something my dad said..

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by luke4, Aug 27, 2008.

1. AutobotMarine

AutobotMarine Banned

Ebay:
    Indeed.

2. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

KB's on it, doggone it.

Mom trashed my Castle Greyskull AND Castle Skeletor when I was a young'n. I got over it. If I wanted 'em today, I could buy 'em again, probably in better shape than mine were, 'cause I focused on important stuff first.

3. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
    Crack

4. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    Me too, coz I do drink a lot and take drugs. So I'm not sure what to use instead.

Maybe 'At least I'm not a male prostitute'? But then, who knows what tomorrow brings?

5. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    ay gotta tell him Transformers are a hobby..it for fun.

6. Astrotrain52

Astrotrain52 Banned

News Credits:
    This is a really good piece of advice. Bolded paragraphs are really really good. I'm 15, I still collect them, not as extreme as some people, but a mild collector. I tell my parents all the time "Would you rather me out on the streets an night doing drugs, getting drunk, and hurting myself?" There are much, much, much more dangerous things that can happen at this critical point in your life.

It's a shame of what people expect from kids and other people in today's age. You can only expect so much from a child in any day and age. Or just people in general, everyone can only do so much until they reach their breaking point.

Anyways, I'm getting somewhat off topic. Still, despite your dad not being the kind who will sit down, talk, and listen (emphasize listen), you and your father need to talk. Trust me, it's the only way you two can compromise or come to some sort of understanding. As a teen, even though a young teen, you need to make choices for yourself, your dad can't push you around all the time, stand up for what you want, but don't be arrogant and quick-tempered about it.

7. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    You forgot that Collectors are also paedophiles.

8. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't know who Stan Smith is but I agree.

Good luck, I really hope your father won't force you to literally rid of your toys. Tell him they'll worth x10 in 5 years time.

9. luke4

luke4 crocon

thanks. i was waiting for somthing like this.
    its not just my dad i cant talk to its my whole family. we are all do get emotional around me kind of people. my girl friend dumped me this monday and no1 knows about it other then the people she told and my bestfriend. im just gonna let them find out on there own.

anyway i told my mom what my dad said and she just shrugged, my brother was like wtf and my dad hasnt said anything else. and he didnt say anything when i came in the door yesterday after coming home from the comic book store, so i dont no.

ill end up asking him when we are alone.

10. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    If worse comes to worse and he truly demands them gone, just pack them up and put them somewhere safe, so he doesn't take matters into his own hands and gets rid of them for you.

You'll be happy when you can pull them out in a couple years and enjoy them again.

11. Max-prime

Max-prime Supreme-Commander

News Credits:
    Drugs or Transformers ask him to choose lol ... really though just tell him its a hobby and show that you got your head on straight.

12. Omega Charge

Omega Charge CHARGE ON

News Credits:
    You're a lot like me.:) 

I love AnimatedFans advice, it should really help. My dad has talked to me more than once about it. He's never threatened to take them all away, but he's already advised me to stop collecting. He says too much money goes into it and they take up too of my life. I always dream of going off to college and taking them with me when I start my life alone, but I have a long line of siblings, who knows what will happen in the next few years?

It is good to talk to your parents, even if you're afraid. If you get something positive out of it, you'll feel a lot better.

Good luck!

13. Astrotrain52

Astrotrain52 Banned

News Credits:
    If worse does come to worse, pack all of them away except for the ones you really really like. Keep the latter ones in a safe place.

My dad used to really hate it. We've only gotten into 1 big argument, but that was months ago. Nowadays, he'll occasionally joke around. He's mentioned it to a friend of his, and his friend said "It's passion". Plus 1 for me.

As long as I watch my spending and save some of my money, my mom doesn't mind it too much. My brother is another story. He calls them "baby toys". On vacations, he yells, "Hey, there's a Walmart, let's buy Transformers!" followed by me, my mom, and my dad saying "shut up" at the same time.

14. Velcrohead

Velcrohead Banned

Like I said, hide them. They don't see 'em, they don't have to know.

15. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is funny because I always played with Star Wars and Transformers. My Mom always was real cool about it..Back in 86 I remember I taped the Arieal-Bot commercial and played it for my mom..She got them for me at XMAS.
    Anyway now that I’m 36 and my basement if full of toys..2 kids of my own, my parents when they stop bye always LOVE to look at the collection. I usually can't wait to show them new stuff I got from when I was young.

Sorry about your Pop, just tell them maybe one day there be worth some money 
    Or tell him they keep you using your imagination. Don’t pack’em away.

16. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    sounds like your cliche twat of a dad, i have one of those cool dads who likes the fun nerdy stuff too. When i go and visit my rents he enjoys it when i bring a new superman comic he was after with me.

seriously who really needs one of them dads who is a prick, simply because he didnt get blown enough by your mother meaning he wont spend the time to listen to his kid or just relax

if he takes your stuff just be a brat and tell someone he touched you in your private place, give him a legit reason to be do silly things and worry. (joke, dont do that)

17. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    do this...my dad did the same thing to me when i was about 13 or 14 (27 now) and one day, he just asked me to box up all my toys...we moved alot (military), so i didnt think much of it...a few days later, the boxes were gone, and i was too old for toys...after that, i wised up and started hiding my favorites, so that the next time he came in, i boxed up crap i didnt want anymore...its a pretty crappy deal, but its better then nothing...and i'd try to talk to your dad first...i wish i had, though he probably wouldnt have listened, he still isnt a fan of me buying toys now...but whatever...good luck man...

18. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    THREAD OVER.

AnimatedFan wins.

19. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

My advice can't be better than AnimatedFan so I say follow his advice. Period. I am going to be a cool nerdy dad to my kid, as long he does well in school, don't do drugs or any bad things, and don't overspend on toys (save some for college for example) then I wholeheartedly approve of his collection.

20. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

Powerlinx Kupp (I believe that's how it's spelled) has this quote in his sig:

Too many of us are ready to grow old, which is ridiculous. Life will do that for us naturally, no need to suffer through this life when we could be enjoying it.

There's nothing wrong with planning ahead, but there's no need to finish writing the story of your life before you've even had a chance to live it.