SONY Limits Game Sharing

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by hellrasinbrasin, Nov 4, 2011.

1. hellrasinbrasin

hellrasinbrasin Well-Known Member

Playstation Network Cuts Down on Game Sharing Starting This Month

Later this month Sony will begin limiting the number of PS3s and PSPs that can share a game purchased through the Playstation Network, the UK and U.S. Playstation blogs said this morning.

This appears to impact all regions.

Starting with game content purchased after Nov. 18 a new policy will apply that limits the number of devices that the content can be "activated" on. Users will be able to play the game on no more than two activated PS3 systems. PSP owners will be able to play the game on no more than two activated portables.

This update will not affect game content purchased before Nov. 18, but it will impact everything purchased after even for old PSPs and the PSPgo, they said.

Activation settings can be changed through each device. Sony Computer Entertainment also plans to provide a new Playstation Network account management website where users will be able to deactivate devices through their computers.

The guide to activating and deactivating your PS3 is available on the Playstation sites.

Sauce: Playstation Network Cuts Down on Game Sharing Starting This Month

2. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That is meant concurrently activated right? If so, then that's not too bad, but it should be closer to 5 devices I think. iTunes does something similar, so this isn't too surprising of an anti-piracy tactic.

Edit:
    Sony already limits sharing to 4 at the moment, so it's just halving the numbers. Pretty pointless on Sony's behalf I think. I think this will hurt their image more than it does slow piracy any more than the current limit of 4.

3. Triple Melter

Triple Melter come on fhqwhgads

Down with digital distribution.

Yay for discs.

Where I can let whoever I damn well please borrow my game as many times as they want, because it's my item and I can do what I want with it because I paid for it.

Works for movies and music just fine.

4. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

I don't see this as an issue. No biggie for me personally. I do have to say, I am a disc man myself. I prefer a physical copy.

5. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Reasonable enough.

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have two of each activated. No big deal. If I wanted to buy my son one later, that might suck, but he'd probably play our second PS3 anyway.

7. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    I only share stuff with my friend who's a hardcore PS3 player and no one else, so it's all good so far.

8. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Really what this represents is "product and a spare" in the event you break / lose your console and have to replace it. Not really all that unexpected though the limit of two seems very mean. I'd have said three as a standard number - but I doubt this will hurt Sony as much as people seem to think.

9. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Great! :rolleyes:  That means I'm stuck with this system, only. My other one died. :mad 

EDIT:

Ahh... didn't see this on the first read through. I really hope they do this right.

10. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

ok, whatever sony, thanks.

11. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Here ye. I hate having a game downloaded. I prefer having physical proof that I own it.

12. Blackout32

Blackout32 Subdivisions

I have 2 PS3's but I can only have 1 activated at a time to go online. Which I don't know how to have my other online at the same time as my first 1.

13. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    Holy crap.

People can afford two PS3s? I can't afford one!

14. Blackout32

Blackout32 Subdivisions

I bought my first PS3 back in 07" and then saved up more cash and bought my 2nd PS3 which is the slim version but the first is the backward compat version cause it was the 60gig version for my living room so that I could have 1 in the BD and 1 in the living room.

15. deathsheadx

deathsheadx Well-Known Member

Me neither.

Conversely My brother has three.

however he's only brought one for his self and he's going to give one to me.

what happened is he got one for christmas a few years back he leaves that one by the mother of his children for when he's staying by her place, then brought a second as his main console for when he at my mums where he lives(or rather sleeps). however he brought a third for his then Girlfriend(not the mother of her children), and when they broke up she gave it back to him.

16. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

I only have one system, hence I don't care.