Something I'm surprised TFP didn't do

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Rexidus, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ever since it started there is something that I have found unexpected from this series. This show is owned and created by Hasbro. Hasbro knew they would be making figures of this series.

So I find it odd that they cheat during transformation. You don't get a semi clear sense of how the bots physically change. Animated for example clearly defined how each bot transformed. I like that. Not only does it make designing a toy easier, or least it seems it would, but it just makes the transformation more fluid to me. If they explode then reassemble it seems slightly more of a forced ability. I'm weird I guess.

2. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    I think its a conceit of the technology they're working with, a compromise that needs to be made. Beast Wars and Beast Machines did it and the models looked like actual characters for it. Energon and Cybertron on the other hand were more faithful to the toy designs and as such... looked like a bunch of toys running around for 20 minutes. Energon Ironhide is probably the biggest offender.

If the animators have to cheat to make a believable character model that can exist in and interact with the space around it -- I can live with that.

3. Flashdisk

Flashdisk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Considering we have less than 24 minutes per episode. I'd rather they not focus on stock footage, but instead focus on the story.

The animation for transforming would just take too much time, if done over and over again per episode. Not to mention it would take time from the production.

4. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm not claiming I want a 30 second long detailed extreme closeup of the transformation sequence. I would have just suspected they would have made the transformations more physical.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Probably to avoid the characters looking like giant walking toys ala Energon/Cybertron.

6. Snark

Snark Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It seems like it was an active choice on Hasbros' part not to use more detailed transformations.

I remember when they first released that early teaser of Prime, with Bee transforming and punching a Vehicon, his transformation was much more movie like. When the same scene happened in Darkness Rising I, Bee's transformation was much more simplistic.

7. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What was the timing of release for toys and airing times of previous Transformer toys and shows?

SDCC has sown us both finished and unfinished toys, lots of them. Transformers Prime obviously started animation a long time ago, how long ago is something I’m not privy to; however, I’m guessing clear transformation animation isn’t shown because the models given weren’t finalized versions of the toys themselves, though like someone else already said, maybe they wanted to focus on other matters rather than transformation—we’re talking a lot of man hours here for a few more detailed seconds of animation.

I doubt it was Hasbro’s call, but those actually making the show.

8. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I noticed it too. When the transformations happened in Beast Wars, despite the crude animation, you at least got a clear sense of what went where. Beast Wars' transformations had plenty of cheating, too (Dinobot and T-Rex Megatron, anyone?), but the transformations were every bit as quick as Prime and you could tell that Dinobot's hands were the Raptor feet, the chest was the raptor head, etc.

With Transformers Prime, the transformations don't give you a clear sense of what goes where. When I feel like watching the transformations frame by frame, it's pretty clear that the CGI model exists for the vehicle mode and the robot mode, but transformation is really a quick meaningless series of moving parts as the CGI artists switch out the car and replace it with a robot.

9. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I noticed it too. When the transformations happened in Beast Wars, despite the crude animation, you at least got a clear sense of what went where. Beast Wars' transformations had plenty of cheating, too (Dinobot and T-Rex Megatron, anyone?), but the transformations were every bit as quick as Prime and you could tell that Dinobot's hands were the Raptor feet, the chest was the raptor head, etc.

With Transformers Prime, the transformations don't give you a clear sense of what goes where. When I feel like watching the transformations frame by frame, it's pretty clear that the CGI model exists for the vehicle mode and the robot mode, but transformation is really a quick meaningless series of moving parts as the CGI artists switch out the car and replace it with a robot.

10. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

Actually, according to the production team, each character has three models: One for their robot mode, other for their alt-mode, and ANOTHER for the mid-transformation.

11. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Isn't there also one for battle damage?

12. Kostya

Kostya Destron

News Credits:
    That's just a tweaking of their bot mode though. It's not another model all by itself.

13. rattimus prime

rattimus prime Scout Class Prime

they do it to hide the mass shifting, and since arcee has the most notable size change, i notice she usually jumps away from or into the camera.

14. jackDarcee

jackDarcee Arcee lover

Good post. I remember as a kid pausing my parents old beta vcr and the using slow mo to watch the G1 bots transform. Loved that.