Something that struck me as odd

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jorod74, Jan 2, 2009.

1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I went with my mom to walmart to help her get some things for dad and as we are shopping, a group of about 7 young people (16-25 maybe?) approached us.
    one asked my mom where Wendy's is in this town.
    she gives him instructions Helen Keller couldn't screw up and tells him twice.

they leave, then come back and ask again.
    then another asks for my mom's cell phone number in case they get lost trying to find the place.

i don't like this. they won't leave mom alone and i step in.
    the directions are:
    outside walmart, hang a right, 2nd traffic light, turn right and just under 2 miles ahead, it is on the right. only place open at that hour.

not being able to get that right bothered me so i offered to help and what i did was lead them to a cop at the entrance and that is when they split.

freaky as hell. i don't know what they were wanting to do with my mom. prank or not, they were all douchebags and i am glad they didn't get what they were looking for
    it was just odd. too odd to me.:wtf: 

anything like that happen to you?

2. Spoon

Spoon Banned

Once I was laughing and insulting this guy I knew as he walked up a ramp.

The I realised he was being herded by policymen.

'Twas awkward.

Especially when I ran into the same policymen when me and my friends were going down a ramp on a trolley a few days later...

3. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    :lol  simple next time don't tell them your cell number!!!!!! seesh!!!!!!

4. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    I dunno, is your mom hot? :p 

5. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Seems to me they were going to get your Mum to take them to the Wendys then Mug her.

6. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

that is odd. you could always kick one of them in the teeth to serve as a lesson for the others

7. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That. Is. Crazy.

Or actually, not really. Maybe I'm just not getting the real vibe of the story from you, but honestly, they just sound like kids + confusion + desire for fast food. All of which just adds up to maybe some teens with the munchies. Not exactly the most threatening encounter.

8. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

I'm inclined to believe that you handled this correctly. You followed your gut.

9. Reeds

Reeds Q-Wing Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

Never talk to people in Wal Mart. If someone says this is the wrong attitude, they're probably the people you shouldn't talk to in Wal Mart.

10. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

You did the right thing by leading them to a cop. Just to be safe becasue you never know. Way to step in man. It's usually the ones that seem most trustworthy (or harmless) that can be dangerous

A similar thing just happened to an 80 year old woman. They got her in the car and duct taped her in her own backseat and beat her senseless while they drove her car around.
    She kept calling out for her husband for help, who just previously died like a week before it happened. :( 
    Luckily a cop pulled them over for a busted light or something and saw her.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  11. GW_Freak

GW_Freak Banned

We'll be the judge of that! Let's see some pics!

12. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You could become his step-dad! Gotta be cool and let him borrow the car on Friday nights though... but you'll never be his 'real' dad...

13. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ladies and gentlemen, may I present the new llamatron!

14. bme™

bme™ Well-Known Member

I had an awkward moment at Wal-Mart last night too.

I was shopping for some food, totally oblivious of everything. My buddy was with me and I heard him laugh. When asked, he said he'd tell me in a minute. So I continue walking around in the same isle for a while, and then as we leave the isle, he said some cute girl right next to me was checking me out and the whole time I never noticed. He thought it was funny as hell.

:( 

15. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    That is weird. Young people not being able to take directions well. The is weird.

16. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

It's obvious that these youngsters were trying to get something from you and your mom, mostly cash, credit cards, whatever they can scam off of you. You were certainly wise to lead them out of the store and right to the police officer (who happened to be in the right place at the right time).

Incidentally, I know how you feel... the oddness of what just happened to you and your mom. A couple months ago, there was a rash of break-ins in my area that was totally out of the ordinary... I can understand this happening in Ann Arbor and metro Detroit, but never in the rural area my family lives in. Anyways, one night my family was sitting down to dinner, when we happen to see somebody pulling up in the drive. Just as my mom got up to go turn on the outdoor lights, we saw that whoever it was who pulled up the drive immediately turned around and made a beeline down our road. My brother ended up running up to his place, which is just up the road from us, to make sure everything was alright. I knew right away what had just happened... somebody was going to attempt to break into our house. The only lights that we had on were in our great room, which is combination dining and living room, which is towards the back of the house... so our house obviously looked dark and empty from the road, hence the reason why whoever it was who pulled into our drive only to drive off in a rush was going to attempt to break into our house. My mom thought it was just weird, and I felt so insecure of leaving the house for weeks on end. It wasn't until after Thanksgiving that things start to return to normal (police been busting the people responsible) and I didn't have to worry about hiding my valuables.

17. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    We had something happen to us a few days prior to Christmas. Kev had gone to bed early and I was sitting on the sofa watching television. It was around one in the morning when I heard footsteps crunching the ice on our front porch. Then our screen door clicked open and I heard fingers tapping on our main door's glass window. I couldn't see anything since we have a poster hanging in front of the window to block out light. Scared I called Kev and I heard the screen door click close then the foosteps leaving.

When Kev woke up he checked the house to see everything appeared normal. But as we pulled open the front window's blinds we saw a 2 liter pop bottle on our yard that wasn't there before. I decided to call 911 and two officers came to check out the neighborhood and our house. Apparently there has been a rash of home invasions and vandalism in our area. Nothing happened, but it still freaks me out just thinking about it.

18. the_scientist

the_scientist Well-Known Member

Or it could have been someone who was lost and used your driveway to turn around because they overshot the house or road they needed. I do it all the time. Usually pick a house that has its lights off because I don't want people to think they have surprise guests. It could have been me who pulled in and out of your driveway, lol.

19. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:

I've done that before too. I used to live in a rural area that was mostly dirt roads and everything looks the same, especially at night. It can be easy to become lost when trying to find someplace new. I wonder how many people have told a story how they KNEW I was going to break in, when I used a driveway to turn around.
    Also, it helps to read an address on a house so you can figure out where you are.

20. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I bet they had been smoking marijuana cigarettes.