Sonic the Hedgehog Poll Part I

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by UltraMagnus3786, Feb 3, 2010.

?

What's your favorite "G1" Sonic game?

Poll closed Feb 10, 2010.
  1. Sonic the Hedgehog

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  2. Sonic CD

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  3. Sonic the Hedgehog 2

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  4. Sonic the Hedgehog 3

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
  5. Sonic and Knuckles

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  6. Knuckles in Sonic the Hedgehog 2

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and Knuckles

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  8. Sonic 3D Blast

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Sonic Chaos

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Sonic Triple Trouble

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Kuckles' Chaotix

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

With Project Needlemouse on the horizon, I'd like to figure out what everyone's favorite Sonic game is. There's vast disagreement over how a sonic game should be handled, and disagreement over what the core gameplay is. Some emphasize pure running like the Sonic of the Genesis days. However upon actually playing these games, you'll find there's significant platforming and it's less about speed. Some emphasize a slower adventure that focuses on exploring. Sonic adventure comes to mind here. Others prefer to have a robust character selection with altering modes of play, a la Sonic Heroes.

In a series of polls, I'll pit games from a certain "Generation" against each other, and then the winners will duke it out from there. I will also state my own position on these games, having played most of them. For the purposes of the poll, "specialty" games like Sonic Spinball or Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine will be excluded. Each poll will close in about a week.

So without further ado, please vote for your favorite "G1" Sonic game and sound off your reasons below.

Note: Due to the nature of Sonic and Knuckles' lock-on technology, I've decided to put "Sonic 3" and "Sonic 3 and Knuckles" as separate games.

2. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

i see no option for sonc spinball.

good.

3. magmatron

magmatron Hyper Sentinel Force!

News Credits:
    I don't see a reason to include the variants of 2 & 3.

4. UltraMagnus3786

What's so compelling about a lot of the games on the above list is that they had some sort of innovation from the previous version. 1 Setup the franchise, but 2 added multiplayer, super sonic, and was overall bigger and better. Likewise, 3/Knuckles (I really view them as one long game) updated the sprites, had variance in the playable characters (and this was the last time playing as someone besides sonic was ever fun), different multiplayer modes, the ability to save your game, and PLOT. the characters were able to say way more in their actions and the cutscenes than any sonic game that actually gave a voice to the characters. for me, sonic 3 & knux was the pinnacle of the franchise, but i'm not sure i'd want the franchise to copy its formula.

sonic cd and chaotix deserve runners up for being innovative in their own ways as well. they both benefitted from the visual upgrades of better hardware. CD introduced a time travel element and focused more on exploration, while the gameplay of chaotix centered on the physics of the elastic powered rings and balanced co-op. i never beat the latter but it was a gorgeous and quirky game.

sonic is NOT just about running and speed in my opinion. it's about creating beautiful environments and giving the player the option of speed or exploration-- speed would only get you but so far in a sonic game. Really learning the levels, collecting enough rings, and finding the hidden rooms were what the early games were about.

and the tunes! hot damn those tracks here hot. these were the good days of sonic tunes...

my top 3 ranking:
    1. sonic 3 & knuckles
    2. sonic cd
    3. sonic 2

5. UltraMagnus3786

I included them because I think they really do become different games, especially 3 & knuckles. I think someone could hypothetically enjoy sonic 3 but not the added levels/integration of knuckles, and would therefore want just the clean sonic 3 game on the list. additionally, you get a whole new ending when you combine the two games, an ending not found individually in either.

on a side note, i remember the advertisements for lock-on technology and wanted to play as knuckles with my brother as tails. it's a shame that combination never existed, and he was forever relegated to playing as that decoy tails.

6. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Sonic 2 all the way. Honourable mention to Sonic CD for giving us Metal Sonic though.

And while I agree that Sonic 3 & Knuckles does feel like a whole new game rather than playing the 2 apart, Sonic 2 & Knuckles doesnt really, it just makes the game far too easy

I feel the same about Sonic Labyrinth.

7. UltraMagnus3786

I wholeheartedly agree. But then I thought it'd be weird to put in one but not the other, so I figured I'd put them both in and have nobody vote for Knux in Sonic 2 :wink: 

8. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    What, no Mean Bean Machine?

9. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    I actually like and commend you for how youve addressed these titles.

10. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Had to go with Sonic 2 and Sonic CD being a close second. These are my favorite as stand alones. Sonic 3 combined with Sonic and Knuckles I feel is really the best overall adventure, but I don't give it full credit since you were paying for two games.

Sonic 2 may stand as the the best Christmas gift I ever really got, just because I was so excited for it.

11. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sonic CD all the way, I played that game just about every day for six weeks before I cracked the 'race' level. It's my favourite for the following reasons:

- The soundtrack
    - The time travel function
    - 3D special stage

Sonic 3 comes in 2nd, and Chaotix 3rd for the beautiful 2D graphics and 'time' feature, if nothing else.

12. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Sonic and Knuckles. Good stuff. Goooood stuff.

13. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    Sonic & Knuckles with Sonic 3. That's just a ton of content for that kind of game from those days.

14. UltraMagnus3786

I had played the genesis version of sunset riders at a friend's house and begged my dad to get me a sega. i was so excited when i got my first genesis back in the early 90s, and it came with two amazing games: streets of rage 2 and sonic 2. they sure don't bundle them like they used to =P

15. UltraMagnus3786

Thank you!!

16. Mixmaster

Mixmaster logh ghot SIS yoD TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Sonic 3 and Knuckles. Slightly better than the sum of it's parts.

17. UltraMagnus3786

damn this is close, keep voting people before the poll closes!