Something that bugs me about first person games.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by TFtoycollector, Jan 24, 2012.

1. TFtoycollector

TFtoycollector I'm British i am

News Credits:
    The one thing that really bugs me in a first person shooter, is the main protagonist not speaking in gameplay. Nearly every FPS game has this. It bugs the hell out of me, especially when a character says's something to you, and you just don't reply, when you would reply.

Anyone know why game creators choose for the protagonist to be silent? Also list some FPS you've played where the main protagonist does speak.

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    They do it so you can imagine it's your own voice.

3. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Use this as the opportunity to flex your voice-acting muscles. :D 

4. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nm.

5. TFtoycollector

News Credits:
    I just whish more games would do it. I know Resistance 2 does. I've never played the first one, but i've recently played the new one and the main character is silent.

6. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    First Person games are just that. First person. That means its supposed to be you playing... a whole new interactive experience. Thats why you're looking down the barrel of the weapon. Thats why you see your hands moving. Thats why they don't talk, because if they did, it wouldn't be your voice. It wouldn't be you talking.

I guess it helps complete the illusion, but honestly, it just makes me care even less. I like having a character I can relate to, not a no name mute.

7. TFtoycollector

News Credits:
    That makes sense. I never really thought of it like that.

8. Starfire22

Starfire22 Zoot Suit Riot

News Credits:
    Like *cough* Halo reach *cough*.

9. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I don't like it when the character you play as in an FPS has a name, but doesn't speak or contribute to the plot. I prefer to have an actual character to play as like in Call of Duty Black Ops. That aspect strengthened the plot and characters.

10. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    Look at the Fallout and Elder Scrolls games, while they have a third person view, they still have a sense of a FPS. The characters don't have a voice because, you can't just have 1 voice potentially for the thousands of dialoge lines. First, you have sex, male and female, than you have stuff like, different races/species. Is a lizard creature gonna talk straight up human? Or a cat person?

It adds to the effect when you make the character out to who YOU want it to be, and name them how you want them to. I speak the lines out all the time when I am playing these games, it is just fun!

11. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

I find that this works for horror games, but not very far past that. Either way, I don't mind as long as the game is fun.

12. Shatterpoint

Shatterpoint Neato

News Credits:
    Well I know of two for sure: Duke Nukem and Serious Sam.

13. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime #BanTJ

News Credits:
    Some levels in Halo 3: ODST

14. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Some of this FPS characters talk through their actions, but I'm not one who believes the FPS character is actually me unless I'm actually inputting their name.

Let me post some recent examples of modern shooters that has the character speak. Halo Reach, Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 & 3 (some characters at least, more in #3, #1 technically has one exclusive for Capt Price), Call of Duty Black Ops, Crysis (1st one), Rainbow Six Las Vegas 1 & 2, Farcry 1.

Without going into too much details, but some of characters in these games speak through actions, not words. I think a good example is Half Life 2, but that is just my opinion. Bioshock is a good one too.

15. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    That's part of the feel of Freeman, he doesn't need to talk to make you know he is there to kick ass...FOR SCIENCE!

If you really wanna know what's going through Gordons head...youtube Freemans Mind...it makes soooo much sense!

16. DroidsBane

DroidsBane Bonkles FTW

i think a lot of fans would be irritated if Gordon started talking in Half life 3, also another good example where game character doesnt need to talk is Portal and Portal 2, one of the best video game narratives and Chell never spoke one line.

17. Crazy Ramjetty

Crazy Ramjetty marvel's got it good

team fortress 2 is the opposite, you say stuff all you want and nobody replies, how many times must I inform people that I need a dispenser here?

18. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

what bugs me more in fps games is when you look right down at the floor and you have no legs or shadow or ANYTHING

19. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Absolutely! With Skyrim it's not a silent protaganist, there's just no voice actor for your lines, that's where you come in.

Say the line, hit the choice and you get to have conversations with all those NPCs!

20. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    My buddy was hilarious with his characters in Fallout. He always gives them horrible intellegence and talks like an idiot when he has funny lines. Someone asked him if he knew who the Brotherhood of Steel were, and the intellegence response was "[4/7] I heard they shoot laserbeams from their eyes!"