Something that bothered me about Bumblebee.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by kenm2474, Jul 6, 2011.

1. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

I noticed this and it kind of bugged me was that he was a shiny brand new car but when he transformed he had dents and scratches all over his body. It was just odd how it happened is all. You saw the front part of the hood of the car and it was all shiny and new looking then he transformed and all of a sudden it was all scratched up and dented.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  2. MikeDiaz

MikeDiaz Well-Known Member

Bee can toggle exterior damage on and off :) 

3. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm pretty sure they just recycled alt models from the other movies. That would explain it for me. I don't have evidence as such but I don't see why they wouldn't to save money.

4. Bottom Out

Bottom Out Well-Known Member

the grundgy look translate to a more realistic depiction of the characters which is why they go that route. if you absolutely need an explanation just go with the metal stressing when it moves causing cracks and chips

5. DecepticonsRule

DecepticonsRule Triple-Changer

News Credits:
    People have been talking about this since TF1.

I think it's generally an assumed theory that when the robots are in alternate mode, there is some sort of "sheen" or hologram that coats the car vehicle, making it appear perfect. When they transform into robot mode, the sheen comes off, as it is no longer needed. Keep in mind, many of the Autobots scan these cars when they're in showroom condition, so the alternate mode SHOULDN'T have any scratches or dents in them, and that's part of the disguise.
    Remember when Bumblebee was the '76 Camaro, his exterior was beaten up, because that's what helped the him blend in best. If his '76 Camaro mode was sparkling brand new, it would attract more attention. It works the other way around too, a beaten up, dirty Corvette Centennial Stingray, it would look pretty suspicious.

My point being, I'm sure the Transformers have many ways of camouflaging their alternate modes.

6. The F.N.G.

The F.N.G. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's the theory I go with. If they can create holographic drivers, I'm sure they can also create a holographic paintjob to make their alt-mode look great.

7. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Why I agree with the sentient, the flip side is that if Autobots were truly concerned with disguising themselves, then they wouldn't have picked such flashy alternate modes to begin with. I mean, a lone brand new Camaro is going to attract some attention regardless, but add a hummer ambulance, the latest corvette, a suped-up pick-up truck, and a semi with a flame paint-job...well, that ain't exactly hiding lol.

8. BMGFX

BMGFX Awesome Spooner Veteran

I don't even think the whole holo-paint explanation is needed. I think it's more of the fact that a clean shiny car turning into a clean shiny cgi robot would make the robots stand out poorly in the environments they were in, regardless of how realistic it was. It would immediately register as being fake, so I would consider all of the dirt and scratches to be an exaggeration of sorts to make a 3d robot look more like it belongs in the scene.

On the flip side, the companies who have their cars in the movies most likely wouldn't want their spotlight products to be shown with dents, scratches, and cracks on them. :) 

9. Sonicpower451

Sonicpower451 Well-Known Member

Another thing, I'm pretty sure everybody in the world probably knows who the Transformers are and their disguises. So, transforming would probably be pointless if their trying to blend in. Instead, it could be only used for extra speed.

10. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Yeah, I mean a bright, dentless, perfect-looking Bumblebee standing around in a much more muted, realistic cityscape or battlefield will make him stand out in a bad way. A very "that's obviously fake" way.

11. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I think they should be able to make the robot look realistic without resorting to cheats like this, which I don't think it even helps as much as people seem to believe.

Though one thing I'd like to see in a transformers movie is a battle-damaged bot transforming into a messed-up vehicle mode with misaligned parts. I'd just like to see what that would look like.

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    It's so that they don't look fake. It's a technical thing. That's like saying "why is everyone's teeth so white?" So they look better.

13. The Madness

The Madness News Credits: -13

Regardless of in-movie explanations; as BGMFX said, no car company wants their products looking worn and damaged, regardless of the beating it receives. I think it is easily forgivable considering it is probably contractual.

Meanwhile, ILM wants to dirtmap and weather as much as possible to add a degree of faux realism to their models.

Neither side can really compromise, from a production standpoint.