Sony Patents Software Based PS2 Emulation

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Joe Moore, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
  2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm hoping for both.

3. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    didn't the second gen PS3 have this already?

4. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    While it removed the hardware, I believe that PS3 still had an emotion engine chip. This patent specifically targets emulation of the emotion engine.

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    even though I own the 60 gig, I would feel better knowing that PS2 emulation would be available in some form outside of rebuying a PS2. My PS2 collection is probably the biggest I have right next to Genesis, and I still pop them in quite a lot (I played ICO today), so knowing that there is still longevity for the system is a good thing. I mean, if my PS3 fried, I would be without a PS2

6. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I have a 60 GB too. I played PS2 games for a little bit, but once I started amassing PS3 games, my PS2 games have gathered dust ever since. Hell I gave my PS2 to my wife's cousins since theirs broke.

If this is coming because of downloadable PS2 titles, I sure as hell hope they don't follow the MS model for old games.

7. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    you mean buying them for 15 bucks, when they are 3 bucks at the store? True story, I bought Crimson Skies for 2.99 at gamestop (Morrowind is 4.99) and it was 3 times as much on Live.

I know it's not possible because of hardware limitations, but it would be nice if I could play some PS2 games on my PSP, even if it was via Remote Play

8. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I'm glad this could lead to something good for PS3 owners... especially since I'll probably get one at the end of its life cycle.

Software patents are bad though :( 

9. Takao

Takao Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Emotion Engine isn't the problem. PAL PS3's have been emulating the Emotion Engine since launch, and they've been backwards compatible. It's the graphics synthesizer for the PS2 that's causing the problem, as it seems it's difficult to emulate.

But considering Sony filed this patent in late December it implies they may be working on finding a way to emulate the synthesizer, and restoring backwards compatibility without needing extra chips.

10. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    According to this the 2nd PAL 60GB and the first US 80 GB had Software Emulation of PS2 Games.

[​IMG]

11. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I didn't really follow the hardware revisions past the 60 GB one. That's the model I alwaus wanted because it had all the bells and whistles. The card readers especially.

12. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Is a good Idea. In Europe PS3 neither had an Emotion Chip nor Software Emulation. I still got a PS2 and no PS3, cos PS3 is still to expensive. And I still have a PlayStation, because some Games won't run on a PS2... =/

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I use the living shit out of the card slots, whether or not people think they are pointless. Every episode I download of Animated, every photo I take, and whenever I want to move music over from my PS3 to my PC, since the PS3 rips CDs without bullshit that Itunes does, so it's a much simpler process. I have it tied to a network, but sometimes it's easier just to stick a card in, because I have problems with my router. Also, I use the 4 USBs to charge things that don't even belong to the PS3, My MP3 player, Iphone. I took a memory stick to my friends with an episode of LOST, and realized he didn't have the card model. I guess they were just trying to save cash and most people didn't use, but I live on all those bells and whistles. We watched DRSMOOV's new Transformers on PS3 youtube the other day.

14. G1Optimal

G1Optimal Autobot

News Credits:
    Would of thought a USB Memory card reader and 4 USB Port Adapter would of solved that problem....:confused: 

if so, it is the Backwards Compatibility that matters IMO.:thumbs2: 

15. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No. I have 4 independent things (charging and/or connected to my PS3 at all times. My Iphone, MP3 player, PS3 Controller, Eye Toy, charger for my BluTooth PS3 headset, and then I swap those with my keyboard when I want to surf the internet. I do have an 8 gig USB stick, but if all those slots are taken, it's easier for me to just use my SD cards, and if I am moving something from my PSP, I would rather just take the mini out of the PSP than to plug it into a USB cable. My PS3 came with four USB slots so I didn't have to buy a 4 USB port adapter. So while I could gladly ditch 2 USB slots or card readers for backwards compatibility, I am really glad I have those card readers, especially for photos, because most/if not all cameras use SD or Mini and the best display at my apartment is my big LCD TV, so this is where I want to view my hi res photos, and it's much easier to just movie the card over than to plug in the special USB cable that some cameras have.

16. G1Optimal

G1Optimal Autobot

News Credits:
    oh, my mistake.:eek: 

note: forgot to say i am "kind" of envious that you have that Version of the PS3. :lol