Sony is being sued for the removal of Linux?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Trailbreaker77, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I hope Sony files a counter-suit I hate this kind of s***!

http://ps3movies.ign.com/ps3/document/article/108/1086720/gov.uscourts.cand.226894.1.0.pdf

UPDATE:
    Taken from IGN more detail about the suit.

Last edited: May 5, 2010
  2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I know I'm a sony fan, I know this, but I really don't want these guys to win. I'm sure I'd be pissed if they removed Bluray playback or something like that, but they never sold me Linux, and they did always have the right to remove features at their disgression, regardless of how silly it sometimes is (PS2 compatibility, I see you)

3. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i think its a point of misleading ads

PS3 was sold with the option of having another OS, removing that w/o the owners consent will definatly piss off someone

ok take the feature off the newer ps3's, but hitting the people who put linux on it with an update without warning is not nice

4. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    Heh. Stick it to the man, baby.

As to the debate at hand, I don't care about Linux, but it was a dick move by Sony, and I like seeing dick moves get dragged through the mud. :) 

5. tentagil

tentagil Well-Known Member

Its not without consent. You have the option of not installing the update. Of course then you lose access to online features, but that's your choice. They can't tell you what to do with the hardware you bought, but if you actually read over the EULA and such that came with the system and with every update they can refuse you the right to their services any time they like. Especially since you don't pay for the online services.

6. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    You loose access to online features...

and any games that require a future edition of the firmware. That's a loss that's tough to swallow.

7. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    I have honestly been waiting for a Lawsuit over that update ! not sure if Sony will lose or not but ill be interested to see how it goes.

8. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Getting rid of a thing that was recently discovered to have a security hole that could open the piracy floodgates on the system is not a "dick move".

wanna blame someone, blame the hackers that forced sony's hand.

9. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    Gotta agree.

However, I don't wanna see this thread go on and on, like the last one. We all know how that turned out.

10. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah and definitely not turning this into a madness General Discussion debacle, but didn't MS remove people's live for playing hacked Xboxes? People literally had to buy a new Xbox to get Live again. They have to take these steps, and if you were a software developers, and someone approached you with a concern with security, you'd make the same move.

Agreed, back to the E3 thread that has Smasher posting the same response 4 times, lol

11. cheetorBWORG

cheetorBWORG Cheetor Fan

News Credits:
    Well... How's about Sony's programming start using a better code to work with...?

Meh, I actually am pretty low knowledged on this...

But the PSP is a lost cause. Hackers have hit that too hard.

PS3 only needs time before it can go.

Just seems that the PlayStation platform is really susceptible to getting majorly hacked.

12. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Wait, wait...What? The PSP, yes, is a lost cause for Sony. But the PS3 is the only home console you can't play any pirated games on. Over 5 years in and one single person found a small hole that has since been patched (with extreme prejudice).

The Wii is a pirate gamers dream and if you can stand having an offline console, the 360 is pretty easy to hack as well.

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Everyone knows that the Dreamcast has the longest standing record of no-hacking. To this day, only a heavenly being has been known to hack the white angel of gaming.

14. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    I have never once seen any advertisement promoting the fact you could put Linux on the PS3. And when you get down to it, the actual customer effect is negligible.

A VAST MAJORITY of the systems being sold are being sold to average consumers. People who watch movies and play games. The number of people who went through the effort to install and use Linux on the PS3 is in the thousands, maybe.
    With an install base greater than 30 million worldwide? A few thousand pissed off nerds aren't going to hurt their sales.

I really can't side with the plaintiff, Sony doesn't hide its EULA, it's all on the internet, on the official site no less. The consumer agreed to the terms when the got the system (which is common in the ENTIRE INDUSTRY at this point).

15. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    It was fairly easy to play pirated games on the Dreamcast. I've played pirated games on the Dreamcast back when it came out.

16. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    You know those class action lawsuits where the plaintiffs are awarded millions by the court and then the major corporation has to pay like $3 to all the thousands of people in the suit who used the toothbrush, carpet cleaner, or whatever it is?
    Well, I think the eight people who actually installed Linux on the PS3 are going to make millions.

Actually, I think it is a "dick move" by Sony.
    I can see them removing it from future releases, but taking it away from people who used that option is squarely within 'dick move' territory.

With that being said, I don't think that this "dick move" is worthy of a lawsuit.
    I'm pretty sure that Sony has language in the EULA covering this kind of contingency.
    The lawsuit is more of a dick move in my opinion, I mean, this to me is like suing Nintendo because you bought a Super Scope back in the day and Nintendo didn't make any more games for it.

17. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Heheh, yeah, I was being Fuzzy. I have like 10 copied Dreamcast games and a very good MAME emulator on mine.

I always called the DC "The People's Console" because after Sega abandoned it, it became the console everyone could make games for.

18. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    You know, after all these years, I still have no idea what the Hell LINUX even is and I've never cared enough to investigate further. It was always just one of those extra bells & whistles I had ignored on my PS3 (yes, I know it's been around longer than the PS3 and it's an OS, outside of that, don't care).

My greatest concern is my 60gig croaking and loosing my BC and that's easily remedied with a used PS2 and a bottle of Wild Turkey.

19. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    But if they find that Linux was contributing to potential pirating, wouldn't it be just as dick a move as MS removing people's Live for playing on a Hacked system? I know a guy who this happened to and he didn't have a hacked system. When he contacted MS, they eventually squared it out, but he basically lost paid live usage because of what could have potentially been a hacked system.

You're right on the 8 people making Millions, which is what's ridiculous. Every single person I know who owns a PS3, doesn't know or care about Linux. It's like crying because the water hose that you never water the lawn with, but came with the house, was taken away by the previous owners. Sure, you have a right to be upset because it came with the house, but when you sit down and think about it, your lawn is dead, because you never watered it.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  20. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Ah, sorry. Internet and humor are a lethal combination sometimes. :)