Sonic the Hedgehog Poll Part IV

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by UltraMagnus3786, Feb 4, 2010.

?

What's your favorite "2nd Generation 3D" Sonic game?

Poll closed Feb 11, 2010.
  1. Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Sonic and the Secret Rings

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Sonic Unleashed (PS3/Xbox360)

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. Sonic Unleashed (PS2/Wii)

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  5. Sonic and the Black Knight

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

With Project Needlemouse on the horizon, I'd like to figure out what everyone's favorite Sonic game is. There's vast disagreement over how a sonic game should be handled, and disagreement over what the core gameplay is. Some emphasize pure running like the Sonic of the Genesis days. However upon actually playing these games, you'll find there's significant platforming and it's less about speed. Some emphasize a slower adventure that focuses on exploring. Sonic adventure comes to mind here. Others prefer to have a robust character selection with altering modes of play, a la Sonic Heroes.

In a series of polls, I'll pit games from a certain "Generation" against each other, and then the winners will duke it out from there. I will also state my own position on these games, having played most of them. For the purposes of the poll, "specialty" games like Sonic Spinball or Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine will be excluded. Each poll will close in about a week.

So without further ado, please vote for your favorite "2nd Generation 3D" Sonic game and sound off your reasons below.

Part I of the poll: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/video-games-technology/290244-sonic-hedgehog-poll-part-i.html
    Part II: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/video-games-technology/290352-sonic-hedgehog-poll-part-ii.html
    Part III: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/video-games-technology/290355-sonic-hedgehog-poll-part-iii.html

2. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

Unfortunately, none of these games lived up to the Sonic standard, nor did any of them deserve the hype leading up to the their individual release dates.

Sonic 2006 was an attempt at rebooting the franchise. Its gameplay was similar to Sonic Adventure, but a lot of the mechanics were broken especially when it came to Sonic (who moved like a tank) and load times. I appreciate what the makers were trying to do, but the execution was just way off.

Secret Rings was a good attempt to change things up. I largely enjoyed the main gameplay, although some of the mechanics were off here too when it came to jumping and stopping. Also, the mini missions bogged the game down. The story sucked, but the boss fights against Erajin were awesome.

A lot of people were divided on Unleashed. Everyone pretty much agreed that the werehog sections were awful and shouldn't have been included in a Sonic game. The disagreement comes over the day stages-- some thought it was a good way to bring Sonic into 3d, others felt the game played itself as there was no exploration beyond how your reflexes opened up alternate paths. I fell into the latter category. While the stages were fun and fast compared to the werehog stages, I felt it was a little mindless (fyi I've only played through on wii, haven't started the 360 version yet). That said, people say the day stages come closest to achieving the feel of Sonic's Genesis days.

Black Knight is the biggest abomination thus far in this generation IMO. The only good things about it were the twist in the story, as well as the graphics. The mechanics were waaayyyyy off when it came to the waggly sword swinging. Ugh.

3. Ratchet2007

Ratchet2007 Neither Here Nor There

News Credits:
    While I loved Unleashed I have to go with Black Knight. I love the swordplay and how the game's evolved since Secret Rings. And the fact you can play as different characters too is a bonus. The music is also fantastic in the game.