Something that's been bugging me...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Ultra Lagmus, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Ultra Lagmus

Ultra Lagmus Well-Known Member

In the NES game Mega Man IV (from 1991, BTW), one of the bosses, Drill Man, seems very reminiscent of a Transformer (pics below), but I can't seem to pin him down. Whenever I see Drill Man, it conjures up a hazy memory of a toy from waaay back when ('80s).

[​IMG]
    Something seems especially familiar when he transforms into the drill tank. And the color, a lot of red (maybe with black) in association with the drill plus the drill being on his head in robot mode.

Nosecone of the Technobots instantly came to mind but the color is all wrong and the drill tank form looks all off (not a solid block, back narrower and raised), not to mention no drill on the head.

[​IMG]
    (1970s earth-toned color scheme also anything but matches what I vaguely had in mind)

Next thing that came to mind is that mail-away Powerdasher.
    [​IMG]
    But the colors are off, the tank form doesn't seem right (drill deeply recessed). What I vaguely had in mind was much more streamlined in form that this Powerdasher.

Hmmm, is there some GoBot that looks like him? Or perhaps another transforming robot knockoff from the time? Anything drill-tank + red come to mind?

2. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    He reminds me more of something that would have come out of Astro Boy.

...like everything else in Mega Man.

3. Drohitan

Drohitan Rogue Decepticon

There was a gobot, Screwhead. Renegade. Primarily black with red highlights. Looks a lot like Drill Dasher but red where the yellow is. Although in the cartoon his face was part of his 'drill-bit' if I remeber correctly.

4. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
  5. Deonasis

Deonasis Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A long shot but you may be thinking of this Renegade with his pincer hands -> Scorp

6. Ultra Lagmus

Looking at it, I did have some GoBots as a kid (I remember the train one and a small limo or luxury car one, cream-colored, and the space shuttle). The transformation and figure does look close, the only thing that's off is the color. That makes me think the distance of the memory was conflating Screw-Head here with another GoBot, one that had a body like that drill tank body only it was another vehicle and that was the red one.

If Screw Head's arms push in during the transformation like Drill Man's sprites do, then it's definately him.

... browsing GoBots for what I may be merging Screw Head with. I don't see any that have the right shade in mind. Maybe I was fusing Screw Head with a TF like Perceptor.

Dive-Dive is reminiscent a little of Dive Man from MM4 too, but only in color. The only other robot masters that have vehicle-based forms are Charge Man (locomotive engine), Gyro Man (helicopter), Turbo Man (race car) and in the new retro games, Galaxy Man (UFO) & Nitro Man (motorcycle). Heat Man is based on a lighter though.

7. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

The Thunderbirds' Mole?

8. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, given that the concept of Mega Man started as an Astro Boy game before the license fell though...

You forgot Ground Man from Mega Man and Bass, who actually transformed into a drill tank. Also, Cold Man was a freezer, if that counts :lol  (actually, quite a few more could be added to the list if we count appliances).

EDIT: Oh yeah, and Dive Man, who was a submarine. Man, I would love a Crossover line with Mega Man!

9. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Dive Man did not transform. When he launches himself across the screen, he spins. He does not transform.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  10. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There was an orange knock off of the go bot drill. I saw a bunch of these as kids. I wish I knew the name and I've been looking for it like mad.

11. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I know he doesn't transform. Neither do Charge Man or Gyro Man. The poster said Robot Masters with vehicle based forms, not ones that transform into vehicles. Although, I DID miss that he already mentioned Dive Man (I think I read that as Bubble Man, for some bizarre reason :lol ).

12. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Are you guys forgetting about Turbo Man, who actually transforms into a (very small) car?

EDIT: Never mind, Lagmus got him.

13. Ultra Lagmus

Dive Man was based on a submarine. The periscope on the head should tip that off. His spin attack can either be likened to a submarine or a torpedo.