Something I realized about Animated

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by AniProwl, May 25, 2011.

1. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    Is it me or were the writers kind of "rude" to the characters that are homages to G1 Season 3 Autibots.

Let's see...
    Arce became an Amnesic Damsel in Distress
    Blurr got squished
    Ultra Magnus was put in a coma
    Rodimus was affected by Cosmic Rust.

Wreck-Gar was the only one spared and Perceptor was introduced in Season 2 of G1.

Thank goodness Springer didn't show up or else who knows what might've happened.

Did the writers of the show have something against G1 Season 3?

2. Apoclatron5675

Apoclatron5675 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Maybe... it does seem odd now that i think about it but rodimus and arcee survived,magnus I'm not so sure but poor Blurr :( 

3. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    Blurr was supposed to come back-so not a diss in my eyes. i think its just the way everything worked out.

4. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    Not at all, the creators love the cartoon, Derrick Wyatt in particular prefers all of the cartoon to the comics. I think it was love for these characters that put them in such prominent story positions.
    The only Autobot that actually died was Prowl, and he is so different to his G1 incarnation as to be untrue. Blurr survived, we just didn't get to see the pay off. Same with Magnus and Hot-Rod, they all had character arcs and a strong narrative. Sigh, the series was taken from us so young.

5. tehKOREANdude

tehKOREANdude inimitable, original

News Credits:
    i don't remember ever hearing about that

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    No.

If anything the unfortunate fates of the characters were because they built them up too much. They made Ultra Magnus the Autobot supreme commander. Unfortunately the plot demanded that the supreme commander get bumped off to allow for the Sentinel-as-leader plot. Blurr was fast and determined, however the position they put him in would eventually demand he die for effect and for the plot. Rodimus was awesome, but, well, you get the idea.

The only exception is Arcee, but I think that's just the way the story changed. They actually painted her as a noble and selfless individual. Volunteering to have her brain wiped for the greater good.

7. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Animated was always good at the comic-superhero style of "no one's truly gone unless it's shown in a totally unambiguous manner - and even then don't be TOO sure." Blurr falls under the 'dead because the show's over' category, though there were the potential outs of the Blurr-cube not turning gray, and/or a spark being partially visible in control artwork. The Allspark Almanac says Ultra Magnus was supposed to die for Season 4, but maybe once made to hypothetical air that just meant he wasn't expected to recover and got dumped in storage until the plot needed him - like Arcee. (personally, I thought that since Optimus brought a reconstituted Allspark back to Cybertron at the end of the episode/season/series, the first course of action would be "run that thing over to Ultra Magnus ASAP!" )

If the Almanac is to be believed, Rodimus recovered, and Arcee goes back to her old teaching job, (teaching Sari this time)

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  8. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Arcee got turned into a secretary in headmasters, it's certainly not much worse than that.

9. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

Hmm. I would think it's "rude" if those characters were portrayed disrespectfully. For example, I consider ROTF Skids a "rude," disrespectful abomination. An insulting update to any previous version of a character named Skids. However, the Animated versions of these G1 S3 characters were completely true to (at least) the G1 version we may love. These characters may have suffered bad fates, but it made for GREAT storytelling. I was not disappointed at all by the way these characters were portrayed, I just wish we got to see MORE of them.

10. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    When is Hasbro going to release season 3 of Animated on DVD?

Just kidding :D  ... :horse:  Had to just throw that in there ...

Ok, serious, to answer your question no. I think it was just the way the plot was running and of course a lot had to have been left out due to it ending so young. Season 4 was full of potential ... damn.

11. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    gezz that is sooo true kinda scary though and cycolonus didnt last to long ether did he a once off appearance i think

12. Greyley

Greyley Well-Known Member

I think the bad fates for some of them had more to do with the fact that they were fairly minor characters, and minor characters are more likely to be killed or put on a bus than the main cast. As others have said, if the story had been able to continue on to season 4, it's likely that we could have had "dead" characters return, seen Arcee become a deeper character, etc.

Animated homaged G1 way more than it needed to, since the core audience of children aren't going to recognize references to older series anyway. The producers even went to the effort of getting the original voice actors for Shockwave, Blurr and Rodimus, which was a nice touch.

13. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    If anything, it's because these characters were secondary, not part of the main cast. Animated had a severe shift in tone (while thankfully not losing anything people loved about it) in season 3, and doing that required doing some mean things to some characters. The show became stronger for it. Blurr's cube adventure (which he was supposed to have lived through, meaning he felt ALL of it), with his trip to the incinerator at an ally's hands afterwards, and Shockwave's utter domination of Ultra Magnus left no room for anyone who watched the show to ever call it "kiddy" again.

14. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    What about using G1 clips as "history grams" Now that was icing on the cake and that was litterally the shows first scene.