something I noticed

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Solid Alexei, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Solid Alexei

Solid Alexei Secret Operative

News Credits:
    in the scene where all the Autobots gather for the first time to meet Sam.. look at Bumblebee. He is covered with battle damage, charred marks and scratches.. My question is why? He just scanned the new Camaro like a couple of minutes ago and it was shiny new! I think the CGI animators just used the battle scarred model of Bumblebee in this scene instead of a shiny new. (if they even made one:p  lol)

on a second thought.. Im 100% sure ALL the Autobots in this scene have scrathes all over them! the same scratches they have during the last fight. Just checked. what a hell!!?! was it so difficult to make a shiny undamaged cgi models for the first shots of the movie or what?:-S

Ironhide during the first scene:
    [​IMG]

Bumblebee during the first scene (Ratched and Optimus are damaged too if you look at their close-ups)
    [​IMG]

unless the Autobots hade some kind of friendly match before they went to meet the humans I really cant explain it other then the lack of the undamaged CGI models:S

2. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Yeah, I've seen this pointed out a few times as well.

I'm sure there is SOME explaination for it, but I can't think of one.

3. cambaprecoz

cambaprecoz Well-Known Member

oh, man, where you got those pics?

BTW; those guys allready wasted 38 hours of renders, "why waste more, we effin' tired!"
    said the korean animators who are slaves.

4. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

The lack of damage in car mode was probably GM's decision.

5. Sky Shark

Sky Shark Well-Known Member

I forget if that was after BB scanned the new Camero but if it is, he wouldn't show damage because there were like 4 in existance at the time because it hasn't entered production yet so they wouldn't be allowed to damage one. If he's still in the old Camero form that "damage" maybe from the "custom fadded" paint job.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    BB had already scanned the new Camaro by the time the Autobot's showed up.

7. Solid Alexei

News Credits:
    lol It is the new Camaro so he should not have ANY scratches cause the car was shiny new! the suddenly he gets all battered and scratched! and its not just him. All of the Autobots are damaged and scratched before they even fought any battle. weird cause all the vehicles they scanned were brand new and shiny. I think there is just no undamaged CGI models for them or something. there are those promo images that look shiny but those are low polygon/low texture models, not the actual hi-rez movie renders.. so i guess they were in press of a time or something:S ow and btw the scratches on the robots remain the same through the whole movie. If you compare the scratches on the bots with the released hi-rez renders they will be 100% the same. then compare the same scratches and marks at the end of the movie and they STILL will be the same. They just used the same CGI models for every Autobot except some special cases like Bumblebee when he gets blowned up or Brawl all fucked up and stuff like that

EDIT: All this "movie magic" with shiny parts suddenly turning scratched can be easily seen here in this scene. When the Sector 7 choppers are close all the bots running for cover. Bumblebee transforming from the close-up of his face and chest (all scratched and battered) into the car. and the car is suddenly all shiny and new. the parts are going out of frame all scratched and coming back into the picture all shiny:-S just funny lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    That'd be my guess too. I can't see a car manufacturer taking too kindly to their cars featuring so prominently and looking trashed.

9. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    most certainly a pirated copy.

ILM isnt in korea. no animation farm did this. nothing but a team of professionals. and it wasnt wasted. and it was a lot more than 38 hours.

It was probably GM's decision not to let them be damaged in car mode. lots of car companies are like that.

of course, if they made the vehicles damaged, they would have to film everything in the exact order that it appears in the final movie with absolutely no re-shoots (or freedom in editing the movie together), to make sure the damage stays constant, and when a car gets damaged, that the damage stays there.

10. Solid Alexei

News Credits:
    yeah but why didnt they made the undamaged CGI models to match the shiny cars for the first half of the movie? then put some dirt and crap on the cars at the end to add this "battered" look to match the after battle scratches?

11. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    ...we just told you...!

12. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I have no idea why there are no undamaged robot mode CGI models. I'm guessing it just took way more work than they had the budget for to have a bunch of different models for each character. as for the cars:

and if they damaged the cars, they wouldnt be able to use them for the promotional stuff they've been doing.

the robot mode damage thing is annoying, especially when bumblebee's robot mode real-life stand-in has absolutely no damage on it at all.

13. blueandwhite

blueandwhite Well-Known Member

I think the question stems from the fact that Bumblebee just got a new Alt. mode (along with the rest of the Autobots) moments before that scene. If he can adopt a shiny new alt mode, then why is he (and the other Autobots) scratched to hell? I understand that GM may not want their vehicles looking like trash, but it doesn't explain why the bots themselves look beaten to bits immediately after taking on those alt. modes.

14. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    There were shiny models. In the Backyard scene BB, OP and Ironhide all were shiny. (couldn't tell if Jazz and Ratchet were)

15. Trenner Dios

Trenner Dios Humility > Huge Ego

I think it's about wanting to show the age of the Autobots; how they've been through many battles throughout thousands of years. Yeah, they look nice and new in alt-mode, but in their robot mode you can see their age and what war has done to them. It really isn't very logical, but it still makes the most sense to me.

16. magog

magog Member

New guy here. I noticed this too. It probably had everything to do with GM's contract, but if a movie explanation is necessary I came up with this theory. If the Decepticons have holo projectors to have drivers, then it wouldn't be too implausible to think the Autobots have similiar tech, but they use it to hide scratches and what not. There may be a concrete explanation on the DVD in a commentary. You never know.

17. Razorwing

Razorwing The Fallen Alternity.

News Credits:
    well I can think of a reason of when they in robot mode all scratched up, but not vice versa. Since you tons of panels moving back and forth, you would most certainly get scratches, but.. as for going back to car mode.. I got nothing.

18. Solid Alexei

News Credits:
    no they were all scratched trust me. I can post the screenshots if you want..

19. Lateralus

Lateralus Well-Known Member

This did kinda bug me, but oh well.

20. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    uh, I didnt notice the scratches before.^^

PS: about the pics, I'm aware of a pirate copy and the quality sucks. So, I envy the guy who get those pics. XD