Something for the "The One True Way Transformers should be" folks to read

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Nevermore, May 26, 2006.

1. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
  2. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

That is so true.

3. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It makes sense. A G1 fan I may be but I'm no, TOIHAAK. I started collecting Transformers in 1985 when I was still in my twenties so I'm not harboring any childhood beliefs about Transformers. This good essay does have a good theory on the behavior of some fans.

4. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Drawings from Argentina! :D

News Credits:
    Interesting indeed. but like I always say: I like different incarnations of Tf, from toons to toys. Sure, G1 as my first line and I love it, they are classics but I admit that with time the toy get better and better. At least a few molds. Sure, I don't like Minicons but not for that I'll stop buying the Armadaverse line.
    "the One True Way" doesn't work for me.

5. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Makes you wonder

I read this essay

And I wonder,the writer never goes into what HE FEELS causes "TOIHAAK" syndrome

You have to really wonder what makes a person like that.I was born in '78 so I was around from begining to end of Transformers the first time around.

But I don't see G1,BW,BM,etc.I just see Transformers.In other words I have lines.Each show and toyline is equal in my eyes.

Honestly people like that can't be happy people inside their heart and soul

Now if I may wax logical for a moment.I personally feel that the reason for "TOIHAAK" is simply adults laching onto their childhood memories in a way of dealing with the rigors of the adult world.

Now I'm certain that all of us here who watch TFs or other 'toons do it in part of the pleasure it gives them.But like anything it can go too far.

As far as this syndrome goes in terms of the TF line.That to me is a shame.Because Alts/Binaltech rock,GF/Cybertron rock.And from what I've seen of TF Classics that's pretty killer too. In fact most of the lines are pretty good.These toy hacks are honestly short changing themselves

6. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

Is this really anything we haven't heard before? Lots of times actually. With all the time I've spent among the online fandom... I really haven't run into many of these so called hard core 'my line, or the highway' types.

More often then not, many are quick to label others as offenders of "my line is best/Geewoners"... if that person doesn't agree with everything the other thinks.

I mean, I'm a pretty objective person... and have a soft spot for G1 (because yes, that was my first experence with TFs)..... but what does it mean if "I" who enjoys most every aspect of Transformers still thinks G1 is better than the others? Am I then automaticly a G1 purist freak? I've been called as much for simple voicing my opions on other lines (ones I like I might add).

I'm really tired of myself and others being dismissed in such a small minded way. This essay only adds fuel to the fire of those ignorant enough to perpetuate this simple way of thinking. True there are those out there that fall into that catagory.... but from what I've seen, there are few of them.

7. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I guess I'm a toyhack because I grew up with G1 and don't like every TF toyline. :rolleyes2 

8. Shaun_C

It's because of how you CHOOSE to express yourself online BP.If you're not a G1 purist *which to be honest is simply a less derogetory form of the word "Geewunner" then you shouldn't express yourself that way*

As seen in this post and this post you refer to G1 homages as "Rapes of G1" knowing full well that rape isn't a word to be used lightly

It's posts like that that you get grief for.

And yes there are lots,if you know the right boards to go to you'll see posts upon posts from "Geewunners". Some of them have posted here as well but were either 1)1-trick ponies who make posts just to start drama or 2)Were banned because they wouldn't cool it when told to

9. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Wonderful, another label.

I still contend these people don't exist the way everyone in their minds think they do. I'm still wondering if there's an active transfan out there that has never bought anything but "G1". I still really doubt it.

This is just one group of people trying to posture themselves higher than another group. It's pathetic.

And no, I'm not a "toyhack" for christ's sake.

10. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Yeah, there are folks like that.

I love G1, I love Alternators, I love cars that turn into robots.

That's where it ends, if I don't like something I'll state why, then just end it there.

I can't believe some of the arguments people get into over toys, I can remember when Armada first came out, people were really getting HEATED over it, people on both sides of the argument.

I simply took a break from collecting at the time.

