Something ive learned about collecting:

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Tarngold, Nov 4, 2006.

1. Tarngold

Tarngold Knight of Braves<br><font COLOR=limegreen>G Stoned

News Credits:
    First off id like to say that this is NOT a shameless plug about my collection sale, but about an insight ive had.

Well, as some of you know im liquidating most of my collection, but ive never discussed the reason WHY im doing it. Brave fans never asked it, but ooed and awed at the fact that im giving up some prime stuff(well, not exactly).

I guess i just looked at everything i have and said to myself "Do i really need this?".

My collection had some quality to it. The G1 combiners, the Brave pieces that were hard to come by, but really, i just got tired of it all, and thought about what i really wanted. Theres too much quantity right now.

I guess the move out of my parents place more than a year ago had alot to do with it. I didnt want to feel tied down, and my collection was just sitting there at my parents place. At the time i had a firm interest in the Galaxy Force series and that enticed me to get a few pieces that i liked from it. Later on when i broke up with my Ex and moved out of her place and back into my parents, i had to throw out the boxes to all the stuff i had bought while i was living with her, which was just the Cybertron stuff and Alternator Tracks box as well.

That got me thinking of what really matters. I didnt feel fufilled with these or my other pieces in my collection. The only things that brought me the most pleasure were pieces that were Iconic in my collecting, such as Landmine for his character in Galaxy Force, or Zoids Elephander for being the first Zoids model i put together since the old days when they had Techno Zoids commercials.

So i decided that i want at least a few figures that represent each genre of mecha that i enjoy. Im now on a quest to fufill that by seeking out Masterpiece Convoy(w/out trailer) as my one transformer figure, and maybe a few Binaltech guys because they look cool and have Diecast. Mirage will be my first i hope

Zoids already has Elephander, but i want Liger Zero for customization. That means all the extra kits and bloc zoids that will connect with him(Schneider, Jager and Panzer parts kits as well as the Jet Falcon, Pheonix and Dispellow blox zoids, and if possible the Imperial X parts.....i may need 2 Liger Zero's hehe). Id want custom parts like the one that goes on cannon Tortise(CP-05 Heavy Beam Cannon Unit, and the Attack Unit), and the one that goes on Elephander(CP-15 Assault Gattling Unit). Other zoids id want would be ones that catch my eye like the Beserk Furher, Gunbluster, Liger Zero X(if the CAS is not available seperately), and maybe MAYBE Seismosaurus, but hes really big. Ill want to get all my Zoids kits new so i can put them together myself!!!

And last id want a Super Robot catagory, with figures from Soul of Chogokin, and a couple from Brave . The choices for SOC are Voltres V, Dancougar, Gunbuster, or Daiku Maryu Gaiking(unless they come out with a version from the new show with Raiking and Vulking that allows for Gaiking the Great combination). The choices from Brave arent determined yet. It depends on the recent release figures, but im liking the Masterpiece stuff and may wait for what will show up(though i may want that Great Baan Gaan one that is coming out).

So, to end i feel like ive evolved as a collector, and now i know what i really want, and to those who have said items and are willing, LMK!!! XD

But seriously though, who here has had a similar experience?

2. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think it's healthy to re-evaluate your collecting occasionally, and determine if you even have the desire to carry on with it anymore. I had every SW figure from 1977-Ep1, carded. When the Ep2 figs came out, I realized it had become an obligation. I didn't even like them anymore and I was spending money on new ones. Time to get out. Star Wars collection - liquidated.

After I completed my TF collection (every figure from 1984 through now, sans lucky draws), I realized I was still enjoying it, so I moved on to Braves. After getting every DX Brave, I moved onto the STD Braves. Then I rounded out a full set of Web Diver. Now I'm slowing down again, mostly because I just don't want to start anything new. I still find collecting very satisfying, just taking a breather. When the time comes that I don't care about them anymore or have another shift in priorities, out they'll go.

Collecting should provide a relief from daily stresses, not BE one of them. I think it's great you've decided what you'd like to focus on.

3. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    If you're looking for a die cast Mirage, you're gonna be out of luck. So far he's only available in plastic, and it doesn't look like that's gonna change anytime soon.

As for getting rid of my collection, there have been times where I've thought of streamlining and simplifying it. But when I try and think of figures I'd be willing to part with, I can't really go through with it. What I can do, though, is prevent myself from buying more stuff. Like, I got into GI Joe at one point and had these plans to buy so much stuff, but then I realized I didnt like them that much, and so I just stopped where I was.

4. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

i'm liquidating alot of my stuff as well. ALOT!

5. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I am in a same boat as you. Starting tomorrow or early next week I am gonna clean out my closet and putting all the TFs and other misc toys aside that I don't really like and start liquidating them. Like you I want to collect the stuff I really want and due to me recently married and the need to downsize my collection I've been wanting to do this for quite some time. Unfortunately I still buy a lot of toys when I go to stores but I hope these are the ones I'll be keeping for a long time. I want to count the number of toys I have and see if I can get rid of 1/4 of them. Gonna be tough but even a few dozens is a good start. I may have to sell those Gundam models that I never gonna start on too. It's going to be a tedious task but it's better than doing nothing at all.

6. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

I keep warping around man, can't contol the urges so Im like a constant 2lane highway of selling & buying now.
    There's always something new that intorduces me to new addictive buying habits.

Lately it seems to be that Hasbro's making things so cool, that Im buying extras to paint. Macross has totally blew my mind with so many new jet types. Brave has thrown it in gear with superb remakes/rereleases. Gundam's Mastergrade line always taunts me. GI Joe's Sigma 6's are pulling me in. Marvel knows I'll buy the crappiest figure for a freaking bodypart for a larger figure. Star Wars know's Im a sucker for that pretty packaging of the same damn toy I already bought 10 times already. Those Chogokin and Zoids sure look nice. Takara has a Binaltech Rodimus that I wan't , but I have to pay extra so I can kiss play,

That's about It I think, which Is why I'll never escape it, but I need to sell some Lego's so I can get a bigger house and have more room to buy more Legos.

I'll probably keep evolving until I can eventually get a museum to display them all. (dream) Or the one's that survived , TF's mostly.
    Then plug the hell out of it, and sell them when Im old and let the money go to my kid(s). Then Prime would be a deeper meaning for me and I would know it was'nt just a bunch of wasted time & money over the years being a collector

7. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Check out the "Gaiking Neo Products" story at www.zincpanic.com. There's nothing confirmed as yet, but you might just get your wish on Gaiking the Great.

I've not hit the point yet where I reevaluate my collecting, but I am slowing down a little. I'm getting Classics, undecided about what comes after that. I'm not hunting down the old ones as much, not as concerned about odd ones here and there, mostly I'm just happy with what I have. I doubt I'd want to part with any of them, but it is easy to say that right now since I've not moved out yet or got half the commitments you guys do.

Other than that, I agree with ams. (Whole collection of G1? WOW!)

8. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm also in the same boat...over the years I have been buying stuff from various product lines - TFs, Gundams, ML, DC Direct, Zoids...it has come to a point where I'm beginning to feel that many of my collection doesn't give me the sense of satisfaction that it has...so lately I have selling off most of my stuff. Example, ML, extra pieces of TFs.

For now, TF classics and ressiues will be the only TF series I will be collecting...whatever, Hasbro releases for its main line I will skip unless its a G1 homage...I'm not anti-new but its because I have too much stuff.

9. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I always rethink why I devote so much time and money to collecting, and I realize it isn't necessary, but I continue because I enjoy it, it's a worthwhile hobby to me, and I'm kind of shocked to see how many people can so easily sell away all their stuff. It's so common here. I guess maybe my "connection" with all my shit is still too strong to really understand the need to let it go, I'm not sure, but like I said, I definitely understand that it's far from essential and I know I could get on fine without collecting, but I simply enjoy it too much to give it up.

10. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

I recently liquidated 80% of my collection, part of which consisted of every TF toy (except Reflector, Trypticon, and Powerdasher Jet and Car) from 1984-1986. I loved my collection, but I eventually came to an epiphany; My wife and I live in a small apartment and we don't have a lot of room. Recently our whole building was drilled for termites, and since we live on the bottom floor, it became necessary to move everything 2 feet away from the walls so that the exterminator could drill around the perimiter of each room. During the move, I was annoyed at how many toys I had to move--I had well over 1200 Transformers. I loved them, but there were just too many. Many of them I hardly ever touched or even looked at since they were in big plastic totes. It got me to thinking, "Why do I need all this stuff?" There was only a few (by comparison) that I wanted to keep, but by now I was also feeling another burden--finances. Due to a banking snafu back in April, I had fallen 1 car payment behind. I hadn't gotten any threats of reposession yet, but I didn't want it to come to that. My workplace isn't allowing much, if any, overtime lately so I couldn't just work for some extra money. I looked at the toys again and decided right then that it was time to choose which ones stay and which ones go.

I now still have a very respectable collection, numbering just over the 200 mark and mostly G1s. I'm much happier as I don't have every room cluttered with TFs and none are "hidden" away in some corner in a plastic tote. I restarted my collecting again, but I'm not going at breakneck pace like I was before. I've got a goal and once I'll reach it, I'll probably just stop. I'll get all the Classics (save Mini-Cons, which I HATE), G1s that I really loved, and may wind up having all from 1984-86 show characters eventually. I don't want to get overrun again with toys, plus financially I don't want to continue to drain. I want a house, and I want another car. My income won't allow me to do both (collect and get a house/car). Right now, I'll collect while things are good, but there will eventually be an end to it all, there has to. I'll always be a fan, that won't change. There may even be a figure or two down the road that just screams DON'T PASS ME UP, and I may bite. Done doesn't mean "cold turkey", but it does mean a cessation of normal collecting habits.

11. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I kind of wish I were at that point. I have so many figures, but I love them all. And I love getting new ones. I just don't know if I feel like displaying everything again now since it's all packed up. On the bright side, I don't really care about getting the rest of G1 at this point. The figures I still need are all well over $100 each (japanese stuff) and except for Shuffler, I'm just not willing to pay that much for an old brick anymore.

