Sorry to bring up another PS3 troubles thread

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by funkatron101, Oct 4, 2006.

1. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    http://www.gamespot.com/news/6159254.html?tag=latestnews;title;1

2. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

Sounds like the PS3, just like the 360, runs at some pretty high temperatures. Although, I wouldn't be concerned with how many consoles Sony sells this holiday season, I'm sure they'll sell every one they make. It's a question of how many consoles they can actually produce, and how many they sell farther in the future that may be of more concern.

3. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

Not really surprised really that the early ones would be overheating. Seems to always happen with first runs of consoles, I know that happened with my first PS2, the cooling system was crap and it burned out after 3 hours. I'm still going to wait a while before I get a PS3 and wait for all the kinks to get fixed and the price to go down a bit.

4. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

I don't even know if they've perfected the 360 yet. No suprise the PS3 will be buggy. But if it goes down, there'll be a long wait for a replacement, I'm sure.

5. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Unless they're going to absurd lengths to make a fake shortage more convincing this time around ;) 

6. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    History tells us all to wait.

I can't recall too many issues with Nintendo launches though. I think the Wii should come off without a hitch. But if not, I think it will be because of the sensor bar.

PS3 is just too shaky to spend that amount of money on right now.

7. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    Dear Sony,

PWNED!

Love, Nintendo.

:p 

8. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

Quoted for accuracy.

Seriously though... it's going to be a fun November.

9. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

I got my SNES at launch and it still works well.

10. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I can see how some of the units would have to be reset at the Tokyo show.

You have a lot of powerful units sitting near each other, all blowing out heat, factor in a huge number of people generating heat and all other electrical equipment, all contributing to the heat in the place and you are going to get problems.

Why else do you think that computer server room have to have there own AC units to keep the room chilled?

Where as a single unit, in a home and a well ventilated space shouldn't have much trouble.

Same thing would happen with any console, Nintendo included.

11. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Ive been saying this will happen for years now. Its going to be interesting at launch to see how many units have problems.

And Im sure the Wii launch will go off without a hitch(now watch me buy the only broken unit:p ). There is almost no dobut that the Wii is made out of Nintendium, so even the launch units should have little to no problems.

Yes, Im sure than TGS was warmer than room temperature, but the question is now how will it react next to all your equipment. TVs tend to put alot of heat out, as do some sound systems that Ive seen in peoples' living rooms. If they put it too close to that stuff, there could be a similiar effect as seen at TGS.

12. Skor

Skor I HATE U TRASH MONSTAAAR! TFW2005 Supporter

As Boardwise said, 30 odd units all running at top whack will throw out a lot of heat. My server room is kept at 16 degrees C with air-con, because without it, the Four servers in there would overheat in a matter of minutes.

In your home you're never likely to have the DVD, Video, Cable/Sky, TV, Radio, PS3, 360, personal massager, whatever all running at once. You'll only be using two items at once, at most. If you find yourself running more than that, go slap yourself.

The PS3 was just unlucky there I think.

Also, I doubt Nintendo have 'pwnd' Sony yet. Although they're currently struggling, we should wait before making such informed statements. Who knows what will happen. Maybe people in Europe fail to buy a Wii because they blush too much trying to ask for one in the shops, and therefore it's a total failure.

'I...I....need a wee?'

13. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I say it in public all the time...

And regardless how well it does elsewhere, it's sure to be a success in France.

I usually steer clear of all first run electronics, especially mains based stuff... 240V is a lot of voltage and I for one want other people to test it out first before I buy. Because of this this Christmas I 'think' I'll be getting a 360...

14. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

How is it accurate? Nintendo had nothing to do with it.

You both fail logic. Good day to you.

15. SocrManiac

SocrManiac TFW2005 Supporter

Uh... TV + receiver + one of cable box/DVD player/game console? That would be three (which is greater than two), and I don't think I should slap myself.

16. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

still..the fact that this aint the first game convension with couple dozen of systems going on at once...so if its heating up there, then Sony has something that needs looking into, cause at the next convension, they dont want another incident.

17. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Convention.

18. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

ha...damn still screwed it up....both times i was typing "conversion" too...dont know why that was stuck in my head.

19. Skor

Skor I HATE U TRASH MONSTAAAR! TFW2005 Supporter

You often watch TV and play a console at the same time there? I only do one at a time and turn off whatever i'm not currently using. You know, doing my part for climate change an' all that.

Also, you don't have to slap yourself if you don't want to, but you'd be surprised how many people will, given the chance.

20. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Some people only have one input of their desired format on their TV and don't want to mess with cumbersome A/V switch boxes. That means a setup like console->cable/satellite->VCR/DVD/Tivo->TV, with each device depending on the next one in line being powered-on.

If Sony's consoles are locking up and overheating more than usual at a convention, that's not good. As OmegaScourge pointed out, there have been plenty of crowded conventions in the past, and Sony's console should have been able to take it, or they should have taken precautions to keep the systems cool. That this happened shows that it was unexpected, unplanned for, and not nearly as "common sense" as they'd have us think (that or Sony themselves have no common sense). If it's a problem at the convention, it could easily be a problem in enclosed home media centers, not to mention problems with playing the system in an area with a hot climate. Users in Arizona may have a lot to complain about if they don't want to be forced into a high electric bill for air-conditioning. Large portions of South America, where it's hot all year, humid half of the year, and air-conditioning isn't seen as a big necessity could have an even harder time.