Sometimes I get the feeling that they're not even trying...

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Mad Dawg, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Mad Dawg

Mad Dawg Autobot Brewmeister

I'll say that the majority of Transformers have recognizable alt modes (obviously a plane, obviously a car) and relatively complex transformations (with the exception of the Jumpstarters). Sometimes, however, they appear to be a clusterf*ck of random parts, signifying nothing, and with a far too simple transformation to boot... e.g. Cybertron Metroplex.

Now I loved Metroplex as a child, and I was thrilled to hear that a new Metroplex was coming out. When it hit the shelves, my excitement quickly turned to dismay. WTF is he supposed to be? He looks cool enough in robot mode, but in alt mode it looks like his robot mode is preparing to be entered from behind, sexually, while a steamshovel sits atop his back.

I know, I know... He is some sort of giant excavator. It's not the stupid alt mode that bothers me so much as how he appears to transform. It's too obvious, too simple. As another example, consider Titanium Series Optimal Optimus. The robot lies on his stomach while going into "Stretch Armstrong" mode and there you have it... A fighter jet! WTF?!

It all sort of reminds of that scene in Family Guy where Steven King says, "For my next book, the villain will be... *looks frantically all around the room* a big scary lamp!" To which the publisher replies, "You're not even trying anymore, are you?" Let's face it, with some Transformers they are not even trying. Now I know there have been numerous threads about who our least favorite Transformers are, but I am wondering which bots do we all think are indications of the Hasbro/Takara design department(s) putting forth as little effort as possible?

2. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You should transform Metroplex like this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Idea from the Allspark:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    ooh ooh metroplex fanmode time!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    also, for good measure:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    The alt mode is lame but the robot mode more than makes up for it with its pure awesomeness.

And Optimal Optimus always had shitty alt modes, even in the cartoon.

6. Kristof

Kristof Well-Known Member

Now all he needs is Babe the gigantic robotic Ox as a companion.

7. CarafelliusMaximus

CarafelliusMaximus G1 Junkie

Energon Omega Supreme had a pretty lame vehicular mode. The fact that he could split into two other alts and each of them stand on end was pretty bad too.

8. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I hear you Mad Dawg... It isn't a new trend though. Back in the 80's, the post-movie toys were a lot like this. They went from being semi realistic alt modes to flying bricks with wings. This is where I lost interest as a kid.

These days, its almost as if they design the robot modes first. Metroplex is a good example of this. Let's make an awesome robot and then try to make him transform into something.

9. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

ditto on the losing interest after the movie cuz of the toys. KA, those are AMAZING fan modes!!!

10. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I've always considered Cyb. Metroplex to be a modern version of a Pretender. Fold him in half, stick an accessory on top, and voila, instant alt mode.

11. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

There trying man, its just the future..

12. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    hey, thats pretty spot on. kudos!

...just makes my lumberjack digibash makes more sense!

13. Wolfguard

Wolfguard Your own personal Jesus.

OMFG that is badass! Metro-Halen :ev:  :rock 

14. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

Metro-Halen does rule, somebody should do a fan mode of that..

15. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    Love those fan modes!:thumb 

16. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

P P:
    Uh, hmm...because Armorhide, Backstop, Backtrack, Blurr, Brimstone, Brushguard, Clocker, Crosswise, Dirt Boss, Downshift, Evac, Hardtop, Hot Shot, Jetfire, Jolt, Landmine, Lugnutz, Mudflap, Optimus Prime, Oval, Overhaul, Override, Quickmix, Ransack, Red Alert, Reverb, Runamuck, Scattershot, Scourge, Sideways, Six Speed, Skywarp, Snarl, Spiral, Starscream, Swerve, Swindle, Thunderblast, Thundercracker, Undermine, and Wreckloose have such poorly defined altmodes that you can't tell what they are supposed to be without the instructions.

Even the 'flying post movie bricks with wings' bit is vastly oversimplified if you actually look at ALL the post-movie designs. Start here:

http://www.tfu.info/year/87index.htm

And you will find such designs as Chromedome, Crosshairs, Pointblank, Skullcruncher, Hosehead, Nightbeat, Siren, Scoop, Landfill, Quickmix, and vast armies of Micromasters are anything but 'flying bricks with wings'. Brainstorm is about 75% an X-Wing fighter!

Now, I *did* think this too, as a kid. I think it was because I didn't have any post-movie toys, and some kid brought Sixshot or Quickswitch into school. But the fact is, I had to change my mind after learning more.

Good. Now for the truthy kernel. C-Metroplex and C-Menasor appear to have been designed around their robot mode, making their altmodes somewhat ad hoc. Aaron Archer in fact cheerfully admitted that they had spent too much design time on Metroplex' two robot modes and ended up compromising the vehicle mode. However, a simple pushing forward of the shoulders makes this mode far better than the instructions show, and as we see these fantasy altmodes have an excellent advantage in their vast fan mode potential, as anybody can see who has transformed Energon Sixshot or Shockblast into his lobster, cannon, Godzilla, tower, or pistol fanmodes. Furthermore, Menasor's in-package mode actually makes use of an undocumented set of connectors to make a better altmode than that shown in his instructions. Dave van Domelen found this out:

http://www.dvandom.com/images/menasoralt.JPG

So, you are right about Metroplex...the robot mode did come first...and are perhaps right about Menasor, though I don't know this...but my point is that these are about the only two designs your comment applies to, out of the whole Cybertron line. Fair enough?

17. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Anyone have pics of Cyb Metroplex fan mode next to the G1 Metroplex of the mode it is to be mimicking? I might have missed that one somewhere along the way.

18. Mad Dawg

Mad Dawg Autobot Brewmeister

That looks like the SDF-1 with a MASSIVE boner! I don't need an NC-17 alt mode of Metroplex ruining one of my childhood franchises. That's what Kiss Players is for.

Now this is pretty freaking sweet...

Kudos to you, Ka! By your photos, it looks like C-Metroplex could pass as a part of the Classics line. It just proves my point, though. If it's so easy for the fans to come up with, why didn't Hasbro/Takara's design people just get it right the first time? Why aren't these the pictures on the back of the box instead of that crappy alt mode they came up with? It's SOOOOO ugly!!!

19. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    well, i did ripped those of cata....-.-"

20. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

I like that Vector Prime launching bay idea