Sorority Girls booted for not being pretty?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jux, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    I want to join a REAL fraternal organization, the Elks or Moose or Eagles. You know, named after a tasty animal. I want to play poker with legless Korea War vets and smoke cigars. And talk about Saigon whores and the myriad diseases they can give you.

Only problem is, I'm 30 years too young.

2. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    there should be a tfw2005 fraternity, old school style.

you my boy blue

3. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    Aren't sororities and fraternities for guys and gals that can't grow up and need to gang as if they were still kids?

4. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    be careful when throwing around 'dont want to grow up' accusations.

you might be posting on a board for toy collectors.

5. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

The unassuming ones do it either for a cause or to "fit in." The ones doing it for a cause I can respect. The ones doing it just so they can fit in, not so much.

But I'm still dealing with my parents telling me the reason I didn't "fit in" in college was because I wouldn't shave my beard and cut my hair. Yeah, because you never see a long-haired, bearded guy in college.

I've run into the "greek lifers" out in the wild after college who help each other out with jobs and still play the same old "keep everybody else away" game they played in school. Exclusivity doesn't do a lot for me I guess.

6. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

:lol 

7. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

Bahahahahaaha! Greatest thing I have heard all day. Man, I can't wait till I get to University. PARTY!

8. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Well, at least the wierd girls aren't vacuous superficial bitches.

9. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

The college I went to has a ban on fraternities, sororities, and has no football team, so that students will hopefully focus more on, oh I dunno, being at college and actually learning academic stuff.
    QFT

10. Night Flame

Correction. MOST of the weird girls aren't vacuous superficial bitches. Some of them are, they just haven't figured out how to put it into practice yet.

I had a buddy who went to a college that would shut down at noon on Fridays because it was such a party town that no one would show up for classes Friday afternoons anyway. Obviously, they had THEIR priorities figured out.

11. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    Vacuous people suck.

12. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I suppose that would be one of the literal implications of the word.

13. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    I think it depends on the situation you're in and what university you're going to.

For example, UC Berkeley has a HUGE Greek system in place here and it is vital to them? Why? Lack of housing provided by the university.

When the city's apartment owners are charging an arm and a leg even for shitty old dilapidated closets and passing them off as liveable apartments, a lot of students turn to the Greek system since they all have housing here and lots of rooms.

So in that case I can see why joining a fraternity or sorority is a good idea.

On the flip side, UNLV didn't have a good Greek system because they weren't allowed to have houses. Plus with apartments/condos/etc plentiful, there was really no need for the Greek system to have housing.

That was basically why I quit rushing midway. There was no point. It was basically paying people to be my friends which I felt was rather silly.

14. PopCulturePooka

PopCulturePooka Longest running avatar

News Credits:
    I've met lots of weird girls that are also vacuous superficial bitches, just not overtly, hollywood movie style.

15. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Never dated a sorostitute. I've been with a cheerleader and a dance team member, but never a sorostitute.

...and you know what? Female physical dexterity in the thigh and waist area FTMFW.

16. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

How many people in the Greek life system did you spend time with on a regular basis in college?

17. butz

butz slippery when wet

It seems like nearly all the sorority girls I've encountered were on the husky side, regardless of what house they went to. Thats probably exclusive to my area though. I'm guessing it was a way to boost their self confidence and such moreso than be stuck-up and party all the time.

18. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop!

It's things like this that make me glad I went to community college.

19. Night Flame

Depends on what you mean by "spent time with." I wasn't in college long, but I got laughed at by them on a daily basis while I was there. Pretty much reinforced my view of them as a way for people to cling to the high school cliches they were so scared they were going to lose when they left home. Heck, the ones that were the worst were made up of people that had come from the same home towns.

But if we're heading down that path, and I'm sure we're only a few posts away from it, I didn't study them for four years to truly gain a wonderful appreciation for all they had to offer me, so I'm pretty sure my opinion is completely invalid on the matter.

20. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I would have to say this is a reflection of that school, Depauw, as well. I've been there several times and have friends that went there. The atmosphere of the school could be very shallow at times.

Now, to the stereotyping of fraternities and sororites. That crap really really pisses me off. People that have a set idea of guys in a fraternity being a bunch of spoiled rich kids have either an extremely limited view of the greek system or accept what is presented in the news, such as this story, as an accepted fact among fraternities.

I was in a fraternity in college and we were anything but the stereotype. They are some of my best friends today. Hell, we had a room we called Fatmandu because two 400+ guys lived in there. Why Fatmandu you ask? Because skinny ment don't. We were a bunch of diverse laid back guys that had fun together. I didn't buy my way into anything. I will say that my rush was completely dry and 7 weeks long. Most schools don't have this luxury and I wish they did. I had plenty of time to figure out which group of guys I liked to hang out with. Even then, they had to give me a bid, I didn't just get in because I liked the fraternity.

This was already said in this thread, but fraternities and sororites differ greatly from college to college. Don't take what your experience is at one school as gospel at all other schools.