Something that really bugged me about Revenge of the Fallen

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by General Magnus, May 15, 2010.

1. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

There´s this scene were the military drops the body of Optimus Prime, a leader of a foreign race, like he is a piece of crap. Honestly this scene bugged me alot more than the balls, fart jokes, and whatever humor the movie had. I mean, the humans would nearly started an interstellar war with the Transformers by not showing proper respect to a fallen leader....

2. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah I see how that can piss someone off.

But honestly I dont know how to justifiy it.

3. edsonbarron

edsonbarron Well-Known Member

goes to show you that transformers rotf does have emotion to it. (this is reffering to all those people who say that the transformers movies dont have emotion) but anyway, it pissed me off to!

4. DrLee

DrLee Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That was something that popped up at me when i saw ROTF in the cinema....

5. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

One of those cases where it really messed up the potential mood of the scene. They could have lowered him gently to add some emotional impact to the scene, a way to sink in the feeling of oh darn they really killed Prime. The way other films have a character lowered slowly to show you the pain the death causes the other characters.

I know they have a character in the film who only sees them as machines but an emotional scene followed by that character being a dick would have been better story telling.

6. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    It was intentionally written and shot to troll the fans.

7. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    You mean the humans that, outside of a close-knit group, don't want the Autobots there to begin with, and follow the orders of a guy like Theodore Galloway?

8. DarthCrusher

DarthCrusher Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This. It's actually very in-character for those who were flying the helicopter.

You, as an audience member, are meant to be bugged by it.

9. Deathbringer

Deathbringer Banned

Second..

10. Ash from Carolina

I don't know if the pilot and payload crew are a part of NEST then they would have worked besides the Autobots enough to see them as being in the fight with them. Really the only one's on the base who didn't see the Autobots as part of the group would have been the suits who never fought beside the Autobots.

11. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Prime was dropped intentionally to highlight the fact that he really is dead. That there is a thread about it, that tells you how much impact that scene has. If we had just seen him lying on a runway, there would have been much less emotional impact.
    Also, in the first film, the Humans treat the dead Decepticons just the same.

Having said that, if you look at the way Prime himself treats the 'Cons he kills, they don't fare any better. They just get smote down, and left where they fall (Grindor, i'm looking at you..). I think a lot of the sentiment is missing from the second movie, like the end scene where Jazz is in two pieces in the first film. That's not really carried over to TF2.

12. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Actually if you read the novel, the winds were too strong for the helicopter to safely lower Optimus completely to the ground. The crew did the best they could.

13. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Really? If you watch that scene there is no wind at all. When prime hits the ground, he kicks up dust, which swirls and settles. Plus, you don't see prime sway before he gets dropped.

14. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You were supposed to feel this way. The non-NEST military/government saw the Transformers as a threat and wanted them gone from Earth. This scene was meant to help us see how little they cared for them.

15. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Could have been worse. They could have cut him up and used his parts to armor NEST vehicles or something, then just dumped the parts in the desert when they were done with them.

16. buickanddeere

buickanddeere Well-Known Member

Read the book. Dropping Prime was well explained.

17. catz

catz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    (without reading the novel) you mean the human military should lay Optimus gently with respect and salute and all that stuff in the mids of battlefield agains a horde of giant mchanical alien?

Curse them for not being efficient in the middle of war! :p 

18. Ash from Carolina

Well except for the wee little problem of the whole scene where Prime is taken back to the base happens during a lull in the action. The Decepticons didn't follow the team back to the base so there was no danger or hurry at the time.

I think people also keep missing the point that the film indicated that NEST had been in operation for some time. Perhaps there were some human members of NEST who might have had bad feelings toward the Autobots at first, but combat changes people's attitudes. You can find examples of that in human history where a group like African Americans were seen one way until white soldiers fought beside them then the white soldiers attitudes changed.

You expect the outsider to be a dick, but NEST should have seen the Autobots as one of their own since Prime had said that NEST had fought against several Decepticons between the two films.

19. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Who says it was a NEST pilot?

20. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Even if it was not a NEST pilot, it was still the leader of a foreiing race/species. Even if you don´t like him, you have to treat him with some respect, like you treat a normal leader in real life.