Sony thinking of removing PSP features?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by peeman, Nov 10, 2006.

1. peeman

peeman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    http://pspupdates.qj.net/Sony-thinking-of-removing-features-from-PSP-firmware-/pg/49/aid/72352

i'll copy and paste some of it below

"With all of the new bells and whistles promised with firmware 3.0, it seems that there might be a shortage of space on the flash to actually deploy all the features. I wouldn't take any guesses, but I'm sure the so-hyped PS1 emulator uses a lot of space. Similarly, the PS3-PSP interconnectivity won't be easy either.

And well, it seems that while 3.0 might bring in a lot of good stuff, a few people might see some of the older features missing. And no, this isn't any rumor either; Sony's latest survey going out with the Rachet and Clank betas suggests that they want to know the features which are used the least. In the accompanying picture, thanks to PSP Fanboy, we have a small list:

Watching video content
    Listen to music
    View photos
    RSS feeds subscription
    Internet browsing
    Use as a storage device"

oh dear

2. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

Sounds good to me. I say strip the PSP of everything but the game playing, then I'd buy one. I'm looking for a portable video game console, not a tiny little movie player and MP3 player. It's too much money for something that I don't want.

3. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Or something you can do as well as playing games... at no extra cost.

My mind boggles how people don't see these extra features as -good- things.

4. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

In my case, using the on button.

5. peeman

peeman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    HAHA :) 

Problem is though i rekon you are paying for them, once you add in the price of a memory card its pretty much twice the price of the nintendo DS, and the games arn't as good

IF they took these features out and lowered the price i would be interested in one but i highly doubt they will lower the price

6. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

I've no complaints about the hardware, just the lack of games. Which as it was pointed out isn't Sony's fault - with Nintendo's strong foothold in the portable market, developers can't be blamed for going where the sure money is.

7. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Logic and reason! Logic and reason! BEGONE! BEEEEGONE!

8. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    I use all of those. Take out the umd function. Who the hell buys a psp AND games?

9. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Removing websurfing and video-watching would be great ways to make someone like me get rid of mine. >.>

Seriously, half the reason I kept it was because I could watch movies and websurf sometimes on the go without carrying a laptop everywhere. Tossing the PSP's main unique draws outside of its lackluster gaming library for...portable PS1?...ain't really something I can wave a flag for. Just have the damned emulator store itself on the memory stick, one would figure you'd need one for PS1 games anyway.

Oh well. Not like I'm expecting to have to upgrade my firmware for a game release anytime soon. :D 

10. jet convoy

jet convoy Beast Wars Forever!!!

Hmm, I'm definately buying a PSP for Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops. I was hoping to use the music storage thing as well, because I'm not gonna buy both an iPod and a PSP.

I don't get these PSP upgrades, since I'mnot very PSP savvy. So after a while, people's PSP's won't play movies and stuff? Or do you have to download the upgrades or something?

11. Vangelus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The only time you -have- to upgrade your firmware is when a game requires it (strategy is to bundle those into bigtime anticipated releases). If it does, it'll have the firmware upgrade built into the UMD, and not let you play it until you plug into a wall outlet and upgrade.

12. jet convoy

So if I want, I can keep the whole play movies (which I don't care much about) and MP3 stuff (which I do care about)? However, I also want the PS1 emulator. That would be a problem huh?

13. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Time to finally sell mine.

I'm still waiting for the holy grail of handheld gadgets that can play games, mp3s, video, pda functions, and have a 20gb hard drive. Is that too much to ask?

14. Vangelus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    -If- media play gets tossed for the PS1 emulator, then yeah. I'm really sure they'd get rid of the useless LocationFree Player interface first though.

Gonna hold out that Sony doesn't drop the stupid hammer on my poor battered shiny black techsex. :( 

15. jet convoy

I see. Damn, the PSP has so much stuff that I don't know about. No wonder it costs so much. How much does the DS cost, BTW? Not that I'm gonna buy one, since its games don't appeal to me. Just wanna know.

16. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

The DS actually has games....

17. jet convoy

But they don't appeal to me. Also, PSP has Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops, and the PS1 emulators. And I can use it to store music. That makes it the fucking win.

18. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    Even if the game says you have to update the firmware, DO NOT DO IT.

Use devhook instead. It emulates higher firmwares perfectly, and still allows you to play all the homebrew games, apps and emulators. The firmware version you want to have is 1.5. If you have a higher firmware version than that, you can use homebrew downgraders. Do your research on these first, because they access the PSP's onboard flash memory. A wrong move can turn it into a brick.

There is also the custom firmware, which has the unsigned homebrew-running ability of the japanese original firmware 1.0, with the features and umd-playing ability of 2.7. Like the downgraders, this is something you have to be very careful about.

But if you've got your 1.5 firmware, you're set. Allowing games to run off the memory stick is one of the dumbest things Sony ever did, and I thank them for it.

19. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

If I want music I'll use my iPod, I want to play funy games on a gamesystem I'll use my DS thank you.

20. jet convoy

Well, its basic math. I can afford an iPod and a PSP. I originally did not want a PSP. Once MGS: Portable Ops was announced I just had to have it. Then since it can play music like an iPod, and is gonna have the upcoming PS1 emulator, Sony already has a guaranteed customer in the form of me.