Someone complained about how Optimus Prime was portrayed?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by iLuvM3, Jun 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vengeance1701

Vengeance1701 Well-Known Member

The way the second movie Prime acted reminded me of his Mission to Autobot City. He didn't exactly offer any 'morals' there.

Sometimes I think even Prime has enough.

2. ngnikolaos

ngnikolaos Well-Known Member

You can be surprised at how little morals mean when you have to kill off an entire generation of toys just to bring some new ones ...

3. spiritprime

spiritprime Dudes, I'm a girl!

News Credits:
    The deadlier the Prime, the better I love him.

I never complained about Optimus acting brutal. War can change people, and I think that eliminating the Decepticon threat to prevent mankind from going extinct is a very good choice. No use complaining there at all. It just makes him more determined than ever to protect those that are about to lose their lives or their freedom

I feel... disappointed in some people... This is a movie, not a T.V series. If you want him not going around killing people or showing mercy towards his enemies, watch G1 or Animated.

4. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As has been stated numerous times by most of the people that had a problem with Optimus Prime in this movie,

it isn't the fact that he is killing Decepticons, it's the fact that he acts so brutal and feels the need to spout weak oneliners to his enemies. He's not Steven Seagal.

Prime killing Decepticons is very fine.

5. Razorwing

Razorwing The Fallen Alternity.

News Credits:
    He was cool.

6. Cosbydaf

Cosbydaf Well-Known Member

I agree.

Decapitating Bonecrusher? Quick and merciful end to a Decepticon who deliberately killed humans and needed to be stopped.

Shooting Demolishor in the face? Same as above.

But then we go from that, to tearing Grindor's face apart with hooks? A simple stab to the head would have sufficed. And where did he get hooks from anyway?

And was tearing The Fallen's face off necessary either? I admit it looked cool, but that line "Give me your face!" was really out of character.

7. AutobotSkids

AutobotSkids G1/Bay Lover

My beleif is that Prime isnot a killing machine, and certainly does show compassion for Sam, the other Autobots, and the humans.

A few of his lines in the first movie when fighting Megatron showed him as compassionate, and certainly not wanting to kill his brother.

How he killed Grindorin ROTF was because, let's face it, they wanted him, and a loved one dead. Not killing the decepticon would not be the best choice since Prime valued his and Sam's life. His dying words were "Sam...Run..."

As for the fallen, he wasgoing to destroy Earth, and would have just been rebuilt and pursued the same goal again if Prime left him alive. The fallen had to die.

8. ngnikolaos

This

9. Decay_is_awesome

Decay_is_awesome Well-Known Member

i was pretty shocked when he executed demolishor, almost equally shocked aout grindor and kind of at a loss for words when he demanded the fallens face. it did seem somewhat out of character, but i think its more because the decepticons werent sufficently characterised as being irrideemable until after most of it.

seeing a baby transformer slide down starscreams chest while both he and megatron basically ignored it went a fair way to justifying prime, not to mention seeing starscream throw its lifeless corpse down for no other reason than to prove a point to megatron.

all but demolishor can kind of be explained away by simple circumstance. prime was in a position where he had to go all out against grindor in the forest, he had an opertunity to win, and for the sake of life on earth he threw away his usual restraint and did whatever it took to do the job. same with the fallen. it was brutal, but effective, prime had the chance to end the fight in one move and took it. horrible, but prime ended his suffereing with a punch through the torso immediatly afterwards. demolishor seems a bit colder. he was basically sitting around peacefully, minding his own business, and when confronted tried to run rather than fight. they needed to show that he wasnt sitting and minding his own business, he was sitting and waiting until he could do maximum damage. there was nothing peaceful about it, he was lying in wait. but they didnt really establish that well enough for me. especially given that prime didnt really know what the stakes were and who the fallen was at that point.

so overall i can justify most of it, but it needed to be layed out better. would you tear off hitlers face to end all the suffering he was planning on inflicting, knowing you weregoing to put him out of his misery seconds later? im not saying its right or wrong, but its withing the realm of being justifiable, especially if you had spent centuries seeing firsthand just how great that suffering would be.

10. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    Prime has seen his Homeworld of Cybertron be destroyed in the war with the Decepticons and he doesn't want the same to happen to earth so he is going to do what it takes to prevent it even if it means capping decepticon asses

11. Anti Spark

Anti Spark It'S DUB Or Nothing!

News Credits:
    Prime acted the only way he could. He had to push himself to his limits. He died trying.

12. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I can kind of see where people are coming from, and in the hands of better scriptwriters and directors, I might think it was set up for the 3rd movie, where maybe the destruction of the allspark, or matrix energy or something was making Optimus start acting more aggressive until he totally loses his mind or something.
    But for this movie, I think everyone is just putting more thought into things than the movie creators did.

13. StarSaber79

StarSaber79 Banned

News Credits:
    Prime in this movie has to be the best Optimus ever in Transformers history. He should have been a head cutting, face ripping badass in every series.

14. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Now that's the real shame isn't it.

And do love the "War is brutal and soldiers kill" argument. It's so simple. But I could have done without Prime executing Demolisher. He could have just died after telling Prime of the Fallen, but we just HAD to have that gunfire for the effect of dramedy. Or better yet, Sideswipe could sliced his head off and Prime could comment "What is this war doing to us?"

I really didn't mind him killing Grindor. Prime was in the fight of his life and his blades had been worn down to hooks. He did what was necessary to protect Sam, I get that. I also didn't mind how he killed the Fallen, but I just could have used a better one-liner like "You started this War! You don't deserve Mercy!" or "Freedom will only be perserved with your death!"..."I want your face" sounds something like Megatron would say.

So yeah, Prime is a soldier fighting a war and will kill. Not a single person is arguing against that, but civilized soldiers DO NOT execute their enemies. Though I'll say it again (and hopefully one you "Soldiers kill in war" people will actually read it), Prime's brutality isn't so much a gripe as it is simply jarring. It just isn't something that has been represented in the 25 years of his character.

15. ngnikolaos

q

f

t

16. Vengeance1701

Vengeance1701 Well-Known Member

In retrospect and in 'calmness', I would completely agree with SMKSpy.

But that's Orci/Kurtzman for you.

17. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

The reason I always liked Prime as a heroic character is that he was the best warrior but it was because he killed as a last resort and expressed regret for those type of actions. The Optimus Prime in this movie doesn't really have that going for him and I thought that "Give me your face" line was the lamest of the whole movie series.

18. omegagoalie

omegagoalie Cybertronian Puckstopper

Ebay:
    Jesus F'n Christ....

Prime was excellent. If you don't like it go watch Go-Bots.

19. Dran0n

Dran0n miss me w/ that

News Credits:
    I thought Optimus was great in ROTF.

20. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would, but you're occupying the tv set watching Sesame Street.

What's wrong with people and this GTFO mentality lately?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.