Sonic satm video game prototype

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Gaastra, May 17, 2007.

1. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  2. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I'm not certain that SATM is an accepted acronym for 'Saturday Morning'.
    I really had no idea what the thread was.

The game didn't look too bad really. There was some good animation for the Sonic character.

It was a little odd that the focus didn't seem to be on speed.
    Still, all the 3D Sonic games have focused on speed but the control and camera has been so horrendously bad that going fast normally equals death.

3. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Looked to slow. I think they where right not to finish it.

4. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    The accepted acronym is 'SatAM.' This only ever shows up when talking about Sonic The Hedgehog, probably to differentiate it from the four other Sonic the Hedgehog cartoons.

Damn, there have been a lot of sonic cartoons. Mario only got two!

5. DrSpengler

DrSpengler The Real Ghostbuster

Three (Super Show, Adventures of Super Mario Bros 3, Super Mario World). Four if you include the Japanese anime OVA series and five if you include the All-Stars rerun block. And maybe even six if you include the Donkey Kong segments from Saturday Supercade he was featured in.

6. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Waaaaayyyy too slow for a Sonic game. Besides, I hated the US Sonic cartoons anyway.

7. Greenshadow0

Greenshadow0 Well-Known Member

It doesn't look to appealing, maybe that's why they canceled it.

8. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Some of the concepts used in this prototype were also supposed to be used in Sonic Xtreme for the Saturn, which was also canceled. It might be an early precursor to Sonic Xtreme, with the game codenamed "Sonic Mars" being an intermediate stage in the evolution of this concept into the much more promising Sonic Xtreme.

9. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If this had come out, I think people still would have eaten it up. This is only one tiny snipet from an unfinished game, as stealth elements may have led up into the speed levels.

10. Samana Rombuca

Samana Rombuca Well-Known Member

Hmm, it has the flavor of Adventure and beyond, albeit really slowed down and with elements of stealth. I'm not really missing it. If there was ever a Sonic game I would of liked to play, it'd have been Xtreme.

11. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    If this had come out the speed elements probably would have been reserved for certain stages or boss fights. Being based on SatAM, the stealth, espionage, and rescue elements would dominate over speed, and be more like a traditional platform game. As a spin-off game akin to Mario Kart, this probably would have been pretty good. Too bad it never got finished... who knows, Nintendo is encouraging new games for the Virtual Console instead of just rereleases, maybe someone will get around to finishing it... and maybe I'm delusional, either one.

12. peeman

peeman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    what was xtreme meant to have been about then

13. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Sonic Xtreme was going to be the first 3D Sonic game.
    It was initially designed for the ill conceived 32X then later moved to the Saturn.

The game would have featured an odd "fish eye" lens perspective that would have either been its undoing or hailed as a major innovation.

However, Sega at that time was its own worst enemy and could not get this game finished. Instead they gave us a version of Sonic 3-D Blast that had more colors than the Genesis version and -well, that's it. (I still don't know how an isometric viewpoint could be passed off as "3-D").

There is a ton of concept art and level designs on the game at the Sonic Xtreme Compendium.

I suggest any Sonic fan check it out. The game looks surprisingly further along than I had imagined. Its sad to think that Sega couldn't get their act together and get this game out on the Saturn. Its sadder still to think they couldn't modify the Clockwork Knight engine and make an awesome 2D Sonic game that way.
    However its saddest of all to look at "Sonic the Hedgehog" for the 360 and realize that this game is making a profit for Sega by brand name alone as it is truly the worst piece of software I have played in years.

I had hoped that the rumored Sonic for XBLA arcade would be something along the lines of what Xtreme was going to be (especially seeing Mario Galaxy having similar play elements) but, alas it seems it will be a straight port of Sonic 1.
    Because Sega knows that no Sonic fan ever bought the Sonic Mega Collection which has almost all the 16 bit Sonic games.