Sony says Xbox 360 is too expensive...

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by rattrap007, Jan 8, 2009.

1. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    From IGN
    :lolol  Gotta love the irony of this. Well you could spend a little more and get the pro for $100 less than PS3 and have a system with far better online and better games. PS3 is grasping at straws with this. It is so sad and pathetic.

Want to say that X-Box 360 has system failures fine that is a legitimate criticism. But trying to say that X-Box is expensive because they take the bare bones system (which is ironically half the basic PS3) and then add every possible accessory and say it is expensive, that is just stupid

2. GW_Freak

GW_Freak Banned

Well SONY would say that wouldn't they?

What's next? McDonald's bitching that Burger King is too expensive?

3. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I agree with Sony 100%. Good luck playing Burnout Paradise on that 360 Arcade model.

4. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    That's the most bullshit thing I've ever seen! jajaj

I don't need WiFi on my 360. And older models don't have hdmi? haha, well the new ones do. And what about backwards compatibility? This is absurd.

My favorite part is the many add ons hahaha. My 360 connected online takes up less space them my ps3 and what about the PS3 requiring mulitaps for, oh, I don't know since it's inception! And the constant charging of my PS3 controller with that short annoying cable is annoying. I mean the PS3 is the only system where my controller has a life span AND wires!

5. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    Well, they aren't really comparing things accurately at all.

I am by no means a fan of Microsoft, but at least with the Arcade model, they give consumers the choice of whether they want to add on the other things which Sony includes as mandatory in their SKUs.

Even as the article says, Sony doesn't mention the Xbox Pro at all which would be a more apt comparison.

The PS3 definitely has its merits and some advantages over the Xbox, but price and value, are not those things.

6. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Well to be fare I do agree that Microsoft does tend to nickle and dime you to death on pretty much everything they do.

7. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I know, I just like messing with people.

8. knook

knook Let the Virus Consume You

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I find them both too expensive :p 

anyway, I still think 360 is the best deal around (for me at least)

9. Takao

Takao Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wah, a company bashing another because it's trying to make money????
    *GASP* That's never been heard of!

10. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Okay, lets take the Pro system (which I just bought) and compare it to a PS3 and see how much that'll cost to get equal functionality.

360 Pro System - 300
    Play and charge kit - 20
    Wifi adapter - 100
    Xbox Live Gold - 50 (per year, so the cost never stops rising)

that's $470. and yes, these are things that most gamers require. we want online play, we want wifi, we want rechargable controllers. and consider that every year you still want online play with the 360, it's gonna be $50 more. by the end of it's lifespan, a 360 owner will pay hundreds of dollars more than a PS3 owner paid for a semi-equal package.

If we try comparing the elite, we just add another hundred dollars onto the above price ($570!), and no added functionality.

The only thing the 360 comes with that the PS3 doesnt is a basic headset.

so yes, a comparable 360 is more expensive that a PS3.

no irony, no grasping at straws. not sad, not pathetic.

Microsoft does force too many accessories onto people. wifi should be built in. if the $130 DS can have Wifi, than the $200-300 360 can too. also no excuse for charging more for rechargable battery packs, it should be built into the controller (nintendo screwed up on this one too).

With both my Wii and 360, buying the console just led to more purchases later on. 360 led to me buying a gold subscription and a wifi adapter. wii led to me buying the nyko charge station. with my PS3, every last thing I needed was in the box, and I liked that a whole lot. if I want to use a bigger hard drive with the PS3, I can put any 2.5 SATA drive I feel like into the system, and not have to buy an overpriced hard drive in a proprietary shell.

the money adds up, fast.

11. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I know it's the tiniest thing on the shopping list, but to be honest I have never found myself wishing I had the rechargable battery packs for the controllers. I got a lot of rechargable AA batteries, and am rarely ever left without spares to pop in if the ones I'm using die out.

12. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Sony forgot to mention the free games that come with most new Xbox's now.

And the 60 GIG HDD bundle includes 1 year of live gold for 100.

I will give them that the wireless adapter is expensive but it's only a luxury and not required.

