Something that bothered me about Sam's character...

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Satomiblood, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Sam has never experienced true loss in these movies. The closest Sam has ever come to losing someone significant in his life was in ROTF with Prime's temporary death and Bumblebee nearly being executed by Soundwave in DOTM. The actual deaths of Ironhide, Jazz, and others never really impacted him to the level of a Prime or Bumblebee.

I'm of the opinion that Starscream should've killed Sam's parents. And I don't mean this in a sense of killing them off because they're annoying. This would've added even more significance to their fight.

Come to think of it, not very many human characters have died in these movies (not counting random soldiers and citizens), save for Deep Wang, Colonel Sharp, Fig, that other soldier from the Scorponok attack, and Dylan. And out of that list, only Wang and Dylan are of any actual significance (well, Wang's significance is probably debatable).

Thoughts?

2. Yaujta

Yaujta Not a Bear TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I kind of agree, but does he really need to? He 'died' in RotF, so maybe that was his big emotional experience.

3. HennepinCrawler

HennepinCrawler Virile Young Tabby

Sam came off as a whiny brat in this movie. "Oh wah wah I live in my rich uber hot girlfriend's penthouse and I graduated from an Ivy League school but I still don't have a job that I want! WAAAH!! I wanna fight Decepticons!"

Y'know what? I agree. This film needed human casualties to pack a greater emotional "UMPH!". Sam's parents are perfect for that, though personally I would have celebrated once they met their fiery deaths.

4. Satomiblood

I think that was less of a death in ROTF and more of an alien robot wet dream.

5. RzaSharp

RzaSharp Well-Known Member

I dont necessarily attribute this to Shia, but yeah Sam is an ASS. For someone who has "saved the world" twice, he has no friends. He ditches Miles in TF1, abandons BB in ROTF, Even in college he had 1 friend and that is kind of a forced companionship because its his ROOMMATE. In DOTM Leo most likely split from Sam, as well as Mikaela. Even the bots in DOTM have distanced themselves from him. Hell, even Epps only helps him because of the "murder" of the Autobots, not because he is friends with Sam. Sam even has to ask Epps "Why are you helping me?" I dont have to ask that of my friends, i know why, because they care about me. Not only is the Carly-Sam relationship totally unbelievable, he is not even satisfied that he is with her. Getting/having a job does not make you a good person. It may give you a purpose and an income, but who you are outside of your job is who the real you is. He bosses around and throws tantrums at any Autobot since ROTF. What makes me laugh about him is not the comedic scenes but the way he needlessly yells at Autobots during battles. Example, during the highway chase scene, he is constantly giving orders to bumblebee "We need to protect Sentinel", "Shoot him bee, SHOOT him!" "GO GO hurry up...they (dreads) are catching up to sentinel". You would think BB is blind or has never been in a fight or a chase. IF i was bumblebee i would tell him to shut up, i got this, these are my people and the only reason your even here is cause YOU wanted to be. The list goes on and on. Sam to me, is a reflection of Bay, Totally shallow and selfish. Either through writing or direction. Shia may even be imitating Bay without Bay knowing it.

Side note- The Autobots only sought out Sam because of the glasses (allspark location), not because he is a good kid, down on his luck and feels alone (Elliot from ET).

6. Starscreamownz

Starscreamownz Air Commander

News Credits:
    To your Shia imitating Bay thing. Hes acting like bay because he emulates him like an older brother. Also hes kinda freaked out by the giant robots running 70+ mph up a highway after them. So hes excusable during the highway scene.

7. Hellscream15

Hellscream15 Hi... Bl

I like sam, and id take him over Spike any day, spike always annoyed me.

8. uruseiranma

uruseiranma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What I liked about Sam was when he explains about Megatron in the 2007 film. It reminds me of something many of us did as kids, when we'd give backstory to our parents why we didn't like this character or that character because of various reasons.

9. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Fig actually survived. He was only supposed to die.

10. Satomiblood

There was an extended scene where he actually died. Oh well, my point still stands.

11. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Sam lost Mikela.

BOOM!

But he hit the jackpot with Carly so yeah........well this was pointless.

12. Satomiblood

This thread sucks. Change it.

13. PurpleOptics

PurpleOptics Autobubblicious

I don't give a damn about Sam, his parents, or his problems. Never liked his storyline to begin with. Wow, you don't have a job because you're fresh out of college and have no experience in anything relevant, but you helped save the world. And? I can sympathize to a certain extent, most of us have been there minus the world-saving and I did laugh a little at those job interviews.

Your last girlfriend left you for "someone better". Poor baby. One would think that dying would give a person a bit of insight and self-awareness about themselves and, I don't know... humble them? But it seems to have had the opposite effect for our ladies man. Here is a pet peeve of mine: WHY do you think you deserve for anyone to love you for you when it's clear you only consider dating someone who is "hot"? For the sake of going with what was thrown at us in DOTM, suppose Mikaela really did move on. I think she did it because of Sam showing himself to be too needy; flashback to their conversation in ROTF, about his box of souveniers and her reaction. He wants someone to exalt him for his role in saving the world, someone to KISS HIS ASS on a continual basis. Someone who needs him to save them and be the "hero". Enter Carly. Thin, blond hair, I have deja-vu. Make of it what you will, but I don't think it's a coincidence.

It occurred to me at home a day after watching the movie... he is kind of a spaz. I don't use this word often but looked up the definition to make sure it applied and I think it does, especially that scene when he rolls up to what-is-that-building-called? in his yellow jalopy and demands to see the Autobots, but is held up at the gate. Then he starts screaming for Bumblebee. "You're paying for my car... *pause* you don't think so?" Lol, but still spaz-tastic. And word to what RzaSharp said above.

14. Amaya

Amaya Well-Known Member

The only thing that really bothers me about his character is that he's very self-conscious (despite his luck) and that makes him act like a douche at times. PurpleOptics is right in that he feels like he needs to be a hero, to matter. It's only until something big happens like Optimus dying that he finally realizes the seriousness of the situation and gets his ass in gear.

I dunno, maybe it's the writer's fault. He goes from caring to "get away from me! I just want a normal life!" in ROTF, and then caring to "wait, where are you going? Come back!" in DOTM.

15. Brink

Brink Well-Known Member

The thing that bothers me about him is that he doesn't respect Wheelie and Brains!!! He makes them sleep outside, at least have them sleep in the living room, or build like a dog house type thing for them!!! I would do that for them!!

16. megatron6661

megatron6661 Well-Known Member

Yea exactly, it was like losing a porsche, and gaining a ferrari, not a bad replacement

17. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Sam was pretty much wedged into the plot of DOTM because he's the star. Otherwise, he was an entirely pointless character. Hopefully, with Shia gone, they simply insert Lennox as the main human protagonist, and rid the franchise of the needless teenage angst and give a main character that actually contributes something of worth to the story.

18. OrionsBelt

OrionsBelt Well-Known Member

I would love this, but you know damn well that Hasbro will probably complain that there isn't a youth stereo type for the children who buy all of the toys to relate to.

However, if it was up to me, I would push the forth movie a little into the future, and have Elle Fanning (she was great in Super 8)play Lennox's daughter. Maybe stick someone in there to play one of Epp's kids (Will Smith's son Jaden might work). Then it would be a damn good reason to stick Epps and Lennox in the script now that their kids are in danger.

19. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    what bothered me was the screaming and temper tantrums. I think it's supposed to be comedic, but it's more scary than funny.

I would not be comfortable around someone like that. Dude needs to chill out.

20. Grimlock King

Grimlock King GRRRrrr me hate titles

Ebay:
    I agree!