Sony shooting themselves in the foot yet again?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by pinoy78, Mar 1, 2007.

1. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

2. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I love how they act all self righteous when they're basically trying to censor the Internet media.
    Translation: We won't work with news outlets that won't print (or refrain from printing) what we tell them to.

3. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

Sony asked that the rumor not be made public. It may not be in their best interest, but it is their choice who they do and who they don't provide access to based on previous experiences.

4. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
    Sony's PR has finally lost their mind. What the hell do they think this move will do? We should just go ahead and call this rumor, "Playstation Home", true. I do have to admit that blending the Wii's Mii Channel and X-Box 360's achievement points does sound cool but now if Nintendo or Microsoft try it Sony will say how they are copying them. When will this stop? If Sony starts this crap with sites like IGN or companies like Ziff Davis (1UP.com and EGM magazine) then what? They seem hellbent to destroy their public image.

5. flamepanther

And backed it up with threats and intimidation. You can't spin an attempt to force the media to line up with what you want said as being a good thing. They're an independent gaming news source, not a company mouthpiece for Sony. The ethics of trying to shape what the media reports to your exact specifications are questionable at best.
    Sure it is, but in this case it was a really stupid choice, and it's backfiring. They should have responded to Kotaku with the "we can't confirm this" line, and let it go. Kotaku might not even have reported it if Sony had responded differently when Kotaku contacted them about the accuracy of the rumor. For someone in charge of PR to hurt public relations is a bad thing for the company, and clearly makes it the wrong choice. And stupid.

6. MilkManX

MilkManX TF Comicbook Fan

Wow. So far this year SONY is on a roll with its PR machine. LMAO!

7. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Kotaku was asked politely not to run the story/rumor. They chose to run it anyway and Sony chose to take away their exclusive privileges. Both sides had a choice to make and they made it. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the outcome will hurt Kotaku much more than it hurts Sony. And welcome to big business. This happens all the time.

8. DrSpengler

DrSpengler The Real Ghostbuster

It sorta looks like Kotaku's trying to "martyr" itself in the "fight against Sony" or something along those lines. A bit transparent and I don't think worth the cost, as losing those exclusivity priviledges is gonna hit them hard in the news department, when dozens of other blogs are reporting up to the minute on Sony news while Kotaku is left in the relative dark.

9. flamepanther

You sure? Kotaku loses a test PS3, and the chance to parrot the official Sony company line more often than they otherwise might. In return, they get a reputation for integrity, standing up to big business intimidation, and distinguish themselves from the sites and magazines who have long been suspected of getting paid for publishing what the big companies want printed. Sony further damages their public image, setting themselves up as a corporate bully that tries to control the media. In return, they get... nothing. I think Kotaku wins this one.

10. j3

j3 Kiefer is my Big Boss TFW2005 Supporter

Not to mention there are generally good reasons to not want rumors to run. For example, they could possibly promise things the service won't be capable of; then you just feel disappointed with the actual thing. Sony is in every right to want to announce it on their own terms.

11. flamepanther

That may be the case, but they had better options about how to handle it.

12. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They can't even make up their own stuff, so they resort to stealing...again. :lol 

13. 03Mach1

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  14. j3

j3 Kiefer is my Big Boss TFW2005 Supporter

Seems kind of fair to me. Big company asks weblog not to run rumors about upcoming new service. Weblog runs it anyway. Big company removes weblog's privileged (and free) access to their content, news, exclusives, etc. Weblog isn't entitled to these, and it only makes sense that Big company would expect a modicum of respect and restraint. It's good to see they made up, but it was hardly a blow against Sony.

15. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

You'd think they'd need to stop and reload at some point. How many bullets are there in that gun?

That said, I can't entirely blame Sony here. I don't know WHY they didn't want the information released, and I'm a bit sick of internet "journalists" who believe that the job is tell everyone everything as quickly as possible, without caring about the consequences.

I think Sony should have played nicer, but the website wasn't being terribly responsible either. They pissed on this relationship for vague info from an anonymous source who couldn't be backed up by independent parties. If its true, Sony should have played it more coyly. But if it's not, this could pump up expectations and end up giving Sony a PR black eye.

Again.

Which serves no one, including the website.

16. 03Mach1

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    100%. Ask Lik-Sang how much any of what you wrote matters.

17. flamepanther

In other words, Sony realized their blunder and took it back. I say good for them for starting to admit their mistakes. Keep it up, Sony, and maybe you'll learn how to catch flies with honey instead of vinegar.
    Legitimate gaming news blog vs occasionally "gray area" Hong Kong mail-order business? A weak comparison indeed. After this latest change of events, Sony loses a little bit less, and Kotaku wins even more.

18. 03Mach1

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If they are so 'legitimate', they would have shown Sony some professional courtesy and held off on publishing a rumor when specifically asked by the PR director. And the comparison to Lik-Sang was not to argue legitimacy, it was to point out that Sony would drub ANY small company. Regardless of their ethics.

19. flamepanther

Sony also didn't show Kotaku the professional courtesy of offering anything other than threats. They had other much better options open to them than bullying, but they seem to be too used to it from their dealings with the game magazines.

When Sony found a judge that agreed with them, Lik-Sang lost the legal grounds for their entire business. Kotaku lost only the right to attend certain press conferences. They still had access to any event not controlled by Sony, the option to publish any rumors they saw fit, and still had all their connections with Microsoft, Nintendo (both of which are currently more popular than Sony anyway), etc. intact, and Sony could do absolutely nothing further to them. That's really not so bad. Sony's remission of the blackballing confirms that they saw the error of their judgment.

20. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The main issue I see is that Sony may be falling towards the same "bad hype" pattern that trailed the PSP (their mass number of anti-homebrew firmware updates, with only a few having any notable user-side benefit). Like, not enough good news to balance out the bad news.

Eh, I just think it'd be a shame for the PS3 to get drowned in even more of this kinda stuff when it oughta have a big positive push behind it.