Sony has done it again! And again!

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by War Bearer, Dec 6, 2006.

1. War Bearer

War Bearer Banned

Sony has recently annnounced that they put the same pointing device on the Wiimote for their half-assed PS3 controller and manage to patent in advance! I think Sony is really scared of Nintendo because they have doing alot of last additions on the PS3 even after it was released!!!!

I'm just surprise that Sony has been getting away with these!

Edit: http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=2&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1=%22Sony+Computer%22.AS.&s2=2006&OS=AN/%22Sony+Computer%22+AND+2006&RS=AN/%22Sony+Computer%22+AND+2006

2. honestgabe

honestgabe I

what? The Sixaxis? Different tech than the Wiimote

3. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    got a link?

EDIT: Sixaxis is what he's talking about? Yeah, old news and totally different.

4. War Bearer

War Bearer Banned

5. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Yeah, it's definitely a pointing device made for Sony, but where does it say it's going into the PS3?

6. PMPrime

PMPrime Made of sterner stuff...

They're coming out with a pointer device as well?
    Wow...they obviously think Nintendo is a threat to them if this is true.

7. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]

:thumb 

8. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    :lol :lol :lol  Nice one, Onesock! :thumb 

9. j3

j3 Kiefer is my Big Boss TFW2005 Supporter

The patent is dated May 27, 2005. The Wii remote wasn't even announced until September of 05. Nintendo already had it in the works of course, but it's difficult to accurately say "OMG SONY IS RIPPING OFF NINTENDO!"... well, without sounding like an idiot fanboy that is.

10. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

You honestly don't think that Sony has people working on the inside of Nintendo and numerous other developers? :p 

11. j3

j3 Kiefer is my Big Boss TFW2005 Supporter

See, there's that "Sony is completely evil and going around stealing everything and eating babies" reasoning again. You have no proof of anything, the facts are to the contrary, and yet...

12. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Nintendo had allegedly been working on the Wii remote as a GameCube peripheral. That would suggest that the concept and workings of the controller had been around even before "Revolution" was revealed at the 2005 E3. Combine this with Sony's "me too" track record (SIXAXIS, rumble, analog stick anybody?), and its perfectly reasonable to believe that the patent is a flat out copy of Nintendo's concept and application to such a controller for videogames.

Conspiracy like this are impossible for the average Joe to gather evidence and proof for, but there is no doubt that numerous companies have stolen ideas from employees on the inside of another company.

Interesting thing though, is that while it mimics what the Wii remote does, it almost seems that if they stole it, they just took Nintendo's language about the system and directly copied that. In Sony's system, it appears that the "sensor bar" actually does what it says its going to do and actually senses the remote. Those familiar with the Wii controller will notice that it is the Wii controller that senses the sensor bar. Wii's setup is a little counterintuitive as to what the names given to the products suggest.

13. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Didn't sony have a boomerang controller first?

They replaced it AFTER nintendo showed thier remote.

Made sony look like it changed it's controller to rip off nintendo.

14. b_ack51

b_ack51 I'm on the interweb!

Stole all the third party developers? Is Sony holding them hostage? No. Seriously nintendo fanboy heaven around here. I thought it was bad when I worked in a video game store but all I hear is whining. It appears their patent was out for quite some time and before nintendos. Just cause they are working on it at a certain time doesn't mean shit without a patent. If you have an idea, patent it. That simple.

15. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Or that they were just listening to all the people that were saying the boomerang controller was ridiculous?

The motion detection function is definitely to combat Nintendo, but I don't see how the aesthetic change towards a more PS2 like controller has anything to do with that. It could've still ended up a boomerang controller with sixaxis.

16. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

They replaced it because of negative response. They were going to use a variation of the old controller until they were no longer allowed to use the rumble effect. At that point, yes they did try and do something similar with that crappy six-axis.

Exactly. The 3rd parties left due to Nintendo sticking with carts and the way Nintendo treated them back in the NES/SNES days.

You get used to it. Then again, I find fanatics entertaining.

17. JinraiPrime

JinraiPrime 1000+ Post Club Member

FANBOY WAR WHOOOOOO XBOX 360 @r3 73h |337357... get over it, its a competitive market, its ruthless, and sony will do what it can to get a leg up on the competition.... I suppose both sony and xbox stole the concept of WIRELESS from the world of linksys.....absurd, and even if it wasnt absurd when your in a cutthroat industry like electronics and gaming in general expect dirty pool.

18. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I personally like Nintendo AND Sony consoles. Yes, it's possible!

Also: I have nothing against XBox other than that it tends to have less exclusives I'm interested in than the other two.

19. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey, I love my PS2. But anything Sony can steal, Nintendo STILL does it better.

20. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    All three console manufacturers watch what patents the others are filing all the time. Sony knew about the wii remote long before we did.

Also, the patent was filed a week after E3, where nintendo held private meetings with different companies to show off the early designs for the Wii, including the remote.