Sorry, I still don't fully understand what power core combiners are

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Shizuka, Mar 30, 2010.

1. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    Essentially they're just dumbed-down Energon combiners. Strange limbs, gawdy colours but they do have one positive about them - they seem to be good kitbashing fodder :) . But that's about it.

2. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    Yeah, me too. I'll pronanly get the two packs (Smolder for sure at least) but definitely passing on the 5 packs.

3. mac&cheese

mac&cheese Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    wow thanks for the info and the thread, i had no clue what these were either.

4. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I may be in the minority here (for once!) but I actually think some of these are cool. I don't mind non-transforming robot limbs because I am a Power Rangers fan too, and it fits with what I've liked.

5. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Yea I'm not a big fan of translucent mini-cons with the figures so it's too bad they couldn't have put the translucent ones as a variant figure and offered up some mini-cons made of better plastic.

I don't mind a bit of silly but translucent mini-cons cross that line over to too silly.

6. Stune

Stune Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This. These look like a ton of fun, and while I'm not impressed with the first two sets of limbs, or the individual scouts Bombshock and Skyburst for that matter, Huffer, Smolder and Backwind are bought.

7. Grimlockprime16

Grimlockprime16 Me Grimlock King!

I really wanted to get these but now that I know that the limbs dont haave robots modes I will be passing on it. Im sure I will end up getting a few of the scouts tho just not the limbs.

8. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Smolder looks great.
    will get him.

I will have to see the aerialbots 5 pack in hand before i buy that.
    i am a bit bummed by the drones being just that, but if the vehicles for the aerialbot set look good, i can afford to get just that one set.

but will i collect the PCC line entirely? not by a damn sight. I gots better bots to buy.

9. Edgewise

Edgewise Fanner

News Credits:
    For $20, and with the 'drone vehicles' on Smolder's packaging blurb, I never understood why people expected the limbs to have robot modes...

No robot modes is a bit of a downer, but not my deciding factor. The Arielbot gestalt just doesn't look good. The Combaticon gestalt, I'll buy just to test the waters of the 5-packs and to have at least 1 set of limbs to put on any of the Commander figures.

I haven't been a big fan of automorph stuff, but that little demo video from Toy Fair actually made it look kinda cool for the Combaticons. Though it also looks like it causes the limbs to lack not just a limb robot mode, but useful articulation as well. ...at least the arms. The legs should have hips & knees thanks to the torso-bot.

10. Sizzle

Sizzle Sparkabot

People are complaining about this gimmick as if it were any different than Targetmasters or Headmasters back in the 80s.

I will treat this line the same as I treat any other line. Them that's good, I'll buy. Them that's shit, I'll not.

11. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

Because they're Transformers.

12. Edgewise

Edgewise Fanner

News Credits:
    Really??? Well the limbs do transform! And the torso transforms including a robot mode.

We knew the pricepoint(how much can you expect for $20?) and we knew the term drone vehicles was used(how can you expect drone vehicles to have robot modes?)

13. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

Just because people are aware that a new toy is coming out doesn't mean they've read the fine details about it. I can't speak for others, but I don't usually read press releases about toys. I've learned the drone thing from reading people comment in threads like this one. When people hear that new combiners are coming out they might assume they'd be like just about all of the previous combiners that transformed into bots as opposed to just limbs.

14. Edgewise

Edgewise Fanner

News Credits:
    Sure, some people are unaware about fine details, no problem with that, but that's not everybody. I say I don't understand why people expected robot modes with the term drone vehicles, so I'm talking about people that were aware of that term.

Drone Vehicles wasn't first mentioned in a press release, but it was gleaned from Smolder's packaging blurb before toyfair and was discussed and noted quite a bit in the threads about PCC at that time.

15. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

To be fair though there is nothing in the word drone to suggest there is no robot mode. This is Transformers so some people might have figured the drones were something like a Transformer without a spark or something like that.

Plus people are so used to robot modes with each vehicle that it just takes a while for it to really sink in that Hasbro is trying something different. I mean remember all the stuff with movie Devastator not having robot modes only vehicle modes and Devastator mode. Took forever for that to sink in for some people. And people complained the same as they do now for Power Core.

16. aey103

aey103 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Was on the fence with these figures and I still will take a wait and see attitude but I wasn't aware until now that the 2 pack figure could also use the 5 pack's limbs to form a larger combiner. That fact may push me a little towards picking a 2 pack and 5 pack up to see how they are.

17. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    My thoughts exactly, I only like Huffer and Searchlight but the rest are meh. I'm waiting patiently for TF Generations.

18. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    I'm hoping that this new line turns into Hasbro's gateway drug for a Universe 3.0 combining Devastator made up of deluxe-sized figures.

19. Sizzle

Sizzle Sparkabot

I'm sorry, but that's your own fault. There are numerous sites and venues on the internet to read EVERY. SINGLE. DETAIL. about any figure that's coming out. I don't give a damn if it's ROTF Legends Wheelie, somebody somewhere has done a video review, text review or some shit about it. There is absolutely ZERO reason for someone to be uninformed about their purchases in this day and age. If you buy something and find out you don't like it, then it's pretty much your fault.