Sony spreads lies about competition in new "fact sheet"

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Valkysas, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    This really pisses me off. http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/19/sony-claims-xbox-360-requires-hd-dvd-etc-thus-costs-700/

Their next-gen "fact sheet" states that you need to buy an HD-DVD drive for the 360, and says that a Hard Drive is required too, which brings their "total cost" to $698. They also say that a hard drive or memory unit is required for the wi-fi adapter. ANOTHER straight up lie.

They also state that online support for the wii is free for the first six months, despite it actually being completely free, forever. its the browser for the wii that will cost money if you don't download it before june.

There's no way them to defend this behavior. its complete bullshit.

2. j3

j3 Kiefer is my Big Boss TFW2005 Supporter

They clearly mean to show comparable systems at the lowest price. A HDD is required for a lot of 360 functions, and the HD-DVD is added for comparison to PS3's Blu-Ray movies; and if games ever ship on it. Is it "deceptive," a little; but it's not outright lies.

3. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

is it somewhat of a low move

yeah

will I support them this generation-Until they have a price of a current ps2

4. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I agree with j3. Deceptive, and sketchy, but not an outright lie. If anything, it shows the flaw in pricing between the core and premium packages of the 360.

5. Caterwaul

Caterwaul Busou Shinki Loremaster

They labeled those bits 'Required to buy' Not required for many functions. Not required to be comparable. Required. As in no choice in the matter. That's what rubs me wrong.

That word packs a LOT of meaning and I dont think Sony thought this one through to well.

6. j3

j3 Kiefer is my Big Boss TFW2005 Supporter

Yes. They are 'Required to buy' for a comparable system.

Everyone is too quick to lash out at Sony, ignoring any obvious implications.

7. angeltread

angeltread TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    it's deceptive in that it's not descriptive enough. just using the word 'requires' by itself is what's deceiving... if they'd said "comparable setup requires: ", that would be different.

edit: heh, posted at the same time... but i didn't lash out at sony, though that's always tempting :) 

8. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    As one guy noted at that site, many people already have 360s so the whole thing is moot :lol 

Being this late to the game while trying to compare yourself as the "value" product is really silly. Here's the bottom line question: What does PS3 have that 360 does not? Anyone?

9. funkatron101

Ebay:
    Bluray games. 360 games will not be HDDVD games, therefore PS3 offers more storage for its gaming.

Tivo capabilities. The 360 in itself only offers a media center hub, which requires a PC with media center to take advantage of.

The motion sensor controller. 360 doesn't have that.

10. Caterwaul

Caterwaul Busou Shinki Loremaster

But they didnt say for a 'comparable system'. You can imply it sure, but not everyone who can possibly look at this is going to make the connection. It's misleading, and I find it hard to believe Sony accidentally left that off. In marketing you need to be VERY exact in what you say which is why commercials have disclaimers everywhere.

11. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's really just some crafty chartsmithing to create more heat and hype.

And really, if you bought the cheap 360, 90% odds are that you will end up buying the "required" accessories.

Nothing really new, just companies out to create chatter and thus $$$. Personally think Sony needs to take as many marketing swipes as it can, seeing how the 360 has months of shelftime on the PS3. Like Nightrain mentioned, lotsa people have 360s already. :lol 

12. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

j3 is awesome.

Everyone else, less so. Except Vangelus, who rules the school.

13. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

I'd say it's pretty deceptive. Intentional or not, I can't say. I can't read the mind's of Sony's marketing department. Probably it was intentional, they mention a lot of stuff that isn't needed to play games, therefore you aren't required to buy most of that stuff. If they switched to the more expensive versions the only thing that Sony has over MS is the 60GB HDD and the wireless adapter packaged in. If MS came out with a larger HDD to buy it would still end up being less than the $599 total. So Sony kinda lied, but really it's "creative marketing".

Which means that Sony IS evil afterall.

14. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If that's the 'angle' Sony was taking, then they would have added a stand alone Blu-Ray or HD-DVD player to the cost of the Wii to make it 'comparable'. Funny how they left that out, isn't it?

15. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nobody brings up the Wii because it basically won E3. *sage nod*

It's also at such a different pricepoint, I wouldn't consider it part of the near-direct competition between the 360 and the PS3.

16. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

I'd say that's a dubious advantage at best considering that even DVD games don't make good use of the storage capacity.

17. funkatron101

Ebay:
    It's an advantage. It remains to be seen if they will make good use of it. The HD storage and possibility of multiple language packs would be a good start.

18. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

It could also be seen as a detriment. The larger capacity may just encourage sloppy compression techniques and massive amounts of movies (kinda like what happened with the CD to DVD change).

19. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    There are still some lies in there. saying you need a hard drive or a memory unit to use the wi-fi adapter isnt true at all. saying the wii's online service will cost money after 6 months isnt true either. the internet browser will cost money if you don't download it for free within the first six months.

20. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Yeah I dunno. An optimist would think larger capacity = longer games = more levels, more characters, more weapons etc. But I play something like Prey and find out I have to sit through a barrage of bad polygon acting before getting to do anything.

The whole more space = better games thing stems from the Sega CD days when it was so awesome that Mortal Kombat, while still having mostly crappy(but tolerable) graphics, would at least have the real arcade sounds. On the flip side, they also used that space to insert a full motion music video.