Something I just noticed....

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by Wazzpinator, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Wazzpinator

Wazzpinator is playin ODST

In ABTC Part 2, The ones sucked into the space bridge first was

Blurr
    Thundercracker
    Skywarp

The "main" seekers. Meaning those are the ones everybody recognizes, so It's a good chance we'll see em again. I know a million people have probably said this already, but I just wanna throw it out.

P.S, Howcome every newcomer 'Con and 'Bot(single episoders) minus Waspinator

Get killed or maimed in their appearances?

2. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

They want to keep the core cast of Autobots and Decepticons small so they stick with the same characters in every ep. Also, many of the one-shot bots use guest VAs making it more money to use them in a show, so guys like Blurr, Jazz, Wreck-Gar, Swindle and so forth would never be able to be full time characters (sadly). It also helps spread out the story and give more characters to the show to introduce one-shots.

Personally, the fact that the main cast will always be the same five bots is one of the things I don't like about the show. I like Transformers because it's two armies of robots fighting a war, but this show is showing a very small aspect of that galactic conflict. And while people may claim that this allows for more characterization but how many episodes can we spend showing how much of a "lovable oaf" Bulkhead is or how Ratchet is the "cranky old bot"?

3. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    But, y'know, isn't the war, like, over or something?

The only way we'll see lots of dudes fighting would be if next Season they show us more of the Decepticons attacks around the galaxy on-screen.

4. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

There's still plenty of conflict left in the universe, the 'cons aren't gone, they were just hiding and waiting. But with the confirmation of not just Decepticons, but Megatron himself, on Earth you'd think the Autobots would have more then just five former maintenace bots and a single informations officer keeping an eye out for him.

5. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As much as I love the show I have to agree with this. Keeping the cast small for characterization is fine, but not when you keep retreading the same aspect of the character over and over again because that means that the character never grows... thus it becomes more of a lack of charaterization than anything. I mean, if I see another 'Bumblebee learns a valuable lesson about teamwork today' episode next season I think I'm going to chuck my remote at the TV for the day...

I've been thinking about that too. Honestly, I don't think Ultra Magnus is totally convinced that Megatron himself is on Earth. We know he was convinced of the Decepticons being there when they encountered Screamer... but I'm still not sure he really believes that Megs is there. Also, even if he did... Prime claimed to have defeated him and the Autobots weren't even sure what happened to him and if he was even still around until later in the second season.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  6. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I guess I'm one of the few that likes the Bumblebee & Bulkhead get into trouble episodes. I like the formula that they've got - focusing on 4-5 core bots - but I still think it'd be nice if they mixed up the teams of bots for a few episodes. Like, say, Prowl and Bulkhead spend several sequential episodes teamed up with the dinobots, while Optimus is left to lead, say, Wreck-Gar, Ratchet and maybe some other Autobots that show up. It'd A) give us a chance to get to know new characters and B) keep to the tried-and-true "5 people = enough time for good characterization" formula that Animated has stuck with (and had success with) so far.

7. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Uhh the whole Megatron thing was only confirmed in the last episode, they just knew Starscream was there.

8. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Actually it was confirmed before that. I believe in the episode where SS escaped and sent his 'Bomb Clones' to blow up Megatron. It was also the episode with Lockdown & Prowl teaming up and Prowl getting his new (though short lived) armor. If you remember the Autobots are chasing SS and they show up with him at Megatron's base (where they have another SS) and than it's revealed that they have bombs and than Prowls uses his armor to fuse the two together and send them rocketing into the stratosphere to explode right alongside Megatron, Blitzwing & Lugnut.

9. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

My problem with this is that they're doing the exact same thing as Teen Titans did, so this style doesn't really feel all that fresh or new, it feels like I'm watching Teen Titans again...only with giant robots. Everyone gets their personal episode, then they do a few team up episodes, they throw in a few Major plot-point episodes and at the end they have their big battle.

And while that worked well for Teen Titants, it was due to the fact that there were only so many Teen Titans to begin with, so it made sense to not continually expand their team. But the Autobots aren't a few lone superheros, they're soldiers in an army, so I see no reason not to occasionally expand, or even split up, their main group. Like they could have easily added Jazz to the main cast, Phil Lamar is a commonly used VA much like most of the cast so it's not like he'd be super expensive to keep calling back and his character would be a nice addition to the group. Or they can split the bots and have Prime and BB join a group fighting cons in space while the rest of the team guards the earth, with perhaps some more reinforcements/added characters.

...and why the heck are they still using a run down factory as their home base when they have an entire island with a fully operational labratory/fortress and built in security system in the Dino-bots on Dino-bot Island?

The show is great and all, don't get me wrong. The best written and handled series since Beastwars hands down. But there are just some things that personally bug me about it and I wish would be different. It doesn't make the show bad or anything, it just affects my personal liking of the show.

10. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

That and the fact that the Constructicons told the 'bots that Megs gave them oil, and not the cheap stuff the bots had. No, Old Megsy got the good stuff.

