Something I thought of to get around my own perfectionism

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by OOSnake, Jan 23, 2012.

1. OOSnake

OOSnake Well-Known Member

So, people complain about things like turning a transformer in alt. mode and being able to see robot parts? I used to hate this, then I thought of something. The robots in Disguise. Disguise like comouflage, right? Just becuase you've camouflaged yourself, doesn't mean you'd become that, right? Wouldn't the same thing apply to transformers? Don't know if this really makes sense, just something I thought of to 'get around my won perfectionism'

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I think the presumption is that the Transformers in their universes transform in a more complex manner than their toys, thus their robot parts are effectively invisible and they are more or less indistinguishable from a normal car. The toys are grossly simplified compared to the technology and complexity of the Transformers they emulate.

3. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, you are correct on all accounts.

Looking through a transformers' "eyes" they probably see something different.

4. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

This is pretty much it. As the tech improves, maybe we'll see toys with less robot parts hanging off it. But for now I don't think there's much of a possibility.

5. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    I imagine the toys would be pretty damn hard to distinguish from the real thing if they were life size.

6. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That is more or less my view of how they should be. I've always thought of Transformers disguises somewhat like costumes. Outwardly, they just look like what they're mimicking - they don't actually become it. That's why, in my personal version of the fiction, very few of their Earth disguises can accommodate human passengers. No opening hoods, no engines and certainly no fabric seats, rubber steering wheels, seat belts, etc. to be found inside.

7. OOSnake

OOSnake Well-Known Member

Exactly! They're only mimicking the vehicles. SLightly related, what about Cybertronian vehicles? Do they even ccount as disguises?

8. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    While not functioning exactly like their disguises I'd imagine Transformers would get as close to as visually identical as they can, especially in the areas those that need to be fooled need to be fooled (i.e. a driver needs to believe the seats, dashboard, and engine are real, even if they don't actually function). If a disguise can't keep you hidden under the most basic of searches, then that's a crap disguise.

Depends if Transformers use non-Transformer vehicles on Cybertron

9. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

In G1, Soundwave turned into a sort of lamp post that looked like all the other lamp posts on that bridge, so that was a disguise.

10. SuperJazz

SuperJazz Dictator of my Dimension

Yeah you try to design a toy that exactly mimics the transformation of an autonomous robotic organism from Cybertron. It's a little hard so give the toy engineers a break.

11. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not in my opinion. Maybe when Transformers first became Transformers, there was a bit of cloak & dagger to it, but generally I feel that their alt modes on Cybertron were more for functionality than disguise. I like to think the disguise side of things is/was only relevant when they landed on Earth, but back home, they all knew exactly who was who regardless of what mode they were in.

12. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Agreed. I'm okay with either choices (no interior OR real interior). Their transformations make more sense without things like seats, steering wheels, dashboards, etc., but it's one of those 'cheats' that I just sort of accept. Especially in the movies where human characters (for story or convenience sakes) ride inside the alt modes.

On Cybertron? Not so much as "disguises", but merely convenient alternate modes for transportation. The whole "disguise" thing moreso comes into play once they get to Earth (be it G1, BW, RID, Armada, Bayformers, etc.) in which they actually do have to blend in.