Someone complained about how Optimus Prime was portrayed?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by iLuvM3, Jun 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter Cullen91

Peter Cullen91 Well-Known Member

also, if decepticons aren't taken out, then what can you do, let them escape to do more damage?

2. megatronkicksas

megatronkicksas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I enjoyed it.

3. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:

This, I agree with every point made here, even though it is a little on the angry side

4. Covenant

Covenant Mr. Roboto in Disguise

Ebay:
    Wow, what a shit thread to dig up. There's better ones covering Optimus' behavior, and there was less "you're just a nitpicky loser for having a problem - vs - you're a moron for liking it", if I recall correctly.

Then again, I only looked at the first page of this thread.

Did it get any better?

5. Gozer-Bot

Gozer-Bot Banned

[​IMG]
    YOU'RE DARN TOOTIN' I'M ANGRY!

I'VE NEVER BEEN THIS ANGRY... IN MY ENTIRE LIIIFE!

...Say! I feel GREAT! I LOVE being angry!

Thank you, Thestampede!

6. Spoon

Spoon Banned

Citation needed.

Hell, even on his toy Bio, it says right now all he's doing is running and hiding.

Should we apprehend such individuals? Yes.

Execute without trial? No.

7. Peter Cullen91

8. Spoon

Spoon Banned

I posted this previously...

I think it says a lot about the movie Autobots that after thousands of years of war, they have still failed to find a way to properly detain their foes.

9. Repainted

Repainted Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not going through the whole thread to inquire a simple thing. What where Prime, the Autobots, NEST supposed to do with Decepticon enemies anyways? Say "Turn into a comet and rocket off the Earth?" Take them to Decepticon jail? I don't believe such an enemy can be sufficiently imprisoned (take the G1 episode where the Stunticons escaped and wounded their Autobot captors on the way out). Since Megatron eventually found his way out of ice, why put potential weapons for him such as allies into cold storage? Decepticons don't sort of believe in what they do, they fully believe and nothing short of their executions were really going to solve the problem that they are. Not a great message to send, but consider the circumstances.

10. Peter Cullen91

thank you, someone who understands what I'm saying

11. Spoon

Spoon Banned

And completely misses what I am saying.

Why don't the Autobots have a way of detaining them?

12. jonatron26

jonatron26 Well-Known Member

what good is detaining him anyway? so he can wait a few years till the war is over then be sent home to his beloved decepticon wife and tonka truck children and pick up his life where it left off before the war? seems unlikely.

if they had a HUGE facility to reform bad robots, that is also impervious to any decepticons attempt of jailbreaks, then prime's actions would have been unreasonable.

13. Peter Cullen91

Oh I don't know, maybe the answer is in Repainted's quote! He clearly explained why detaining wouldn't work. Oh, and I'll add another example:

in the g1 episode more than meets the eye, ravage is locked in a cage, but escapes a minute later. besides, if any decepticon is imprisoned, they'll just blast their way out.

14. Repainted

Repainted Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, that's a little more difficult for them you see. Especially when you have bots that can turn into a billion round balls and be re-transmitted anywhere. You even have old bots with space bridges on them and disappear to Primus knows where. Then there's the obvious problem with trying to imprison something as huge as Devastator. As humans, we can't do any of those things. Cybertronian incarceration is a lot more difficult concept to grasp for their species considering the amount of variables.

15. Peter Cullen91

while it seems reasonable, if you read about Wreckage's time in captivity in IDW Alliance, that just proves reform and decepticons don't match

16. jonatron26

jonatron26 Well-Known Member

ravage escaping was part of the autobots plan actually.

17. Peter Cullen91

wait, I thought ravage escaped by reaching for the key, then that led to the autobots' plan. I gotta watch the episode again.

but still, being loaded w/ weapons, you could easily blast yourself out of prision.

18. newguy

newguy i

Holy crap!!! the movie forum it still full of hate and bashing? this whole forum needs to be closed. IMO

19. Peter Cullen91

I wish, but it just can't stop.

20. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    First and foremost, let me make it clear that I have absolutely no beef with Prime killing Decepticons. But I certainly do care about the way it is depicted.

G1 Prime taking down Megatron's crew in the 1986 film and 2007 Prime knocking Bonecrusher's block off are among my favorite scenes in TF media, for I feel they successfully portray Prime as a formidable warrior without going against his character. In both these sequences, I got absolutely no impression that Prime took any joy in killing the enemy. Dispatching them was nothing more than a job that had to be done, and Prime gave them quick, clean deaths - soldier's deaths. The Prime I know and love values all life, would only kill in the defense of innocents, and would deliver as swift and as painless an end as possible to a foe, no matter how despicable that foe was.

What I saw in ROTF did not jibe with the earlier depictions at all. Demolishor's death I wasn't all too bothered about, but I was jarred in the case of Grindor and the Fallen. Prime defeated them in a manner that was exceedingly brutal, bordering on sadistic. That thuggish "Give me your face" line didn't help any. Nothing like the Prime archetype I've detailed above. That was my complaint about how ROTF presented Prime - totally out of character.

What movie were you watching?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.