11. Particle_Beam

Particle_Beam Well-Known Member

Yeah, nothing bad with it.
    You're kidding, right? The comic-Teen Titans already had tons of members, and the cartoon-titans also had tons of members at the end (heck, they even expanded and created a new titans-team).
    They were told to pack up and return to Cybertron for the new conflicts against the Decepticons. However, this is a maintenance crew, not a fighting team.
    Why should they? Optimus Prime is not a combat-captain. None of them are combat crew. They're maintenance. Logistics. The guys who are supposed to stay behind and ensure that the fighting guys can keep fighting. That's an established fact since the very first episode of Tf: Animated.
    If we were to aim for a realistic scenario, then Optimus and his team would have to leave Earth, and another bunch of soldier-autobots would take over (and they would have as much experience as Sentinel Prime with how to deal with those organics).
    Not a really good scenario either.
    Because they're closer that way to Detroit, when super-villains and Decepticons raid the city.
    No problem.

12. defstar

defstar Autobot...

On the topic of adding members to the Autobot core...it's something that they NEED to do in the next season...if the producers keep with the same five core only and continue with the new guys only getting one episode I fear that show will age rather quickly...jmho...

13. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

The cartoon was based on the 1980s version of the Comic which started out with 7 members, but Kid Flash and Wondergirl were left out (at first anyway). But the show stuck with those core members...for a while, eventually expanding to the inclusion of a second TT team and ending in the whole big army thing. But the actual TT team was always on the small side and never was an army in a war like the Transformers are.

Actually, the reason they were allowed to remain on earth was to watch and protect it against Decepticon activities, which is technically a combat mission. They're space bridge technicians, but there are no official space bridges on earth, the Autobots don't even use that planet for any kind of military situation as it's so far out of the way it's not worth it. So what are they repairing to help the rest of their army fight better?

Or how Jazz reacted to them? Or how Bulkhead or Bumblebee or Prime or Prowl reacted to them? Being on earth was a good training excersize for a bunch of academy rejects, why wouldn't it be good training for more new recruits? Leave Ratchet and Prowl on earth, give them a few new guys to train and back them up and have Prime, BB and Bulkhead go on missions that need their expertise and combat skills for. As was shown with how UM faired against the cons, the Earth Bots are far more capable in combat then they seem due to their time on earth.

Most of the threats on the city seems to come from everything but Decepticons, many times the threat stemmed from that very island. And their home base isn't even that secure as anyone can just waltz right up to it. This isn't really a flaw with the show, just a personal "wtf" issue in my mind.

14. Particle_Beam

Particle_Beam Well-Known Member

The Teen Titans-cartoon took 4 seasons to add new members. And they weren't core members anyway, only appearing for a double-parter.

They're here to stay for any other Decepticon activity (and to search for AllSpark fragments). So far, the Decepticon forces on this planet consist of a core of three (and obviously are even fractured, as evidence by Black Arachnia and Starscream), which can be handled with. Also, in theory, the humans count as ally against the Decepticon invaders, which is why even Megatron is reluctant to simply show up and blast things up. The crew around Optimus knows this planet and has experience dealing with its inhabitant.
    Other combat troops need to defend the really vital installations.
    This maintenance team is not even the most vital one. Heck, when the series started, they were somewhere at the end of the galaxy far far far away from Cybertron, at an unimportant Space Bridge location.
    Weren't it for Starscream, Optimus Prime would be back at Cybertron for an Inquiry, and even altough Ultra Magnus was convinced of the AllSpark's status, the Cybertron Command wouldn't necessarily.
    These crew only really matters because they had the AllSpark. Which is now lost.
    The Autobots don't have time yet for cultural sight-seeing since the Decepticons show up again en masse. Jazz is an Elite Guard-member, and needs therefore to fight at the more vital installations. Bumblebee and Bulkhead still aren't Elite Guard material.
    And who should they train? Elite Guard members? They're all needed at the front right now. These little maintenance crew counts hardly as a garrison with the task to keep an eye for AllSpark fragments, and stray Decepticon activity.
    Now, if several dozens of Decepticon arrived on Earth, perhaps then would an Autobot strike force come to their aid.
    To be fair, Ultra Magnus was sucker-punched by Starscream, the arguably second-strongest Decepticon there is. And Starscream held the entire group at bay. It was only due to superior tactics and numbers that they overcame our beloved robot-zombie. :p 
    Most of the treats on the city happen in the city, that's the point. The Decepticons steal and raid things in Detroit for their space bridge. Super-villains rob banks or cause mayhem in Detroit too. But beside that, nobody is going up against the Autobots. The Decepticons have to lay low, the supervillains don't stand a chance against the tall Autobots, and there is nothing of importance there beside the AllSpark fragments, which the Autobots guard all the time anyway close to them, or hide it somewhere safe. The Autobots are also helpful beings, repairing damage or cleaning the city, because that's their programming. Helping and protecting life.
    These aren't militaristic loners who hide in their secret mountain base (which in the original series was invaded time and time again anyway).

15. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    THEY'LL BE BACK!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]