Some Xbox 360 questions

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by ElSnarfo, May 13, 2008.

1. ElSnarfo

ElSnarfo Registered Slacker

Well, I'm a casual gamer at best, still rocking out with guitar hero on my ps2 and i'm looking to upgrade to a 360.

Everything's pretty clear except the following:

Xbox live:
    I noticed you have to get point cards, whats that all about? Are the prices decent and what can you get?

Xbox itself:
    Can it play all region dvds or just a specific region? Are burned dvds playable? (not that I condone piracy in any way)

Are black wireless controllers available?

Whats the deal with that keyboard add-on?

Is the elite package the best way to go?

Why is the wireless reciever so damn expensive, makes me wonder if its even worth it..(80 euro for an add-on)

Thanks for the answers :) 

2. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

Xbox live:
    I noticed you have to get point cards, whats that all about? Are the prices decent and what can you get?

points let you buy stuff, xbla games, themes, videos etc. arcade games usually cost 800 (about £5)

Xbox itself:
    Can it play all region dvds or just a specific region? Are burned dvds playable? (not that I condone piracy in any way)

dvd videos are region specific. dunno about burnt ones.

yes.

its a keyboard add on.

most likely.

Why is the wireless reciever so damn expensive, makes me wonder if its even worth it..(80 euro for an add-on)

its not.

Thanks for the answers :) 

no worries!

3. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    The prices are pretty standard.

1600 pts = $20
    4000 pts = $50

Downloadable content ranges in price, ex:
    1 Rock Band song = 160
    3 pack of Rock Band songs (pre-determined) = $440
    Map pack for Halo = 800
    Original Xbox game = 1200
    Xbox Live arcade game = 400 to 800

I do believe the system is region coded, but the HD addon is not.

Not sure about burned DVD's though. They should.

Yes.

Pink, electric blue, and white are also around.

The messenger kit is $30 and comes with an extra headset.

It's pointless because:
    a) you never really message that much
    b) a USB keyboard works too

It depends on your needs. The only thing the Elite really has is the extra 100GB in HDD space and audio breaker cable. (allows you to run HDMI and optical / RCA connections)

If you're OCD about your home theater setup, a white console might stick out like sore thumb.

The Xbox 1 wireless adapter also works. Any wireless adapter which runs from the CAT-5 / RJ45 jack will work also.

I'm using the original Xbox adapter. I purchased it from eBay for $40USD.

: )

4. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    Point Cards: The Microsoft Point Cards you've seen are the currency used to purchase things from the Xbox Live Marketplace -- you can use said points to download Live Arcade Games, Game Demos, Themes and Gamer Pictures, TV shows, Movie rentals, Downloadable Game Content, and other such things. As for prices... you can get 1600 point cards ($20) and 4000 point cards ($50, I think) ...or you can add your credit card information to the system and purchase points directly online.

...as for the pricing of items you can download... everybody feels differently.

Region DVDs and Burned discs the 360 is a region locked system, so you can only play games that match your system's region, or the rare region-free discs; usually Asian versions of games. The 360 can also playback media from a burned disc, like video, music, and images; but not games.

Black Wireless controllers? Yes, they are available, along with white, blue and pink controllers.

Keyboard add-on The messenger kit is a small keypad that can be attached to the bottom of a controller and helps immensely when sending messages back and forth or naming saved content. I couldn't live without mine.

Elite package? As all 360s now have HDMI ports, the only difference to the Elite is the 120GB hard-drive and the black case. If you don't see yourself downloading a lot of content online, then you'd do just as well with the 360 Pro.

Wireless reciever, high price FTL ...you'll soon find that just about every 360 accessory is ridiculously expensive. Microsoft likes to make them a butt-ton of profit on their ish. S'all. If you can find a way to run ethernet cable to your box, then your best off ignoring this one.

...wasn't an option for me so I had to bite the bullet on this one.

5. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

Xbox live:

-The cards are used for Microsoft Points, which is basically the means which you purchase content(DLC, Gamepics, Themes, Full Arcade Games, etc) off of xbox live. They are pretty reasonable, you can get about 1600 points for about 20 bucks in stores. You can purchase them with a credit card on Xbox Live, and there are a variety of prices for however many points you want. Most DLC tends to run between 400-800 Microsoft points.

Xbox itself:

-I believe so. I have Spaced on DVD that I imported from the UK and it plays fine on my Xbox while it won't play on my DVD player. I don't know about burned DVDs, they might work. Now that I think of it, I have a couple I should try that a friend made for me of some movies he made. I'll let you know.

-Yes.

-Basically to make messaging easier.

-While I don't have an elite myself, it's got some impressive specs, it has a bigger hard drive than the standard system and I think they now come with HDMI cords.

-Not sure. I've thought about getting one, but it's close to 100 bucks in the States. I just have mine connected to the wireless router in my living room.

www.xbox.com has a lot of information as well. Plus check out the forums as well. Should be able to find just about anything you are looking for. Let me know if you need anything else. I hope this helps you out. It's an awesome system, despite getting a RROD about a year after buying mine(and getting it fixed for free) it's totally worth it.

6. ElSnarfo

ElSnarfo Registered Slacker

The points thing is clear now, thanks :D 

Really, really hope it can play region 1 discs for me, being in europe myself. I got a ton of import discs, couldn't live without my Godzilla movies or the occasional Bottom live show.

Will have to definately get a 2nd controller and a messaging add-on thingy cos I heard you can run msn on it :D 

Going elite, cos I prefer a black console. white/grey gets dirty quick. I'm looking at you old timey PSX..

Might look into alternative options for the wireless thing, if its a USB port that is.. gonna get a network USB device to use my computer as in between device for the connection somehow.. I'll ponder on that. Not a tech wiz. :( 

Thanks guys, really appriciate the input

7. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

It does a couple USB ports in the front of the Xbox. So that might help you with what you are thinking, I dunno though. Not a wicked tech guy myself.

8. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Will just add, I think the elite comes with the black controller so if your really gunning for one it's probably the way to go and with the extra hard drive space it's good value.

9. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    If you can hard wire the Xbox into a router do it and skip the wireless unless you have to.

For a keyboard you should be able to use and USB keyboard. I have the messenger kit and like it. But you don’t need either of them.

10. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

i like the messenger kit, useful for sending messages to peeps, as well as some games that need text imputting.

it is quite pricey for what summounts to a tiny keyboard though.

11. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It won't play your Region 1 DVD's
    You can only play the European Region (Region 2) discs.

Also pick up either the Play & Charge kit (basically a cable run from your controller to the USB port on the front only while charging) or the Quick Charge Kit, which is a stand alone unit where you can insert the battery pack and it'll charge. Though do not that it is only available in white, same as the key pad.

Not sure if you can use a 3rd party wireless device in the 360.
    Best bet would be to run a Ethernet cable from your router to the Xbox.

The other option is a patch panel cable form your PC to the Xbox, however you will need to have Internet Connection Sharing turned on at the PC and your PC will also need to be on to access Live.

One other thing to note, the Xbox can read media from your PC if set up.
    So MP3, pictures and video (avi's & wmv's) can be streamed from your PC.

12. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:

You can't.

13. Savanna

Savanna Want to Touch my Wankel?

I also have the Messenger Keyboard, and got to use it for a day before my 360 went splat. Used it alot more than I expected in that short time. Really made doing messages to mass people very easy, and a easy click button for my linked MSN.

14. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:

It cannot play all region DVD's--only your region and region 0/region free discs. Burned DVD's are playable. You can view jpg images from a burned DVD, you can view AVI & WMV videos that are burned to a DVD (burn it as a data disc and it will load them up in menu form--just like it does when you view them from an external hdd), and you can BACKUP your DVD's or even create your own DVD's with your videos you have downloaded on your computer (use another program to convert them to the DVD format), complete with menus. Use good quality media and you shouldn't have any problems.