Sonic and the Black Knight- Succeeds where Unleashed fails?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Radioactive Ravage, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

Okay, let's get things straight. While the Hedgehog engine was graphically beautiful and the Daytime levels rocked, the 360/PS3 version of Sonic Unleashed received worse scores than the Wii version, which did not include the ridiculous 3D hub worlds. Sonic Unleashed sold well, and was even praised for the ingenious Daytime levels, the all-around experience was not enjoyable because of the dreaded Werehog, which had good game mechanics, but just wasn't meant for a Sonic game. Too slow, and too "meh". So how do we reprimand this?

Enter "Sonic and the Black Knight":

With a theme composed by Crush 40, the band that has made the 80's guitar riffs and wacky soundtracks a staple to the Sonic Series, the preview trailer was released to the public. While minimal gameplay was shown, the basic idea was clear- Sonic has a sword, and he's stuck in the story of King Arthur, where the famous legend has been corrupted and rules the land as the Black Knight.

Gameplay mechanics are simple enough- The player slashes with the Wii Remote and controls Sonic with the Analog stick. While no news as to alternate control schemes has been released, there could potentially be a Gamecube-control system, as with Sonic Unleashed.

This time around, its all about speed- No Nighttime Werehog levels, just speedy daytime play. Swordplay has been implemented in such a way that it will not slow down the high-speed hedgehog, though at times, players will have to engage enemies in more intense swordfights, using parries, thrusts, and special moves. Missions are also included, as well as an EXP system that, unlike Sonic and the Secret Rings, will not detract from the speed of the game. Smiting or saving villagers boosts your Knight ranking.

More Characters, in a good way- Three other playable characters will be featured as Knights of the Round Table- Knuckles, Shadow, and Blaze, each with their own fighting style (Knuckles dual-wields deadly blades). However, these characters will be optional the whole way, and one will not have to play as them in order to complete the game. These characters can race against one another or team up to fight enemies in multiplayer mode.

So far, we've seen limited gameplay, but from what it looks like, we're in for a truly fast, truly "Sonic" experience. No slow Werehog sections like in Unleashed, and to tell you the truth, this baby looks even faster than Unleashed did. The plot may be a little shallow, but who cares? I'm excited for a rewarding Hedgehog experience. Personally, I was worried about Sonic Unleashed, but enjoyed the Daytime speed levels. If this game is anything like they were... bring it on, SEGA!

However, you didn't come here to hear my opinion, you came here to make your own. Check out the gameplay footage! Thanks, Sonic Stadium!

The Sonic Stadium Blog Archive IGN Showcases Completely Different SatBK Trailer

New Sonic & the Black Knight Trailer

2. CrypticIllusionist

CrypticIllusionist Well-Known Member

I certainly hope it's better but I really see no reason in believing it will be. I got Sonic Unleashed for Wii for Christmas and quite honestly, it's the most disappointing I've ever found a Sonic game. I honestly found Sonic and the Secret Rings much better.

3. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Doesn't this pattern repeat with every single Sonic game?

Fevered hope that it'll be an improvement on the last god-awful entry until its finally released and fans' hopes & dreams are crushed by the footprint of reality?

4. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    Paladin took the words right out of my mouth.

5. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I've given up on ever playing a good Sonic game again. If I want to relive the glory days, I just hook up my old Sega again and plug in Sonic and Knuckles.

6. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A good 3D sonic game? I've been disappointed too many times.

I'm out.

7. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

And yet.. if they did make a regular *left to right* game.. I'm sure people would be bitching as well.

8. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Wish they'd just use the old Sonic CD engine and go from there, then sell it as an arcade download.

9. strscrm

strscrm GAME BOY ETERNITY

Sonic and the Black Knight looks like, what I've seen thus far, looks like it could end up being a fast-paced Zelda game that might be light on the Adventure element. The new Crush 40 tune for the game is a miss. A lot of their work is more miss than hit, but they've had some great hits before.

The day stages and daytime boss stages were stellar that truly brought back fond memories of Sonic 3 and Sonic CD ascended into 3D. Hopefully in the future we'll see a continuation of these daytime moments as a collection of classic stages from the classic Sonic games using the Hedgehog engine. Its okay to make a Sonic game that only takes 5 hours to beat because its about replay value.

10. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Then you should have a reason, seeing has how it's made by the same team that did Sonic and the Secret Rings. Seriously, don't compare it to Unleashed. It's two completely different teams.

11. strscrm

strscrm GAME BOY ETERNITY

How can both games be made the same team and by two completely different teams? [baffles the mind]

12. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

You simply need to read.

