Something That Really Disappoints About WfC Multiplater...

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by Kalyx triaD, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Kalyx triaD

Kalyx triaD R-Tyme Entertainment

Something That Really Disappoints About WfC Multiplayer...

I can overlook the host migration issue. It was super annoying but honestly speaking, I had more finished games than disconnected ones. I can ignore that the game matched you up with people who had the DLC when you didn't, getting you booted from matches. I can even let slide that the community dropped this like a stake stick of gum (not the fault of the game, it kinda burned me that people moved on so quick in droves). But what really gets me, something I feel could have been a non-issue and even saved this game from attach rate death:

No splitscreen or system link multiplayer. At all. Not even offline co-op. Nothing to foster a local community in the event of online community death (which happened).

Think about multiplayer games with massive cult followings, games where people kept playing long after the game's ad campaign. Halo, Mario Kart, GoldenEye, Bomberman(!), and others. What do they all have in common? They made it so groups of people can enjoy the game offline. One/two/three friends came over? No prob, you all can play.

Personally, any game that has online multiplayer has no business not having splitscreen or system link functionality. Unless we're talking about games where you don't want two players looking the same screen (Splinter Cell series, UNO, RTS games), I don't see why a shooter like WfC would not have splitscreen or system link. But I understand there may be budget issues among other things, just sharing a personal view on the matter.

War for Cybertron is, honestly, one of the most fun shooters in the last few years. Easily one of the top five games of last year. Technical issues aside (host migration, DLC boots) this game is one of the best strategic experiences I ever had. It even handled killstreaks and perks better than a certain 'blockbuster' FPS series. And the act of essentially being your own vehicle isn't praised enough.

But then the community died.

Alright. Fine. People moved on to the Halos and CoDs. They're nice games, I respect that. But me and my buds would have loved to think, "Whatever, we'll take this offline," and host LAN parties or even small splitscreen games. I would have loved to enjoy a 2plyr campaign co-op with my bro. Escalation, though not a preference of mine, would have been fun to play splitscreen or system link.

I believe these options would have added to the game's longevity, and foster pocket communities around the world. Hell, it may have ironically fueled continued online play. The last time I logged on to WfC, it counted less than 400 players logged on in the world. But every time I turn on the game for offline, it will only ever be one player on. This is a crucially missed opportunity.

If there is a War for Cybertron 2, tooled away during the requisite move tie-in's development, still in a phase where voices from the community matter: Please, High Moon Studios, put your game on the same technical level of all the past great multiplayer games. Make it so that the migrating online community isn't enough to kill your game. Make gamers like me, who still value couch play sessions, have a reason to fire up your game.

Add splitscreen and/or system link functionality to WfC2. For which modes I trust you'd find that obvious enough. Thank you. And thank you players who enjoyed the game with me. Roll out.

2. Sithknight1001

Sithknight1001 The "Fallen-er" Fallen

Yeah WFC needed split screen. Hopefully WFC2 has it.

3. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Brony

News Credits:
    THe problem is that it seems a lot of people just couldn't stand the host migration issues and the lag/connection problems. I had no problems myself, but it seems a lot of people did. This is the kind of stuff that can really turn people away. No one wants to risk paying 40-60 bucks for a game when you have no idea whether or not you can play MP or not.

I too wish the community didn't die as fast as it did. I had a blast playing the game.

4. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    100% agree. I was really disappointed when I realised this.