PS3 dropped the ball when they removed ALL backward compatability,the 4 ports and memory card slots.(I had a original 60GIG and replaced it this year with a new one.)I miss most of those features.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  13. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    Well, I really don't see how all of these things are mandatory. For gaming, I'd rather have a wired connection than a wireless one. Aside from that, if I did want a wireless connection, you can buy any one of a number of wireless routers to use in the place of Microsoft's WiFi adapter. Those don't cost $100.

The Play and Charge kit is unnecessary if, like me, you have a plethora of rechargeable batteries around the house. Even if you don't already have rechargeable batteries, why not use that $20 toward a good charger and a pack of AAs? They're not restricted to Xbox 360 usage only and the charger can then be used for other electronics.

As for Xbox Live Gold, the official cost is $50, but I've never paid more than $35 for the three cards I've purchased. Newegg and Amazon are both retailers I've used in the past.

So really the list you provided is only for those who would pay exactly the MSRP on official Microsoft products. Why would one do that though when other alternatives exist?

14. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    because that's what most consumers do.

15. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah this isn't so farfetched to warrant that many LOLs. And no matter how many people paint Live as the equivalent of 6 bucks a month, a person on a budget, like me, doesn't look at it that way, and it's value isn't so enticing to me. No... It's not 6 bucks a month.. It's 60 bucks at once. So this month, I won't buy a game, to play online on my 360, to download demos before other do. No, it's not 6 bucks a month, it's 60 bucks right now. I can't ask for that money to be divided. MS divides it in imagination land and makes it more of a deal, but I'm not going to buy Prince of Persia this month, so I can get another year of something that, to my eyes, isn't THAT significantly better. I still play Resistance with my friends, I still play LBP online, and I still do PLENTY online without problems on the PS3, so no, it's not worth NOT buying a game this month to go online with my 360.

I remember not so long ago MS reaching at straws claiming that the original Xbox was a more powerful system and that's why you should buy it, nevermind that you could count the good games on one hand. It's ok for MS to slip money under the table and keep exclusives from the competition, but it's not ok for the others to make press release defending their system.

To me, the Guy in the baseball field that has to pay the good players to play on his team is more reaching and pathetic than the guy who earns the loyalty of his players. And whereas Sony did that in the years of PS1, this is no longer the case. PS3 owners are being denied good games because MS is paying Square to NOT release Star Ocean on any other system. I don't think anyone is innocent of the "reaching"

edit: batteries add up, and even if you get a third party charger for those batteries, that's still an investment for your 360. I can charge my PS3 controller with the cable that came with my camera, and I can even plug the other end to my Iphone charger.

16. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well in my case I have the batteries for many reasons, the 360 is just a happy coincidence. ;)  I use them in keyboards and mice, as well as some toys. So they weren't an additional 360 cost for me.

I also don't really see the Wifi as mandatory or quote-unquote mandatory either.

However, I do see the 120gb hard drive as holyshit overpriced and something I still will not let Microsoft off the hook for. That ish isn't nickel and diming, it's gold and diamonding. ;_;

17. samtheman

samtheman Well-Known Member

Yeah guys you can also save money on games if you get a PS3 (since there aren't very many).

Seriously though Sony quit bashing other companies and make a product more people want to buy. Using the time and money it took on that article and that research they could have easily revamped their gaming machine or though of a couple new games to put out for it.

18. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    There are a bunch of good games on the PS3. the "no games" argument died last year. the only people who bring it up now are fanboys and trolls.

its not bashing other companies, it's stating FACT.

it didnt take much time and money to make that article. probably about half an hour. the only research it took was knowledge of price tags.

that entire last sentence of yours is stupid, and I pray that you don't actually believe what you said.

19. samtheman

samtheman Well-Known Member

In order to do research it probably took a couple days. Name ten games worth playing that are distinctly for PS3. If Microsoft or Nintendo released an article that went the same direction as this all the Sony fans would be bitching and you know it.

Name calling is highly inappropriate. I'm OK with you attacking my idea's but attacking me on a personal level is uncalled for.

20. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    lets see,

Little Big Planet
    Metal Gear series
    Resistance series
    Killzone(09)
    Motostorm
    ..............:confused2 
    Pretty much every thing else is on multi consoles