Sony Exec denies Wii influenced PS3 controller, says PCs unnecessary

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Xcandescent, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

In other news, doctors are frantically working on a procedure to remove large objects from the large intestine and rectum. This was brought about by a rash of recent incidents where high-level Sony executives were found lying on the floor, with their heads up their asses.

http://www.cnet.com.au/games/ps3/0,39035763,40063411,00.htm?feed=rss

UPDATE: MS executives involved with the Xbox are apparently victims as well.

http://games.kikizo.com/news/200605/155_p2.asp

-XCN-

2. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

[​IMG]

Sony is so full of bullshit... Sony has coppied Nintendo down to the word "PlayStation" (back when it was suposted to be an SNES addon, but Nintendo droped them). Sony is looking more and more pathetic and desperate every day. That said, I hope alot of 3rd party games go multiplatform (FF, MGS, stuff along those lines). Its looking just too risky to buy a PS3. Sony is banking the entire company's future on the PS3 and bluray, and Im willing to bet right now that bluray is going to be a big flop even with the PS3.

3. Liokaiser_bf

Liokaiser_bf Kaiju-bot

Hmm dealing with Sony and the controller deal, I think stated it, they have their heads up their asses indeed. I saw another clip on it and it still looks pathetic even in the middle of some Warhawk gameplay.

Microsoft, eeh could really just care less what they say. Still sticking to old Dreamcast Sequels only if I get a first box, and just 2 games still for the 360 and that's still not enough to get me really really wanting the thing.

4. Streck

Streck <B><FONT COLOR="#FF0000">QED</B></FONT> Veteran

I'm leaving this thread open because there is some meat to it, but in the future, can we please not frame topics in a manner so obviously designed to incite flames against a particular company or console?

We'd like to keep the level of discussion above "Sony is retarded."

5. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

I would just really like to know what the heck is going on with Sony. I mean, all they had to do was release a console with graphics capabilities and processing power that is a little better than the 360, sell it at a similar price point, and watch the console succeed just as well as the PS2. Instead, they add some motion sensing junk to the controller, incorporate blu ray (thus driving cost way up), and essentially ensure that their system will be more expensive than many people are willing to pay. While I think the system will still sell out around the holidays, at the price point it is at I don't think it will end up selling anywhere near as well as the PS2.

Oh, and there's no way in hell it's going to render the PC useless, since Linux is not exactly the OS of choice for your average PC user (no offense against Linux or its users, it is a fine OS...just not as ubiquitous as say, Windows or whatever the Mac OS is now).

6. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    If these jokers want to replace the PC, they'd better drop the price considerably.
    Seriously; does anyone else remember when a games console actually WAS a games console? It seems to me that Sony & MS are more intent on making all singing, all dancing multimedia machines than on actually producing anything worth the money. Jack of all trades, and all that.

7. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    better article:
    http://revolution.ign.com/articles/710/710760p1.html

TEE HEE.
    Playstation did 3D first? so I take it the SNES, Saturn, 32X, and even PCs didnt exist prior to the PS.

8. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    "two companies to work on (nearly) identical devices."

I must say, I got a chuckle out of that.

9. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

It's the jack of all trades mentality that's going to kick Sony square in the nuts. Why try to do everything at a mediocre level, when you can be the best at one thing?

10. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    From that same article: http://revolution.ign.com/articles/710/710760p1.html

NOT a last minute decision, eh? Then how do you explain the original design for it, the "boomerang" controller? I would have gone with that instead of the "Hey let's make a PS2 controller wireless and call it the PS3 controller" controller.

I declare bullshit on that. Look at the Gamecube controller. Kinda looks like a PS2-esque controller, but it's made by Nintendo. The joystick and the D-pad are switched, but that's good for some gamers. It also has a different set for the right-thumb buttons. The A, B, X, and Y buttons are more distorted, sure, but it's UNIQUE. I actually think it's better than the usual four small circles with shapes on them. The Gamecube controller only has an L-button, an R-button, and a Z-trigger (button) for the shoulder buttons. That's fine. Sony, on the other hand, has four shoulder buttons in all. Sometimes it's a little HARD for people to know which one is the L1/L2 button and which one is the R1/R2 button. Now look at the Xbox 360 controller. It's different because it has a big X in the middle, so people can go to the home system at ANY time. And what do you guys have? Just the same old controller since the PS1. Nintendo got smart. They used a remote as the Wii's controller. GENIUS. But you, Sony, you guys will just be bitch-slapped by Nintendo when the Wii comes out.

Pfft. Just, freaking, pfft. If that's so, then maybe I should just go ahead and throw out both my laptop and my gaming computer. If the PS3 is gonna be a computer, then it better be a good gaming system also. I doubt it, though. I 100% REALLY doubt its success.

11. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

:lol 

This guy's hilarious.

12. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

say what...the SNES had the shoulder buttons and the 4 button....all the PS did was add 2x extra shoulder buttons. lol

which i hardly ever use the L2 button.

motion-sensing controller....if they've been working on it for a LONG TIME...where's a demo...and why only now bring it out. lol

13. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    What makes their lie so blatant was that statement from the Warhawk team about them only having a few weeks to impliment the tilt feature.

And also Sony's other statements are pretty retarded too. Particularly when it comes to 3D gaming. Last time I checked, the SNES was the first console to have 3d games. Then you got the PC which has been doing it for awhile.

14. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    First, he said 'games console'. That leaves out the PC. Second, he said 'real time 3D'. I'm no expert, but my guess is that leaves out the 16-bit guys. I'm not defending Sony one way or the other as they've completely turned me off. But if we're gonna bash 'em, let's at least get the facts straight.

15. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Almost exactly two weeks.

I guess you never heard of StarFox. Or Stunt Race FX. Or Vortex. Or Doom. That's just what the SNES did in terms of polygon-based real time 3-D. I have a suspicion one or two of the polygon-based Genesis games might have made it before the PS1 launch too, but I haven't checked.

Also, 3DO beat the PS1 to doing 3D. This guy doesn't have a clue what he's talking about, and he's hoping you don't either.

16. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No need to get nasty. Of course I've heard of them. But as I said before, if you were reading, I'm no expert. But I'd assume the term 'real-time' is the kicker.

17. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I didn't mean it to come off nasty, I'm just pointing out that you overlooked something.

"Real time" means that the computer is handling the polygons live, rather than using pre-rendered 3-D images. Donkey Kong Country's graphics are not real time. The ships and environments in StarFox most definitely are, so the Sony guy still either knows nothing or is lying through his teeth. Both seem equally plausible.

18. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

:lol  :lol  :lol 

Your PS3 can't do most of the things a true PC could do. Let me know when you're running things like photoshop and such.

19. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm actually looking forward to writing reports for Uni and other stuff on my PS3.
    AutoCAD will be a breeze on it.

Oh and I can just see it now. Thread on the boards with 'I'm posting from my PS3' in place of the 'I'm posting from my PSP'

20. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    *contemplates trying to run Lightwave on a PS3 and curls up laughing*