12. Tarngold

Tarngold Knight of Braves<br><font COLOR=limegreen>G Stoned

News Credits:
    I dont even think i could call my eventual aquisitions collecting with the way you guys are talking. Im not even going for complete sets, and im being so choosy that ill always have plenty of space to pack them away or to display them in all their glory. After i get those, im done, its that simple, and for the first time i feel no stress about it. Especially since i went on ebay and evaluated how much its going to cost me.

13. Backpack

Backpack Scattershot who?

I went through a liquidation period when I was 20 (or so) selling off my nearly complete TF collection from childhood. In 2000 I started over again. This time paying those hefty prices we are all familiar with. So, when I started down this path again I made a decision, never to sell anything I cared enough for to buy; ever again. So, if I get tired of something; I just pack it away. I know that someday I will want it again. When that day comes, all I will have to do is dig it out.

14. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Man, I can really identity some of the things you guys posted. Originally, I had no intention of selling my stuff and have only started doing so only this year. On hindsight, the problem with me was that I would buy almost toy that looked "cool" i.e. good sculpt & design with a decent amount of articulation.

I know that some of the stuff I've sold will be extremely expensive to get back but I have to get rid of them because my room is fast resembling a store room - no joke. The worse part is that I have been so busy with work that I rarely have time to open some of my stuff. The sweet irony of it all, yeah? Example, my Yamato valks, DC Direct figures etc.

And yeah, I feel sad each time I sell my stuff...:( 

15. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

I keep thinking about selling parts of my collection. Only problem is that the stuff I would sell probably wouldn't get bought. I love my G1, it's what I grew up with. So those would all definately stay. I'd also keep RID which was my favorite line. Some BW would go, some BM. I'd probably sell all of Armada except a few key pieces (Powerlinx Prime because my wife gave it to me our first x-mas). Most of energon would most likely go. The newer stuff just would leave and I'd be stuck with it anyway. So I never get around to clearing out.

I have stopped buying anything other than MLs and TFs now though. I have a few random things lying around and always wonder why I got it.

16. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I base my collecting off my priorities and how much I would kick myself if I sold some of them. Its a tough balancing act, but priorities would always win.

I have an ok collection, mostly G1 and Alternators and they are all on display. I don't keep stuff in boxes usually. If I had some sealed G1 stuff, I would keep them in boxes, but I don't. I was 5 years old at the time and wanted to play with my transformers, not keep them in the box.

Now something I do have a large collection of that are sealed in their boxes is a huge collection of Spider-man toys from the Animated series. I have boxes of them in my basement.... just sitting there, annoying me because I don't want them anymore. I need to sell them because all they are doing is just wasting space. I haven't yet because my priorites have not hit yet; i.e. providing for my family has not become a problem, when it does, out they go.

17. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

I'm not nearly at the level of collecting that many on here and in this htread are, and I am even thinking about getting rid of some TFs. I just don't know if they'd sell. My focus is on Autobot Alternators myself, with a random fig here & there to go with that collection (Classics Bumblebee, Cybertron Lugnutz (gotta change his allegience still)). I've also been getting the Kiss Players (hold off on the stone throwing)

But before I got into Alternators, I was buying the TRU reissues, which I now see no purpose in keeping. Never completed the collection and all are opened except Optimus and I'm now thinking of selling them all off.

I was going crazy with the Star Wars Lego sets for a while and had bought practically every set at one point. That too started to become less enjoyable, but I doubt I'll ever sell off Legos. Those can always be reused eventually to build other creations.

18. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    My TF collection is also part of my own history. I can remember times and places when Transformers were bought. Were I to sell this someday, it would like giving up part of myself. At least my collecting never felt like an obligation. Also I've gotten to the point where if I don't like something, I don't feel bad about not acquiring it. I think Tak-Tom's MP Starscream was a let down on many levels, and Kiss Play is also questionable. TF Snow Globes? Silly IMHO. Also, I've just about had it with statues too. Still, there's a lot left to like, The Classics, Titaniums, Alternators, etc.

19. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I've recently decided to sell a large chunk of my collection, if not all of it eventually. It's been a priorities thing. I love TFs, but there are other things I want to buy ( like a big screen TV, new computer, newer car, etc. ). I can't afford to keep collecting and also save up the kind of money it would take to buy the other toys. So I've decided to sell alot of them to get rid of the temptation to buy more. If I don't miss them, I may sell them all and just be done with it.

20. jedi prime1

jedi prime1 Well-Known Member

Once and a while(basicly at the tail end of a line) it feels like a obsession to complete a line(think energon combiners and how hard it was to find them. I'm not a completest, I had a firm No repaints rule except if I didn't have the oringinol version. I broke that with the energon combiners for obvious reasons. with cyberton I broke that rule by getting all but 2 basics and all but 3 repaints. I have a new rule, no repains above delux lexel I still won't buy a repaint if I don't like itI reacently got out of alts(except prime) becuse i was buying them just to buy them.