Sony steps in it, Chapter 87

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by misterd, Jul 6, 2006.

1. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

2. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

*blinks*
    I have nothing to say seriusly sony is really making hard for me not to hate them, or laugh at them

but this is just. .... whatever you wanna call it

Im leaning towars weird and wrong

3. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

I think this is a perfect example of what happens when a company is having trouble. I am gracious enough to accept that the PR people who came up with this ad didn't see it in racist terms, and are suprised at the response. However, Sony has had such scrutiny applied to them of late, and as top dog has so many people rooting for their failure, that any misstep, no matter how slight, is going to be pounced upon with vigor.

4. artiepants

artiepants Just over here punching Unicron.

News Credits:
    holy shit. all they would ahve had to do was have them both be caucasian models and dressed in white and black, point would have been made and no racist overtones apparent. good grief, that's just asinine in this day and age.

5. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I dont see anything racist about the ad. there's OTHER ads in this same line with white and black whatever featured. there's an add where the black person seems to be threatening the white person too. it goes both ways. ONLY the ad with the white person threatening the black person has gained attention. why not the other one? because this fucked up world thinks any time a white person threatens or intimidates a black person that it's racism.

people today can interpret damn near anything as racism. its disgusting. its just an advertisement, get over it.

6. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

Word.

7. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I think it's pretty hard NOT to see racist overtones in that.

Even if you can't see it, you have to imagine what average joe schmo on the street will see in that and throw a fit about.

Now, if they were kissing, it would have a whole different meaning. They should make out. White is coming, yessssssss.

8. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

That's a very good point. Everyone has an agenda, and they are willing to ignore the information that doesn't suit what they want.

9. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

I personally know its an add interpretation and point of view is a bad thing to mess up and granted I can see where you guys are comming from, yet I dunno I just cant find myself even aproving that add. feeels .....weird. thats whats on my head,

10. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    True. But Sony is responsible for thousands, if not millions of employees and shareholders and they have no reason to push the envelop when it comes to racial disparity.

11. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    They have the attention of the entire gaming population of the internet now. thats reason enough.

12. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

In other words, the overtones of "'racial tension" (to put it kindly) are intentional. I understand that Sony would want to try to grab everyone's attention, what with the DS kicking their ass and all, but I find this to be in very poor taste and extremely questionalble jugement.

13. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

Well it's not their first racist add. If you remember the squirrels. Though those were more exploitive than offensive, they were all in pretty poor taste.

I think VGcats did a pretty good comic on that recently.

What ever happened to advertising "hey we have a great product, and some games you want to play so buy it."

14. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

That strategy flew out the window with everyone except Nintendo when the Sega Genesis came out.

15. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Thats in very poor taste IMO.

On a related note, why the fuck cant Sony make any good ads for the PSP?

16. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

If it's just an advertisement, then why hasn't Sony released the ad in the US?

Because the US has a brutal history of white dominance over black minorities.

Sony, and the ad agency, purposefully went for a provocative, controversial image. That's fine - I think it can be an effective way of marketing. However, I take Sony's not releasing the ad in the US, and keeping it in Europe, as a sign that even they know it's not the best marketing decision and that even they see the racial tones the ad conveys.

17. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

QFT.

And to Jux,

Sony Computer Entertainment have offices around the world who deal with the marketing of their products to their given territory. They have them all over Europe, Australia, America and a lot of other places too. Their job is to market products to consumers. One overmind in japan is not familiar enough with cultural differences to make the distinction hence why Sony use this smaller marketing cells to cater to the audience.

The Dutch gets this, the Americans get stoner Mexican squirrels.

Sony Europe can't magically say "Hey YAnks, put this up on the back of a bus." it just doesn't work that way. At all.

18. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    :confused2 

19. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

The add sucks imo

20. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

I can understand the different marketing in different regions, and I've never seen Sony as a particularly racist company - I just think this advertisement, as well as the squirrels, aren't in the best taste. But Sony got a company that specializes in "disruptive" marketing, and the results seem to have worked - it's got people talking about the PSP.

I guess in the end, it really boils down to perspective.