Sonic Rush Adventure

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by GigatronSama, Sep 20, 2007.

1. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

This came out yesterday and I picked up my copy. Fitting with the nautical theme that it comes out on Talk Like a Pirate day.

So far I'm loving every minute of it. Gameplay wise the heart of the game is still Sonic rush. You now can switch between sonic and blaze instead of choosing different stories, that's the only change.

The real addition is the adventure element. There's not much in terms of exploration like Sonic Adventure for the dreamcast, but rather you simply plot a coarse with your stylus and play a very enjoyable jet ski minigame to get where you want to go. The minigame plays out much like the bonus stages of Sonic Rush, only on flat water, rather than a half pipe, and much less demanding, as you only need to reach the end rather than meet any ring requirement.

Graphically Sonic Rush Adventure has improved on the first Sonic Rush. It's still primarily a 3D model over 2D background game, but with more 3D elements thrown in during short segments of some levels. These are pretty simple, and still have a 2D style play, but the 3D really helps the presentation.

Cutcenes are also now mostly in 3D as well. While the longer conversations occur in Sonic Rush's cutouts over a background style, when something is actually going on you'll be presented with some gorgeous 3D that by all reason the DS should not be able to do. Very much pushing out of the N64's territory and starting to invade the domain of the Dreamcast.

the cell shaded 3D bosses are also back and they are gorgeous as always. Bosses have quite a long life meter this time around as opposed to the 6 to 8 hits it took to take down the bosses of sonic rush so the battles are longer and more intense.

Sound wide, if you liked the trippy Jpop midi synth with looping samples style of Sonic Rush you'll be glad to know it's back, and as trippy as ever. Can't say I've heard any tracks as memorable as Jeh Jeh Rocket or Wrapped in black, but I'm still early in the game.

There's more replayabillity as well. The time attacks are back, along with the level ranking, but there's also special challenges which can add features to the map as a sort of trophy for your accomplishments.

So far the story is a bit more light hearted than the first Sonic Rush but maybe it's high time Sonic stopped being so dark (I'm looking directly at you Shadow).

Really I can't find anything bad to say about this game. It's Sonic Rush but improved in every category. Go pick it up.

2. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    I agree. I just got the game for my birthday and it is HIGHLY enjoyable. In almost every way I enjoy it more then the original. It is a well made game, and I love it.

By coincidence I also got Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass with its nautical theme, too. Between the two, I love the action of Sonic better.

3. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I liked Sonic Rush a great deal- best Sonic game since the Genesis titles, IMO. I haven't bought this new one yet since I have a lot to play at the moment, but it will be mine.

4. DorkimusPrime

DorkimusPrime King of the Squirrels

Sonic Rush was pretty good, but as a Sonic supporter since 1991, I cringe when I see "Sonic" and "Adventure" in the same title, so Sonic Rush Adventure, at least initially, was an automatic pass for me. :lol 

5. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I can't wait for my kid to open his on Christmas.

Waiting sucks!