Sonic Black Night Team = Sonic Secrete Rings team
    Sonic Black Night Team != Sonic Unleashed Team.

Therefor.. Sonic:BL and Sonic:tSR are made by the same team.

Which is a completly diffrent team then Sonic:Unleashed

13. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    This has potential aslong as it doesnt have abysmal motion controls like the ones that killed my love for Sonic and the Secret Rings and almost did the same for Unleashed (luckily I have the classic controller, so my love for the game only grew with that).

14. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Yes. Sonic and the Secret Rings, and Sonic and the Black Knight are part of a spin off series made by an entirely different team.

15. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I played Unleashed and I was kinda happy with the day time stuff as it reminded me of what sonic used to be about going fast as f**k but looking at BK its like they took the stuff that didn't work or just seemed to slow down game play when it didnt need to be their in a game all about speed and dragged it out.

IMO they need to do something like Street Fighter HD remix or Bionic commando and go old school with a face lift none of these extra characters or gimmicks

16. SoundMaster

SoundMaster Likes RID Bulkhead.

News Credits:
    Personally, I liked every bit of Sonic U, daytime and nighttime stages. I liked the night stages because of one reason: they were fun. The controls using the GC controller were excellent, and even if there was an overhaul of werehog stages, it was still a great game.

Sonic & the black night looks okay, I will probably get the game.

What I really can't stand in the sonic franchise is all of the pointless characters. Tails and knuckles are fine, along with a few others, but then you have characters such as Silver and whatever the hell the 3 idiots in riders were called, whom were utterly pointless, and altogether suck as a character.Not to mention, there are way to much.
    Sega: "New game? OMG! We need a new character! NOW!!!

17. Lord Megatron

Lord Megatron FFFF

"Sonic is done! He's past it! he doesn't need more games, he needs help! Specifically, the kind of help that involves taking him behind the shed and tearfully putting both barrels through his confused, oblivious little face.

Stuff him, mount him, repurpose him as a litter-picking device"

18. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

Well, the Daytime stages in Unleashed were awesome. The Werehog killed it. I don't think it was a completely abysmal game... I enjoyed the daytime stages immensely. If they implement the great daytime stages from Unleashed and layer the swordplay atop it, I'll be fine.

To tell you the truth, I have SA2:B, Sonic Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic Rush, and Unleashed, and I can tell you that in every game there has been at least one enjoyable experience. Shadow was just annoying because of the "DAMNS" and "HELLS", SA2 is fun, Sonic Heroes is fun (on mute), Rush is AWESOME, and Unleashed has fantastic daytime levels. If you look past minor annoyances like camera angle (Which I never understood... I think the camera angles are fine), you can really enjoy these games. I don't understand why everyone thinks they're awful, at yet they sell millions of copies. So you have hardcore Sonic fans who will buy crap in a box with Sonic's name stamped on it, but I personally buy the game and judge for myself. I was hopeful about Unleashed because I thought the daytime levels looked great. Werehog, eh. The gameplay is repetitive and not meant for a Sonic game. I think people have spent so much time saying "SEGA can never redeem themselves" that when SEGA does something right (Rush, Daytime levels of Unleashed), they don't compliment the effort, but bash the faults. If you say, "Hey, Unleashed was awesome aside from the Night levels" SEGA says, "Hey, maybe we should make an entirely speedy game."

Plus, the Sonic and the Secret Rings team said they're trying to fix their mistakes, which means we might have us a good game, here. Sonic and the Secret Rings wasn't that bad.

19. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    They just need to give up trying to cram 2d sidescrollers into 3d crapfests. This includes Sonic, Metroid, Castlevania, Mario brothers(new smb on the DS was freakin awesome), and a number of others.

I want classic gameplay, and badass 3d HD graphics. Not this fumbly third person rotatiing camera crap. New SMB for the DS was the shit, because it combined good modern graphics(well, what they could get onto a DS anyway) and used the classic and successful gameplay, with the end result being a successful game.

Castlevania has been surviving on the gameboy for years now, but I want badass HD graphics on my big screen TV. I seriously hate playing games on my DS with the crappy small screens.

Metroid... sorry, could never get into metroid prime, I want my classic gameplay style back.

And sonic... it's seriously been the worst offender of them all for close to what, a over a decade now? If I wanted to play a racing game with obstacles to dodge, I'd go do that. And why do all the sonic games have that lame homing jump? Oh that's right, because without having that they'd be idiotically difficult due to camera problems.

20. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    Wow, nearly 20 posts and Twin Twist hasn't come to defend his dying hero? I'm shocked. :lol