Something for you all who complain about the costs of Transformers going up...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by webz, Feb 23, 2012.

1. webz

webz Banned

Ebay:
    The other day, I was reading some thoughts of my father (Who died 10 years ago) that he had jotted down throughout his life, particularly the parts where I became involved. One thing that struck me, was he comments on financing a Commodore 64 and Optimus Prime (the C64 finally was at an affordable price due to a mail in rebate) for Christmas, 1984, at Montgomery Ward. Price of Optimus Prime: $29.99.

Now, at first, I didn't blink at that. $29.99 is about what you pay for a voyager Transformer today, right? Then a little thing called inflation popped into my head. That little piece of plastic & diecast truck, adjusted to 2011 dollars, cost $63.99. I was floored! That's more than a Leader class toy in today's Transformers!

Now, I'm sure most of you will STILL find reason to complain about Transformers, today, but I just found this little bit of "hidden nostalgia" to be interesting. Those of us who were around to collect Transformers the first time, more than likely had to save up allowances, or ask Santa Claus, for the various robots we craved thanks to that cleverly marketed 22 minute cartoon. Our poor parents were shelling out the same amount (or more) that we pay today! In 1984, a GI Joe figure cost $2.99, or $6.75 in today's dollars. Those $3.99 He-Man toys in 1981? yup... your parents paid $9.95 for a figure with almost barebones articulation and a head that would crumble if left in direct sunlight...

Just a point to ponder as you peruse the toy aisle at Target or Walmart.

2. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    To be fair, people mostly complain about ToyRus prices.

3. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Toy Industry Analyst

News Credits:
    Most people will tl;dr this and assume this is a thread for bitching about prices. Why? Because we're FANS and PROUD of it.

4. LogicalLuke

LogicalLuke Banned

Yeah, 15.89 for CJ today at TRU. Then I turn right around, 20.69 for Voyager Megs at Target. Guess who went back? :)  TRU charges 26.99 before tax for a voyager here. It's a scalper store that's frequented by and creates scalpers. They can't say the quality is better on the same exact toyline, they're price gouging. No fan likes that and people complain.

5. Reaper Cloud

Reaper Cloud Dark Wrecker

News Credits:
    Well said Webz.

Coming back to Transformers, I was SHOCKED to see how their pricing was pretty much the same compared to the 80's. I even looked at old Toy Catalog page scans to verify the older prices.

When I complain, it's mostly because either A) The store won't carry said item, or B) The online store is charging WAY too much, because it's rare or needs to be sent from overseas.

Transformers is a BARGAIN at their current prices. Including TRU's prices. Look at G.I. Joe (like you also pointed out). They were 3-4 bucks in the 80's, and I've seen them go for close to 9 dollars at Wal-Mart! Plus they are the same size, and come with the same type of weapons/items.

Thundercats are even more expensive, since they are either 4-6 Inches for 7-10 dollars (not sure on the pricing). Then the 8 Inch figures are 15-18 dollars, which is probably more than what they cost in the 80's. I forget what their original prices were.

Either way, I'm very happy with the pricing for Transformers figures. I just wish that they were easier to find, and that the First Edition Prime figures weren't given the shaft in the U.S. :) 

6. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I'm well aware.

I just don't care.

7. Agent Adam

Agent Adam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was actually thinking about G1 Prime back when people were complaining about Movie Trilogy Prime being $30. I don't get why that's such a bad price in hindsight.

8. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    Wanna hear (read) a dirty little secret?
    Back in the day, I didn't have very many Transformers.
    You know why? My parents couldn't afford them.

9. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    I remember back in the 80's in K-Mart that Prowl, Jazz, etc. were about $15, with their ie-cast metal and rubber wheels and hinges.

These days, with more simplified ball joints and plastic wheels we are creeping back up to that $15 for a standard car TF again. Gas in my area just hit $4 gallon- and I know damn well Regular was a hell of a lot cheaper then.

10. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Good point. Transformers were always expensive. Probably the reason why I didn't have so many of them as a kid.

I remember the one guy I always wanted was Soundwave, but he was something around $30.00 if I recall correctly. Heck, I got a GI Joe Killer WHALE and Tomahawk each at that price point, and that was my big birthday gift. As cool as Soundwave was, he was just too small in comparison - less bang for your buck, at least to me at the time (well, I'd probably still pick either of those over him, but only just).

We're doing alright today, I think. Nothing to complain about.

11. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The argument for why TRU prices are higher is because they have to make their profits somehwere as they don't get the volume of parents buying toys for their kids or other random stuff like Walmart and Target.

Personally, I'm not going to complain about TRU. I buy all my TF from Walmart and Target and then take the hit if I can only find it there or it becomes a TRU exclusive.

Adjusted for inflation.

G1 Prowl, Jazz, etc. Bricks made out die-cast with rubber wheels - $36
    Generations with better articulation, simplified ball joints, plastic wheels - $10-$15

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  12. Stepper

Stepper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Previously the G1 Sixshot when it was reissue,the price is way cheaper than the current pre order price of around US$130,this is crazy

13. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    I remember saving up for Powermaster Optimus Prime- all $40+ for him. I remember my parents having a cow because of how much I paid for what I bought.

14. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    Adjust for whatever inflation you want- taking into account the de-valuing of the dollar, etc... this stuff aint worth much more than what we are paying now.

And no amount of price comparing puts more money into my pocket or cheapens my other obligations.

Why is that so darn hard for you people to understand?

15. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

The Price Tag that's still on my Fortress Maximus's box is around $100 and it's a TRU tag. Yeah TFS have always been expensive.

16. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    He came with a trailer, he came with Roller, he came with chrome, he came with die-cast parts, he came with rubber tires. You were getting toy for your money.

17. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    So your comparing something that was mainly die cast to something mainly plastic and saying that there is no differences?

Sacrifices have been made to keep the price what it is.

I just think people have a problem spending more then $30 for a toy with now minimal paint apps.

18. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Yep. Minimal paint apps and cheaper materials.

To pick a somewhat comparable-sized toy, if Hasbro had released that Voyager Battle Blades Optimus Prime from 2010 (the one that looks like a scaled-down RotF Leader) with a trailer, with chrome, with rubber tires, with full paint apps, with die-cast parts... you better believe I would have paid $70 for that. HAPPILY.

19. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

What about engineering and smaller parts for better articulation?

20. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

Re-issues don't cost so much because of how or what they are made of. They are expensive because they are created in limited numbers for collectors. That is not inflation.

If they 84 line got a wide release like it did back then, the price would be about the same.