I think there are those that are at the opposite side of the "TOIHAAK" thing as well, I see people on more than one TF board jump someone's shit because they don't like a particular toy. Not everyone is going to like the same thing, it's just the way it is, folks just need to get over it and get on with their life.

11. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Dude, I am really not trying to be an ass, you seem like an OK guy, but chill with this rape thing, the word has more than one meaning...

12. Shaun_C

Okay I will :) 

Just sort of a personal pet peeve when I see or read someone use a word that IMO is too strong in the context.

But I'll never mention it again

P.S. Never knew about those other definitions;although the #2 definition confuses me highly

13. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Too true. *nods*

I can't really find it in myself to get pissed off at someone for liking a toy. They aren't rolling around on my floor, pushing the object into my face.

I think the thing in the link comes from a part of human nature that causes many to want to have some sort of "step up" over those around them. Hell, in CoH global chat I've (paraphrasing) heard things like:

"No no, you don't understand, I owned an ORIGINAL Grimlock. Cybertron is crap."

Personally, I'm at a stage where I just sit back and laugh. If I got pissed at people for the toys they like and dislike, I'd probably be holed up in a virtual bunker with the other 3 people that like BW Injector. ;) 

Except of course for you maniacs calling Classics Megatron a shellformer. You guys...you are my enemies. I am your sole nemesis. We will do toygeek combat over a crimson sea under the bloody moon, and I will bathe in your infidel innards. And then, all will know that I am a man.

A MAN.

14. Shaun_C

It's the nature of the beast my brother :) 

They exist like Trekkies,comic fanatics or Star Wars fanatics exist.It's probably that you've never seen them post.

The fandom's huge,just because they don't post online doesn't mean they don't exists.Plus ALL stereotypes are rooted in truth

15. Dio

Dio Well-Known Member

Again, it all amounts to:

Express yourself
    Follow your passion, because it is valid and honorable
    Don't be an asshat when someone else has a different opinion

It has nothing to do with any particular TF generation, or any particular toy line, or franchise, or even hobby for that matter. There are people who choose to utilize courtesy and tact, and there are those who do not. "Toyhacks" are simply a toy-oriented version of the latter case, but toys are neither the root of the problem nor the issue.

And I have NEVER called any particular individual any derogatory epithet on these or any other forums, in case anyone may think that.

16. Severus

Severus Curmudgeon TFW2005 Supporter

Man, those people who are stuck on one thing and insist that their way is best are idiots! I just don't understand how they could possibly think that anyone who collects different things from them has no taste.

If only they could understand that they should just buy stuff from ALL lines then everything would be great. Why don't you guys get on that. :rolleyes2 

17. Severus

18. Shaun_C

19. Severus

In retrospect, I think it was thoughtless of me to use something incendiary as an example. However, notice the URL - that photo comes from a university website curriculum geared towards helping people understand the Japaense internment during WWII. Also, the whole Fu Manchu stereotype was around quite a bit before all that, but that's a digression.

Anyway, the point is that stereotypes are often used to promote a certain viewpoint, be it hate, or getting people to buy war bonds, or whatever, and they're all the more effective if you can draw upon one that predates your purposes. Giving a stereotype credence as being at least partially accurate is the same as just accepting something simply because you've heard it repeated a lot. Folk wisdom isn't always right.

I think I'm in thread hijack territory now, though, so this is me backing down.:D 

20. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Read this article on Dave's website. I see it more as a potential explanation of why, rather than really getting into the "one true wayism" of it all.

Myself, I like something about just about every TF toyline, so I can't really claim any "one true way" stuff. I'd be lying if there wasn't some influence there. The best example being that I find Transformers exciting, but I don't get much out of almost any other transforming toys/mecha/robots that aren't 'Real' TFs. I'm a big fan of G1 and Beast Wars/machines, mostly because those brought out the character of the robots in ways other shows hadn't (for me). I do enjoy the homages and "Classics" and BW 10th and such.