Sonic X- Rouge

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by domientius, Dec 17, 2007.

1. domientius

domientius Well-Known Member

Yesterday I spotted a fresh stock of Toy Island's Sonic X toys at a KB. $9 each, 5 regular figures, amidst the remaining Metal Force stuff.

Sonic and Shadow are the older TI molds, their limbs are too thick and they don't look good. Christopher and Cream & Cheese are anime characters so I passed on them.

Rouge is decent though, not too badly proportioned in sculpt compared to the others and reasonably matches the artwork on the card insert. They had 2, I got the one with the best paint job they had. Basic joints. I've not opened it, I'm hoping to get the others I'm looking for first(the Megabot series).

I've seen Rouge listed for $30 on some sites. I was half tempted to snag up all the Shadows and sell them online for the $50 apiece they can go for.

2. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Scalping the Sonic figures eh? Heh, just kidding.

I have never seen the Sonic X figures, any pics? Also, what other characters are there...Cream perhaps?

3. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Are the Sonic figures really popular? They were never sold in my country at retail level.

4. domientius

The Toy Island stuff seems mostly a TRU thing, with KB now getting the leftovers. The fact they're now stocking some of the older stuff though lends some hope I'll find the Megabot BAF series again.

Try here for some Toy Island pics. The first wave stuf was rather horrible, though they improved later on.

5. nintendofreakgc

nintendofreakgc Bumblebee fan

Not to be nitpicky (oh, who am I kidding?), but Cream and Cheese are in many of the recent Sonic games as well as Sonic X. That said, they were apparently originally made for Sonic X, so that could have been what you meant.

Getting back on topic, I have liked the look of the Rouge toy since I first saw pictures of it, but I find it very difficult to accurately judge toys without seeing them in the flesh (so to speak). It's thus difficult for me to be sure that I'd like it. Still, since I have this thing against ordering online (long story short, if I started, I wouldn't be able to stop) and I've never seen the Rouge figure in regular stores, I suppose it's a moot point.

6. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    No they weren't, they were made for Sonic Advance 2.

7. domientius

I've not played SA2 yet, actually. I don't believe they were in Shadow, though.

Going by the listed character heights from official sources too, Sonic, Shadow, Cream and Rouge would be roughly to scale with 10" human adult action figures, meaning the Eggman TI produced is way too small. He'd have to be double the height of the rest of the figures.

*notes that a Doom Cyberdemon figure in scale with these toys would be Fort Max sized.

8. nintendofreakgc

nintendofreakgc Bumblebee fan

Sorry if I'm derailing this thread, but I am a bit of a pedant. Cream and Cheese first appeared in Sonic Advance 2, but this does not mean that they were originally designed for Sonic Advance 2. Allow me to explain:

Sonic Advance 2 was released on December 19, 2002. Now, Sonic X first aired in 2003. Now, in practice, it takes a fair while to make a 52-episode anime (the length of the series' original run), so they would have needed to have the designs for Cream a good deal before that. Also note that Cream does not appear in the trailer for Sonic Advance 2 featured in Sonic Mega Collection (tiny possibility I'm wrong on that; I can't be bothered checking it out), which is, to the best of my kowledge, the first trailer that existed for the game. Also note that the original Sonic Advance didn't add any new playable characters, unlike more mainstream Sonic titles, which makes it highly probable that no new playable characters were originally planned for Sonic Advance 2. Finally, bear in mind just how ridiculously overpowered Cream and Cheese are in Sonic Advance 2 (gameplay-wise, not plot-wise). This makes it highly probable that Cream and Cheese were added to Sonic Advance 2 fairly late in the piece, and there was thus insufficient time to make them balanced.

Finally, for the final blow (okay, now I'm getting too serious), the following link says that Cream was originally designed for Sonic X:

http://concept-mobius.technoguild.com/info/realcharacterbios/cream.htm (right near the bottom)

Yes, I'm aware that this is a fansite, but I've found it (as a fairly big Sonic fan, in spite of what my username may imply) to be accurate in the past. I believe Cream does have an official profile on Sonic Channel (basically, the official Sega of Japan website that does, amongst other things, profiles on Sonic characters - since I can't read Japanese, it's effectively useless to me), but I doubt that anything on there would contradict the information from Concept Mobius, since the page uses the Cream artwork from Sonic Channel.

In short, Cream was originally designed for Sonic X. Sonic Advance 2 just happened to be released before Sonic X premiered.

Actually, Cream and Cheese appear in one level in Shadow the Hedgehog. I forget the name of the stage, but it's the haunted castle stage that every platformer seems to feel a need to have. Basically, Amy asks you to rescue Cream, who then asks you to rescue Cheese. Shadow, being the tool that he is in this game, obliges (well, at least if you want to fully complete the game.

In an attempt to bring this topic back to what it's supposed to be about, I agree with domientius on the subject of the Eggman figure - it is way too short. That's what happens when a company is unwilling to do multiple price points for their figures.

9. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    Okay, I believe you. I certainly wouldn't call myself an expert.