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Mutt12

Mutt12 Starroid Raider

Ebay:
    So I was at CVS Pharmacy the other day and I stumbled upon something that blew my mind.

You see, once upon a time, there was a Japanese toy company called Taketoku. They made the toys for such animated series such as Macross, Orguss, Dorvack, and Beetras. Then they went out of business in the early 80's. To recoup their financial losses, they sold many of their molds. The large deluxe class molds (Such as Jetfire, Roadbuster, Whirl, and various others) went to Hasbro, while their smaller molds, including those for a line of animal robots that never saw the light of day in Japan, went to a little-known company called Select Toys.

Select released these toys under the name of Convertors. The first series of this toy line used the never-before-seen molds in combination with the Beetras molds to create two factions: The Avarians (who turned into birds, and a bat) and the Insectors (3 guess what they turned into). Later on, they released various Dorvack, Macross, and Orguss mecha and claimed them as their own.

I'm sure any person who was a kid in the 80's who had cheap parents remember these robots. I, myself had almost all of them, my favorite being RoBat.

Anyways, flash forward to yesterday. I was at CVS Pharmacy and came across a line of knockoffs called Twist 'N' Change Robots which were the Insector/Avarian molds!! Granted, they don't have the cool vaccuum metalized pieces anymore and their joints were horribly loose, they brought back alot of memories!

Pictures forthcoming when I get home from work.

2. NemesisPrime

NemesisPrime Banned

I think this would be a great piece on "Where particular molds came from.."

Love reading stuff like this.

3. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    So that's where I got that bat robot thing from. I've had it for years, but I never really knew what line he was from. He's actually a pretty cool toy.

4. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    They don't seem to go for much at all on ebay... I might have to get one or two when I'm not broke.

5. Mutt12

Mutt12 Starroid Raider

Ebay:
    As promised, here's pics of the bootlegs, alongside my original RoBat for comparison. They're pretty neat, except for the lack of vaccuum metalization and loose-as-crap joints.

Original RoBat
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bootleg RoBat
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

From left to right: Bootleg Calypso, Rex, and Hoot
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Mutt12

Mutt12 Starroid Raider

Ebay:
    Oh, and Robat > Mindwipe, Ratbat, Bombburst

7. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Holy hell, I had Robat! I honestly hadn't thought about it for twenty years, till I saw that photo. And it all came rushing back, how much I loved that toy. Even the name, which I had also forgotten, suddenly came back to me in a flash!

Thanks for posting this! That's honestly why I love collecting toys... those little, unexpected bursts of nostalgia you get when you see or hold something and it sparks a memory from your distant childhood. Such a cool feeling.

8. Mutt12

Mutt12 Starroid Raider

Ebay:
    Not a problem. If you want one again, the knockoff set can be found at just about any CVS Pharmacy. If you can't find one, PM me and I will see if I can snag one for you.

Me, I bought two for myself. One to keep. The other for kitbash fodder.

9. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

I still have my Robat in a pretty good shape, but Eagle dude ended in the trash. His knee broke. I also have a Peacock guy somewhere, but he lost his bird-legs and feathers.

10. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

My brother and I had a bunch of these... some survived the 80's better than others though... :) 

Rex (the blue falcon) was my fave... really nice articulation for the time, and a pretty badass robot mode. I especially liked his scimitar weapon, and the Wolverine-esque blades on his arms.

I also had Robat and Feathers (the Peacock). I totally used Robat as Mindwipe later on. My bro and I also had a bunch of the Insectors... I think I liked Creeper (smaller cheaper blue version of Insecticon Barrage) better than the real thing. I also had this other beetle guy with really long whip-like antennae, molded out of rubber. Any of the ones that belonged to me are actually still in pretty good shape, while any of my bro's are now spare parts only, at best. :) 

I found these same KO's at a Dollarama in Montreal a couple of years ago... they're really not bad (especially for a dollar!). Picked up a Robat and Rex for old time's sake (and to replace my Robat's slightly broken wing).

zmog

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Those are kinda cool. I like Robat's story.:lol 

12. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    How much were these? I might want to hit up CVS

13. Mutt12

Mutt12 Starroid Raider

Ebay:
    I have to agree that Rex was the most well-made of the original molds. Plus he looked rather awesome. But RoBat always held a special place in my hearts because I love all things chiropteran, ever since I was like two or three years old.

Also, is it just me, or does Rex's head seem better suited for RoBat?

14. Mutt12

Mutt12 Starroid Raider

Ebay:
    They were $7.99 for the set of four

15. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Robat was pretty cool too. Although not as articulated, his Bat mode beats Rex's bird mode. I never liked his weird tubular "sword" though.

Rex's head for Robat? Hard to say. I always read the fins on the sides of his head to be sort of feather-like blades, so it matched the rest of his style. Also, the markings on his head (painted red in the original) have a bit of a bird motif as well, as I recall.

I like the style of Robat's head better though... but I always liked those "visor-faces". :) 

zmog

16. Mutt12

Mutt12 Starroid Raider

Ebay:
    Yeah, I never liked the sword either. It was like a pole with a knob on the end. When I was a kid, I replaced it with a gun from an insector named Tenticus (spider).

As for Robat's head, I thought it was cool. But I prefer having the bat mask over it, even in robot form. It has this cool Egyptian look to it.

17. 138 Scourge

138 Scourge WE R 138

Yeah! These things rocked. I got a set of 'em for Christmas one year. Big favorites of mine were Claypso, Tenticus, and, of course, Robat.

Now I may have to check out the CVS' 'round here myself.

18. jason jupiter

jason jupiter weird/ rare g1 KO hunter

the quality on the set is pretty poor, i think it was mentioned already?

i had robat and feathers as a kid, back in the pic n' save days, lol. i would always have robat beating up feathers and used robats chest to store gi joe guns. even as a child "a turqoise green peacock, wtf".

i always loved the super defenders, they had diecast metal parts =D

and sometime when i visit my parent's i have to take pictures of my taiwan KO robat with a batman head and batman symbol on the chest, its hilarious!

19. Mutt12

Mutt12 Starroid Raider

Ebay:
    Oh snap! You have one of the Batman RoBats?!! I been looking for one of those for years! You lucky $#%#^!!!!

And yeah, the recent bootleg set is pretty poor quality. The originals are kinda meh in the quality department, but were semi sturdy.

BTW, I did a video review of these guys:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  20. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    My nephew and I had a bunch of these Convertors when I was a kid. The car and insect ones. I remember one was called D.A. Tona. lol

They were pretty cool, I liked them.