"Sorry to be the bearer of bad news..."

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by NCStarscream, Aug 18, 2011.

1. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    ...but today I saw Generations figures marked up to $14.89 at Target. This is not logical. I hope it's only temporary and not in effect when that last 2011 wave rolls around. I don't suppose the Transformer team is taking a page from the failtastic Star Wars team and marking them up because it's a "collector-targeted" line like Vintage Star Wars, which is how they justify the absurd $10.99 price tag I've seen on that assortment while two other Star Wars lines sit adjacent at several dollars less.

Edit: since the above text is not at all clear on this, I want to add that I've seen prices on various assortments of TFs and other lines I collect fluctuate all year, in all the stores I shop at (both brick & mortar and online), as I'm sure most of you have. I'm also well aware that - relatively speaking - prices in the US are lower than those in many other countries. My intention with this thread was to comment/speculate on whether or not there is anything more to this price change than a standard jump, simply because (1) it was isolated to the only current non-DOTM assortment at retail, (2) it's a Hasbro brand, whose pricing decisions with some of their other lines I cannot comprehend, and (3) this is a price increase of $3, which is a larger change to a standard shelf price (i.e., non-sale price) than I can recall seeing in any TF assortment in recent memory.

Also, the thread title isn't meant to be interpreted as complaining. I have very few issues with the TF brand in general and think Hasbro pretty much spoils us rotten with it. It's just my (now obviously failed) attempt at being funny by using part of an ROTF quote.

2. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

that's the price i was paying back in 2007.

3. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    The price increase isn't too incredibly far fetched, but the fact that they had the lack of sense to do it on shelfwarmers is.

4. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I'm pretty sure they do this every year ... and then the holidays come around and we'll be paying $9.99 for them again.

5. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    One more price increase and my collecting will take another nose dive.

6. meirelle

meirelle Sea of Shelfwarmers

That's what I pay online for them, so I'm not too concerned.

7. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    And suddenly $39.99 for the TRU exclusive 3 pack doesn't seem so bad.

8. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Bloodsail Admiral

I see it as target marking them up to mark them down for the holidays. Its almost time for those mark downs afterall.

9. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    $14.99 is better than the Canadian $16.99 AND our dollar is currently stronger.

10. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's almost the price Canadians have to pay regularly...

11. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    WHO CARES!!!

seriously, people are cheap. i collect things that are WAY more expensive than damn transformers. if you want something save and get it, if not, oh well.

deluxes should of been this price a LONG time ago anyways, it was just artificially lower thanks to wal-mart

take for example the new 6 inch thundercat toys, they are $15 each and are fantastic figures worth their price. a deluxe transformer is WAY more complicated than them and for now is cheaper. one day deluxes will get to $20, and they will still be worth the price

12. havanowoncheese

You are absolutely right but it is the fandoms right to bitch about a small price increase. But honestly going along with this either get comfortable with shrinking figures like DOTM or higher prices.

13. NCStarscream

News Credits:
    I'm hoping it's just temporary in the lull between movie hype and holiday hype. I know the prices of DOTM Deluxes have crept up at all the stores I frequent by a dollar or two since the movie's release.

The parallel to the Star Wars line's pricing is what aggravated me more than anything else...I used to be a pretty big SW collector and the price tags on those figures is what drove me away. I'd hate for something similar to happen with TFs.

14. blur3479

blur3479 Movie Prime Apologist

News Credits:
    That sucks ball bearings

15. alternator77

alternator77 Well-Known Member

seeing as tru has been at it for a while im not surprised. and considering we often pay upwards of 40-50 dollars for third party figs i dont think its that big of a deal.

16. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    You should see the price on the thundercats stuff. $17.99 for 6" figures, $19.99 for 8".

17. NCStarscream

News Credits:
    Yeah, I saw those 6" ones the other day at TRU and thought that was a bit excessive.

I know prices of things in general are just part of the current economic climate and I didn't mean to create the impression that I was complaining just for the sake of it, or that I felt cheated out of my money, or anything like that. Just thought it was noteworthy because it was the largest single price increase on any TF assortment I'd seen in a while, and because it was isolated to the only non-DOTM assortment on the shelves now.

...and that similarity to the dang SW stuff, which is a line I will whine about :p 

18. havanowoncheese

Usually when we see threads about price increases there is a lot of bitching so for some members its just force of habit. Especially since we always see one of these threads after the holiday price cuts end.

19. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Realistically, $2 is not that bad. But it is startling at first to see. Then you get home and are like, well I paid $150 for that guy without blinking.

20. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    What a dirty way to make DOTM toys look like a value :lol