Someone complained about how Optimus Prime was portrayed?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by iLuvM3, Jun 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iLuvM3

iLuvM3 Me, Grimlok, King!

saying what they saw was not optimus prime, like the execution style he performed on Demolisher..that got me thinking and just now i was looking at a graphic novel that i've been trying to find in store..

It's the War Within Omnibus

[​IMG]

when it comes to fighting Optimus isn't a pushover he tries to get the job does, as he tried in Transformers the movie 1986 where he fought to the death to prevent Megatron at all costs even through the pain and damage he took.

so basically Optimus Prime was not a bad guy, he was just more on the edge of preventing everything from coming down, keeping the decepticons at bay the best he could, its war, you have to understand how that works and they portrayed it well.

Optimus isn't a push over and soft of hear for the evil forces, that makes him a sturdy leader at the same time he knows what he is fighting for and protecting.

2. TIE Bomber

TIE Bomber Banned

Whatever! I haven't seen one legitimate complaint about this movie yet. Just a bunch of stupid pointless fanboy nitpicking.

3. jostru

jostru Well-Known Member

This.

I had no problem with Optimus in this movie. I just don't get how people can be complaining about how he was portrayed... he was portrayed as a complete badass! How can you not love that!

4. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I can get the complaints though. Now I like Prime being a total badass, but he was rather vicious towards the Decepticons. The Primes I've know have ALWAYS killed only as a last resort. They don't execute Decepticons. Nevertheless, I don't see movie Prime as a "bad guy."

5. iLuvM3

what primes are you talking about o_O , every hardcore fight where Optimus was about to execute someone as in the 1986 movie, someone comes out and messes him up mid-battle. such as Hot Rod, i can never forgive Hot Rod/ Rodimus Prime and i've hated him since lol. Optimus was about to put one between his eyes, we all know it. Optimus has always been a badass, this time he was just no holds bar and trying to do one thing, end the Decepticons and save mankind.

as for the movie i loved it, i'm stuck on whether it was equal to the first one or better, i definitely loved the fight scenes :].

and the guy who posted previous it is a bunch of fanboy nit picking, if you look at who made it, Michael Bay, then you already know what to expect so you can't nit pick it and have to accept it for what it is. i thought it was amazing :]

6. evebird

evebird Waiting for Omega

Really? So the 80% of critics that don't like the movie have no legitimate complaints? That's all just fanboy nitpicking too?

Anyway, I agree that Movie Prime is the most vicious Prime yet. If people like that, fine. It's not for me, but the majority of the fanbase seems to like it that way.

7. smkspy

Hey look, you named the one scene in all of Transformers history that Prime is actually about execute a Decepticon (and THE Decepticon at that time after he brutally murdered most of Prime's top officers). Now, go name some other scenes in the various Transformer series and comics where Prime almost executes a Decepticon. You can't because Prime only kills when he feels that it is a last resort. But like I said, this isn't a bad portrayal of Prime...only that it is a jarring portrayal, which I'm sure to get the common reponses of "This ain't G1" and "This is a MB movie what else do you expect."

Now I'll agree with you and I also enjoyed ROTF more than the first.

8. Simian

Simian Biscuits and Gravy....???

News Credits:
    Optimus was awesome......Nuff said....

9. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    It is a movie about Cybertronian civil war, not round table peace talk. For OP it is to slaughter Cons or die.

10. iLuvM3

i could go through the two g1 graphic novels i own or wait for the matrix of leadership box set to help defend myself but i won't.

i will settle with yes, optimus prime doesn't really lean towards violence but at the same time he fights to protect while trying to stop the decepticons.

i do have to say though a reason for Optimus never destroying decepticons could clearly be brought up with hasbro using the show and comics as a toy line, theres a documentary on the 1986 movie explaining about when all the autobots were basically killed off it was an out with the old in with the new and they never decided otherwise. this could be why optimus didn't kill that many decepticons and rather just injured them to a point, you know to keep the storyline going and products selling ;].

but in all this is a different optimus and the first movie did him wrong with that weak fight, it was nice to see him stronger and harder in this movie with a no holds bar attitude ;].

