Sonic the Hedgehog Poll Part III

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by UltraMagnus3786, Feb 4, 2010.

?

What's your favorite "1st (and a half) Generation" Sonic game?

Poll closed Feb 11, 2010.
  1. Sonic Adventure

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. Sonic Adventure 2

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  3. Shadow the Hedgehog

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Sonic Heroes

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

With Project Needlemouse on the horizon, I'd like to figure out what everyone's favorite Sonic game is. There's vast disagreement over how a sonic game should be handled, and disagreement over what the core gameplay is. Some emphasize pure running like the Sonic of the Genesis days. However upon actually playing these games, you'll find there's significant platforming and it's less about speed. Some emphasize a slower adventure that focuses on exploring. Sonic adventure comes to mind here. Others prefer to have a robust character selection with altering modes of play, a la Sonic Heroes.

In a series of polls, I'll pit games from a certain "Generation" against each other, and then the winners will duke it out from there. I will also state my own position on these games, having played most of them. For the purposes of the poll, "specialty" games like Sonic Spinball or Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine will be excluded. Each poll will close in about a week.

So without further ado, please vote for your favorite "1st (and a half) Generation 3D" Sonic game and sound off your reasons below.

Part I of the poll: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/video-games-technology/290244-sonic-hedgehog-poll-part-i.html
    Part II: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/video-games-technology/290352-sonic-hedgehog-poll-part-ii.html

2. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    SA1, though for me that's something of a stretch as this is where the series began to nosedive.

3. UltraMagnus3786

I loved Sonic Adventure when I first got to play it on Gamecube actually. Sonic and Tails levels were the best, followed by Knux. The other characters should've been scrapped. I think it had a decent story too for the time period, but I still prefer Sonic characters to be mute. Good to see the blue guy in 3d.

Adventure 2 upped the ante a bit with the two sides and 3 modes of gameplay. They refined the Sonic levels, the treasure hunt became harder, and I hated the shooting levels. Man, I just wanted to fly as Tails and couldn't! However, I voted for this one because the story was pretty good (altho the dialogue was awful), and I enjoyed the Sonic/Knux stages.

Shadow was kind of a bust. The branching storylines felt a little gimmicky, as did the horribly aimed gun/vehicle aspects. The story became a little too convoluted as well. Sega was just hopping on the success of the character in Adventure 2. I know I'm sick when it comes to Sonic games and don't see the faults until much lat-- when I played this I actually liked it. Looking back it was pretty trashy, although it was cool to see some other characters make cameos.

Heroes was also trashy looking back. I would've preferred just one team instead of the four. Sonic purists were probably ripping their hair out as you only played as the main character 1/12th the time!!! IMO the whole game with its alternating leaders was a gimmick, and getting all the emeralds was really hard! It just wasn't as fun as the Adventure titles or Shadow for that matter.

To be honest though, I'm not sure which 3D generation of sonic games I preferred, this one or the next.

4. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Woah woah woah......you're saying Sonic Heroes isn't as good as Shadow the Hedgehog?

Heroes is a GOD SEND compared to that travesty. Even Sonic '06 was better then that piece of shit.

I went "Sonic Heroes". Yes they overloaded it with characters, but it's the only 3D Sonic game that came really close to being classic Sonic. No side mission crap, no hubs, no treasure hunting. Just get from point A to point B then go to the next level.

5. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Sonic Heroes will always have a special place in my heart despite its obvious flaws because

1) It was the first multi-console sonic game, so not having a dreamcast or gamecube at the time it was the first fully 3D Sonic game I owned.
    2) Metal Sonic
    3) I did like the 3 team control idea
    4) Metal Sonic
    5) It brought back the Chaotix!
    6) Metal Sonic
    7) It had special stages, unlike the "chaos emerald at the end of every level" we get now
    8) Metal Sonic
    9) It was the last game before the 4kids voice cast took over.

and did I mention

10) Metal Sonic :lol 

Sonic Adventure is great though, but SA2 is REALLY overrated IMO.

6. UltraMagnus3786

heheh well to be honest my memory is a bit rusty. but I feel like shadow had none of the things you mentioned either. you could blow thru a level and complete different objectives based on whether u were playing good, bad, or neutral paths. it was glitchy as hell and you couldn't aim the guns, but i remember it being relatively FUN. heroes to me was a good attempt at bringing the original feel to 3d, but fell short in essentially making u play the game 4 times with each team, and not really giving (significantly) different paths. you could go up or down depending on which character the floating monitors suggested but it didn't make a difference. also i found myself playing as the power guy the most over the glitchy speedster.

the levels themselves with the two acts and varying musical themes was a nice throwback to the genesis days tho, as were the special stages.

it's really hard for me to say which was better =)

7. UltraMagnus3786

keep voting here too all, gotta break that tie!

8. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    What happened to Poll Part 2?

9. UltraMagnus3786

The link is in the first post. Sonic only gets love from a select few in these parts =(