Customs: Something I cooked up at work...(edited, better images)

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by BrokenSVT, Mar 4, 2008.

1. BrokenSVT

BrokenSVT It's not broken anymore.

I've always enjoyed carving wood, so I figured why not carry that talent over to another fascination of mine. This was completed over the course of an hour or so, and is still rough. It is completely freehand, and I didn't make a sketch beforehand. It still requires sanding before prep and paint. I apologize for the picture quality ahead of time.

If anyone is interested in the media used, I may be convinced to come off with my new discovery(it's not wood :p ).

I think it has a G1 Bumblebee/Cliffjumper feel. The size is appropriate for a "small" Supreme class perhaps, being slightly smaller than Armada Unicron's. Any ideas for what to use this for would be appreciated. If no one thinks of anything, I'll chock it up to practice for future projects.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    It looks like an old Femme

3. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

LOL!

There IS a sort of old-woman-in-a-babushka look to it. :) 

But seriously, it's not bad... maybe a little overly cute and simplified, especially considering the scale. But it does have character!

zmog

4. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    With a bit of polish it would look pretty good. So what medium did you use and why are there spots in it? Reminds me of an eraser for some reason.

5. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

On that same thought, how about a ""Mother of The Universe" Female Primus Kind of figure? You could combine parts of Primus and Unicron, hell, maybe even Metroplex for GP.

6. BrokenSVT

^You're thinking along the same lines as myself now. I was unfortunate enough to have purchased a "nearly complete" Unicron on Ebay, and even after asking plenty of questions, you probably know where that one went. Needless to say, "several" pieces are missing. I now have a complete in box toy in the mail :banghead: 

I had already planned to sever his head and make a more convincing damaged Unicron head for my Primus to hold on his display shelf, and was considering "borrowing" a few pieces for other 'bashes in my future.

In regards to its simplicity, I plan to carve out some relief in the vents next to the head, as well as more facial detail. All in due time, I suppose. Or, as I mentioned before, I may chock it up to practice with the new medium and give it another go on a more practical[read: smaller] scale.

Oh, and while we're on that note...the medium...

So I'm standing at work, bored out of my skull. I reach into my tool bag to see what marvelous things may have fallen in there, when I find the product of a past day of boredom at work. On that fabled day, I had removed the outer Surlen(or w/e the material was) covers from a couple of CHEAP Pinnacle two-piece golf balls. These ones consist of just the dimpled molded cover and the "core," which is a molded polymer.

It occured to me that the material is stiff enough to shave down(like wood), has no grain so is easy to make any shape, yet is soft enough to cut curves and the like. It works like a gem.

A word of fair warning: DO NOT USE OLDER WOUND BALLS! DO NOT USE NEWER 3-PIECE BALLS! These are dangerous to cut open. The center core can remove itself at a VERY high velocity and hurt you badly. ONLY USE 2-PIECE(CHEAP) GOLF BALLS!

I removed the cover by clamping the ball into some vice grip pliers and using a cutoff wheel in a dremel-type rotary tool.

7. Archatron

Archatron Banned

Ebay:
    heh heh...3 piece balls heh heh. lol Which are the cheap ones on a serious note.

8. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Golfballs?!?!? LOL thats pretty darn cool.

9. BrokenSVT

The cheap ones are typically labelled "Titanium" or something similar. Namely, "distance" type are the cheapies, and they can be had for VERY low prices at Wal Mart. I'm actually going to start on a more structured sculpt, now that I know this will work.

I managed to snag the last Cyb Primus at our local Wallie World today(as well as another Grindcore, Big Daddy, 2x 5 pack Robot Heroes, yada yada). I must confess, I only wanted Primus for his arms and upper legs...eww, that sounds bad...for the upcoming giant Devastator I've always wanted. In addition to Primus, I scored an Energon Demolishor, and am working on a RID Grimlock. If anyone has a clue where to find a Cement Mixer of similar stature to Grindcore/Landmine, I'd be much obliged.