Sonicron - Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tampalicious, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Tampalicious

Tampalicious Tribe of Roadimus

Whats up brothers, I'm on the fence with this Sonicron figure. I didnt like it at all when the first pics were shown, but after seeing it on a youtube review, I'm a little more into it, plus the price drop.
    I thought you all could give me your personal thoughts if you have purchased the item.
    I'm the type of collector that will buy something, open it, and set it on the shelf. I havent even moved my not-Insecticons arms or legs yet, just slid the weapons into place. That said, I'd like to know, is this the type of toy that one should be wary of when transforming (I assume I will have to make him into a Bot)? And how about those knees? Will he just stand where I place him, or are those knees gonna buckle?
    Also, what about that door staying closed if a cassette is placed in? Is it a universal problem that it wont shut?
    What do you think? Is it worth 44 bucks? I was all set to buy Not-Reflector then I saw they only come up to classic Roddy's knees....Yikes, no thanks! If only they came up to his waist....

2. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard @DiabraveSid

News Credits:
    I really like the piece, if you're looking for the ultimate G1 Soundwave, I'd say buy the Music label and a set of repro labels, or if holding cassettes is a must wait for the third party MP release.
    Personally, I am a big geek for the old school Microman figures, so I like weird mass-shifting transformers, guns, bionculars, microscopes etc... For me, a dictophone,mini-cassette player was an absolute must-buy, and it is in this alt-mode that the figure is at it's best.
    I place him opposite Device Label Blaster, as they size up well, transform into modern devices and can hold original cassettes.

As a figure I love him, his waist / hips feels a bit loose, but he displays really well and sturdy even weaponed-up.

I have transformed him several times, no problems whatsoever, not even a hint of a potential weakness. I was very impressed, he is up there with my FP's and Hercules third party toys, and I even rate him above the FP Insecticons. $44 is a worthwhile purchase, I almost dropped $70 on him at Botcon but being the last in the queue I would have had to settle for a mashed up box, so I waited.

Also, he is packaged in bot-mode and I have never had a problem with him holding cassettes with door closed in both modes, and I have tinkered with mine lots. If this is happening, I would say they have not clicked the alt-mode into place properly and the button is partially pressed. Once transformed and locked into place, that is one sturdy alt-mode.

Not-Reflector...all I can say is if you can get over the size, go for them. They have grown on me more so than any other TF is I have initially regretted.

3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Feedback forum?

4. sixpointsinspace

sixpointsinspace Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Only toy i have ever full on sent back to BBTS. It just sucked so hard for me in quality and implementation that I couldn't stomach owning it for what I paid for it. Maybe they will improve the quality with future releases but the one I got (and the feedback from most others) was that it was a floppy cheap piece of crap.

5. jay724

jay724 Well-Known Member

I didn't like him at first but he grew on me. Nice size compared to Music Label Soundwave. And the details on this guy is pretty amazing and you can fit G1 cassettes in him unlike Music Label Soundwave. His legs are kinda eh, and I learned to live with the hump on his back.

Plus I got him for $50.00 Shipped so that made the decision easier too. If you want him hit up TFW member "daelite", he'll hook you up.

6. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Personally, nay. His proportions are ass.

PE Soundwave is going to be my definitive classics Soundwave when it comes out.

7. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko Some Internet Guy

If you have the money to spend. Sure? Why not? However, let it be known that there will be little things you have to do. "Screwing in the legs" Do ho ho. But, seriously just little matience things, and it is alright. Just the proportions are a bit awkward. However... submarine mode... that thing is awesome!

8. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

I was going to get Sonicron, but then I saw that one of the other 3rd party groups was making a Masterpiece Soundwave, so I decided to wait for that to come out and get that instead.

9. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    Nay. Robot mode looks like a fragile pos. Alt mode is cool though.

10. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    Nay. Music Label is all the Classics Soundwave I need.

11. Tampalicious

Tampalicious Tribe of Roadimus

Interesting, the responses are about even ....
    I've been watching all the youtube videos and I feel like I might bite. I did notice a couple guys saying you have to tighten the screws, thats not a big deal as long as it works.
    I like how the cassetes can fit, I'd probably want a ratbat junker to throw in there. I'm happy with my WFC but his small chest kinda ruins it, Ravage cant fit etc, I always thought that was the coolest gimmick.
    I dont really like the look of that Device Label one, its also too small lookin. My Starsrceam is the Cybertron version, so he just towers over WFC SW.
    That upcoming one looks good too, but it looks MP scale? I dont collect those yet unfortunately. Or was that a scaled down Starscream?
    My Backfiery should be here around 7 so I'll probably decide after that. Right now I'm leanin towards the purchase, I'm just diggin the guns and rockets and his head etc. The feet are the goofiest part....no, that 'submarine mode' is lol, but I cant even take that seriously.
    I guess he's starting to grow on me, I just dont want it to fall apart in my hands or something.
    I was also curious, is this something the BBTS guys put together? Not that it matters, just curious

12. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    I like him. let this picture help you decide:

[​IMG]

13. 2ndSndWve

2ndSndWve Hen... Shin!

News Credits:
    nay

14. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Crossdresser Toy Collector

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Very big nay. Sonicron shows just how stupid and pointless it is to make him compatible with the G1 cassettes. He's supposed to be a micro-cassette player/recorder, not a full sized one. The proportion problems are in a large part caused by the cassette compatibility. I feel if he were made to "use" micro cassettes he would've had better proportions than it currently has.

I'm waiting on the 3rd Party MP one myself.

15. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What makes it even worse is that they announced cassettes BTS was going to make themselves. If there were going to make their own cassettes anyway, what's the damn point of ruining the proportions with G1 cassettes?

16. Quixote_Prime

Quixote_Prime is missed.

News Credits:
    Scale is a big question here as well.

I like SW as a deluxe and wfc SW works for me. Sonicron looks to be too big and I don't really see the need for SW to be alt mode music player.

17. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    My thoughts exactly!

18. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Crossdresser Toy Collector

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Really? That boggles my mind as well. Sonicron just looks like crap with the big cassette compatibilty.

19. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Do you know something we don't? We haven't seen PE's Soundwave yet.

If you have, please share?:) 

20. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I'd like to have one, but I'm pretty happy with my Cybertron Soundwave vs. Universe 2.0 Blaster :)