Sonic the Hedgehog & The Secret Rings

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by flamepanther, Feb 2, 2007.

1. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Formerly "Sonic Wildfire". The game appears to be an "on rails" platformer, with Sonic pretty much always running in the general direction he's supposed to, and the player controlling how he moves along that course. It looks VERY fast. It also appears to be all Sonic, with the exception of the multi-player party modes. This means no more playing through boring non-Sonic levels and no more camera issues!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diks1eVn8kc

What I love about this trailer is that it is almost ALL gameplay.

2. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

yeah, this reminds me of Sonic Rush....just zooming through the stage...

and hopefully this game is good. Sonic for the 360 had really bad reviews.

this might be my next Wii game.

3. flamepanther

Yeah, I'll wait for reviews first, but it still looks more exciting than any other 3D Sonic game.

4. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    A Sonic game with Sonic as the focus = Good
    Cream getting a cameo in multiplayer instead of Rouge = Bad

It looks a lot faster paced than most Sonic games recently, of course that could just be the footage selection from the trailer... It looks like Sonic's first good game in the new generation will be for Wii.

5. flamepanther

The footage selection might make it look faster-paced than it is, but it's still going to be faster-paced than the other 3D Sonic games. Sonic is always running, except in specific circumstances, and none of the slower characters are there in the main game.

Here's the Japanese Trailer for the game, showing a little bit how the controller is used.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diks1eVn8kc

A run-through of the first level... looks much more finished than the E3 '06 demo I remember seeing:
    Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diks1eVn8kc
    Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekbp-clcFAA&mode=related&search=
    Part 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Chdqq3vEKY&mode=related&search=
    Part 4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psPr4j7NIkU&mode=related&search=
    Part 5 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sLufGRkJbg&mode=related&search=

6. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Oh hell yes. That looks great. I will be getting that for sure.

7. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

This is looking quite promising.

8. CheetahDC

CheetahDC Well-Known Member

A GOOD Sonic console game after how long? Here's hopin.

9. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

I love Sonic, I'd buy this.

10. flamepanther

I actually liked SA 1&2 and Sonic Heroes, but I have to admit that they were riddled with problems. SA2 and Heroes especially. Secret Rings looks like it eliminates two of those problems. Now if the game isn't buggy like the other 3D games, I'm set.

I don't know if it's true, but I've heard that Yuji Naka worked some on this game before he left Sega. If he did, then this is the last true Sonic Team game.

11. ZeroMayhem

ZeroMayhem Henshin a Go-Go Baby!

Nice, if it plays half as well as it looks then I'm all over this one.

12. peeman

peeman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeh looks good theres meant to be loads of mini games in the party mode to and the story involves you collecting rings which gives you powers like fire and wind etc

i think i might pick this up if its better than the 360 version

13. flamepanther

From what I've heard about Sonic on the 360 (isn't that one also supposed to be on PS3?), this would almost have to be better by default. Damn shame too, because I'd like to see a good Sonic game on the 360.

14. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I'm dubious of any new Sonic game after the toss that SEGA have been putting him in for the last few years, but i'll give it a go if its something different.

Hopefully it will just stick to the hedgehig himself, I have touble remembering most of the extended cast thesedays because they are all so generic and unintereting.

It'll be the best game evar if it turns you into Earth, Wind and Fire

15. flamepanther

Then he could let this groove get him to move. It's written in the stone.

16. Samana Rombuca

Samana Rombuca Well-Known Member

I'm a bit cautious after the mess that was Sonic 360/PS3. I've never disliked a 3D Sonic game before, and I've played them all, but lordy, what they did to it is terrible. I want to believe Secret Rings will be good, but I'm not jumping blindly into the waters again after that.

17. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

Definately on my considered list.... Off to download Sonic the Hedghog from the VC to prepare.

18. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    DAMN!

If it plays as well as Sonic Rush did on the DS, with LIMITED 3D capabilites and sticks to an on-rails type approach then it will rock. The graphics look great, and I'm sure the controls aren't going to be too hard.

From what I've heard, you only use the Wiimote for control, and you lean it to move Sonic side to side and front to back. The 1 and 2 buttons will be used for dashing (spin attack) and for jumping. The controls are going to be (hopefully) easy to pickup and play.

19. Pidgeot018

Pidgeot018 Pokécon

I think I may be most intrigued by the violin minigame.

20. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    They have a pretty detailed review at IGN.

It sounds pretty good, but I don't know.
    The 360 Sonic game has left a really bad taste in my mouth.

It is by far the worst game I have ever played.
    I read that Sega was going back to the basics for this Sonic game.
    That’s why it’s called “Sonic the Hedgehog” and not “Sonic Super Adventure” or something.

Apparently, going “back to the basics” means running around in a city with graphics that repeat endlessly talking to shoemakers and finding lost dogs and such. This is made more fun by the fact that every street looks the same and there are no waypoints to be set on the map. The city does come with a radar screen, however most of the time turning Sonic left actually turns you to the right on the map. You get to do this for about 10-20 minutes between levels.

Did I mention the incredibly long load screens, too? It’s the best. I wish more games would incorporate really long load times for no apparent reason.

For instance: you talk to some kid who tells you to race his “gang” (I didn’t learn any Hedgehog gang signs) and you pres ‘yes’ to accept the mission. Then the 360 says ‘loading’ for nearly a minute. Then you see the graphic of Sonic and the exact same kid in the exact same place you were talking to him and he says “C’mon Sonic” then the screen says ‘loading’ again for about another minute. Then you get to run around the nondescript city trying to do whatever the inane mission called for. Should you beat it, the game loads for about a minute, then you see Sonic and whatever character gave you the mission (the kid, or other such exciting guys as the shoemaker, or a schoolteacher) and he or she says “Good job!” and then it loads for another minute and then you get to wander around the city some more.

Hopefully your mission opened up the level, but actually, about half of them appear to be useless.

Once you actually get to a “level” the game tries to be fun. The graphics are actually pretty good, but your worst enemy is not Dr.Egmman (remember when he was called ‘Robotnik’). Your worst enemy is the camera. It is never in the right spot and most of your opponents are off the screen. The only way to beat them is to point Sonic in their general direction, then zip into them with his homing attack and hope you didn’t just jump off a cliff.

You can’t see about 75% of what you have to attack. Even if the opponent is on screen when you slam into it, Sonic bounces so high into the air that you can’t see what you did.

Seriously, during the entire boss fight with Silver, I only saw Silver for about 3 seconds.

I also like when the game shoots you through a series of springboards, but you sometimes glitch off one and fall to your doom. **SIGH**

Do I sound bitter? I am.
    I was there on Sonic 2sday.
    I have every Sonic game ever made and they just keep getting worse.
    Sonic games used to be the bestest.

At least I can play Sonic Rush on my kid's DS.
    Now that game is greatness.