11. smkspy

Plain fact, you're probably not gonna find any. Prime ALWAYS tried to make Megatron and other Cons see reason or allow them the chance to surrender themselves. G1/G2/Beast Wars/Armada/Energon/Cybertron/RID/Animated/Marvel/Dreamwave/IDW...every series, every continuity. Prime's compassion for even his enemies is one of his defining traits.

Agreed.

I could apply this reasoning to the new movie as a reason WHY they shouldn't have so much Bot death.

Somewhat agreed. I didn't think the fight was that weak in the first movie. Could it have better? of course. I like this badass Prime, but the point remains that it is a new direction for the character, and is rather shocking given the past 25th years of characterization. I totally get why some people are upset with that.

12. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The thought that good guys can't/won't/shouldn't kill is rediculous and only exists in either the minds of pacifist idealists, comic books, and in childrens cartoons. Real life does not allow for such idealistic notions. The Autobots are at war with the Decepticons, and on top of that, they chose to protect the earth and all of its life on it from a force that has no intention of showing any mercy towards anyone or anything, as seen in both live-action movies It would not be a very convincing movie if Optimus, or any of the other Autobots just kept shooting only to miss or just inflict non-fatal wounds. Prime doesn't enjoy terminating other robots, but knows it's necessary.

One may say that Batman never kills, but Batman isn't up against giant robots who have no regard for the earth or the life forms on it, and would rather squash us the first chance they get.

13. smkspy

Why do I hear Walter Sobchak when I read this?

14. enkidoamark

enkidoamark Well-Known Member

I'm with this guy.

The movie was good and I like that Prime kicks some ass, but I think the point that a lot of people are missing is that Prime is the archetypal character. He is supposed to be the moral cornerstone for the entire fiction. Considering that, glib remarks before killing downed foes is really a break from the established personality of the character(s).

15. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I can understand liking the movie, hell I loved it, was a great time.

But to say that there's no legitimate problems with it, just nothing but nitpick absolutely stinks of blind bias fanboyism.

16. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
    Prime doesn't kill in any of the cartoons because they are children's shows. You think he led a war for millions of years without killing anyone?

The comics...well the new ones suck :p 

17. iLuvM3

Prime doesn't kill in the cartoons because they are kids shows o_O , i believe you haven't seen the 1986 movie where they have Optimus, Iron Hide and almost every other Autobot you remember die.

so death has been depicted and Optimus somewhat killed Megatron in that movie since he was dying but was rebuilt by Unicron. Optimus never got a chance to kill anyone or finish anyone off because his mind was always in the wrong place, he wouldn't risk losing someone to kill someone, ie. when Hot Rod jumps on Megatron in the 1986 movie Optimus will not shoot til Hot Rod moves. just like in the cartoons anyone screams help Optimus will stop to try and help. it's just how he was, he could be seconds from killing, but will stop to help a poor soul.

the movie just depicted him in getting the job done, i don't see what was so wrong about it. i enjoyed it actually and was like damn o_O  hardcore. it doesn't make me think of him as evil, it makes me think of him as preventing the problem from growing, the whole thing they were doing was stopping every decepticon, if you paid attention they were hunting them down and terminating them one by one ;]

18. ngnikolaos

ngnikolaos Well-Known Member

I guess the 21% rating from rotten tomatoes doesn't count as legitimate complaint about this movie, then.

19. iLuvM3

lol rotten tomatoes reviews are too harsh, you gotta understand you can nit pick any movie out and you'll find atleast 50 - 100 things wrong with it, there can never be a perfect movie because someone out there finds something to dislike. its a proven fact ;]

20. ngnikolaos

ngnikolaos Well-Known Member

Even if I agree with you for the most part, they did gave 57% to TF2007. Which means they consider ROTF vastly inferior (my point all along).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.