Some Xbox 360 advice needed

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Human Beastbox, Aug 11, 2010.

1. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    Well, you can do that, but you don't necessarily need to. You can also buy the same brand and firmware version of the drive in your Xbox. Then you just replace the firmware board on your new drive with the one from your old drive so the system sees it as the same drive.

2. Darkwing48

Darkwing48 Heroic Decepticon

3. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not so. My buddy's Yellow Lighted last Monday (first one of my friends for this to happen to). By Thursday Sony had a Box to him and he received his system back yesterday. It wasn't free, but then again, PS3's Yellow Light don't make the news.

4. mineraljane

News Credits:
    By "difficult to fix" I meant that it appears you have to use a heat gun to reseat the CPU/GPU if you want to do it yourself, which is a bit more involved than the remedy for the Xbox. I'm sure it is extremely easy to pay Sony and have them fix it for you.

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Probably, but I don't know many people who try to repair their own RROD, otherwise there would be less of an uproar, since folks could "easily" repair their own Xboxes (and the number of RROD so far exceed that of Yellow Light that "easy self-repair" stories would have been all over the internet by now), thus the result is the same, people sending their stuff off, and for that, it's just as simple to get your system back just in time for the next Fallout or whathaveyou.

6. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Let me know when Halo 3, Gears 2, ODST, or Reach will hit PC :) 

My last rrod was in summer of 08, on weds.
    I was lazy, called MS on sat, shipped it out weds to them (work was not giving me free time). Fri they recieved it, sat they sent out a new one, and I got it tues (cuz I missed UPS on monday).
    I also got a +1 month live card when it was only missing for under 2 weeks.

Whats nice is they give you a new plastic shell, mine always end up getting scraped or blistered

7. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like me some Halo, but simply put, "That is most certainly not enough of a reason".

I would have taken Mass Effect, but I have a PC copy of that on top of my 360 copy, but I play my 360 copy a lot more because I simply like the couch :D 

Alan Wake is a good one. Shadow Complex is great (probably one of the best Downloadable games).

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  8. mineraljane

News Credits:
    Well, the result isn't the same. My comment was simply that it is more difficult to fix the PS3 on your own than it is the Xbox. That is entirely true as it's definitely simpler for Sony to fix their own PS3 than a consumer and it's definitely easier to fix an Xbox yourself than it is a PS3. You may not know anyone who has corrected their own RRoD (I definitely do), but that doesn't mean it isn't simple (about 45 minutes of time and $20) nor that instructions/supplies aren't readily available all over the internet. I don't know why you're being prickly about my innocuous comment. Frankly, I don't understand why folks with obvious access to the internet would not first exhaust possible self-remedies for their out-of-warranty issue prior to paying a company to fix their own design flaw (whether Xbox or PS3). It's fine if you, or the people you know, aren't comfortable opening up their own machines, but that doesn't affect whether it is an easy fix or not.

9. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sorry, I didn't mean to come off as Prickly :)  I personally researched my 360 (this was before the issue was popular), and obviously there were no remedies. By the time it became a bigger issue and I had my second one, everything from the towel trick to other solutions that go beyond my experience were available online, but I did not want to risk damaging it. So we're talking about apples and oranges. I was simply saying that for most people, the result of a broken system is the same, send it out and get it back. Simple process, despite being bloody annoying.

So, sorry for my prickliness :D 

10. mineraljane

News Credits:
    Ah, no problem. I wasn't clear in my first comment about the ease of fixing the PS3 on your own, which clearly created some confusion, and I should not have taken your comments personally. I own both systems, from launch, and only the PS3 is still original and I hope to keep it that way.

Anyhow, apologies to the OP for the derailment. The new Xbox should be fine and, even though the heating issue will always be there to some degree, I cannot imagine that Microsoft didn't significantly re-engineer the problematic areas which contributed to the widespread RRoD issues. I'd buy one without hesitation.

11. Mighty.Maximal

Mighty.Maximal Banned

I'd say if your going to spend money on 16GB flash drives then you might as well pay the extra for a Harddrive version.

You could consider a end of line Arcade model for about half the price of a new 250gb model if you just want to play games and don't expect to download maps and you'd be able to get a old shape harddrive 2nd hand or on clearance afterwards

A Hard drive is useful as sometimes they give you quite substantial downloads for free (map packs etc) and if you've got a big drive it's useful to have the space and sometimes you might fancy the custom soundtrack function in some games - Racing games particularly complement that function.

As well as Games that have map customising functions that require a lot of space to save.

You might find there's a few more worthwhile exclusives on the 360 than you might first think certainly more than the poor neglected child the Wii has.
    And sometimes the 360 games are slightly cheap than the Ps3 and don't require instillation thus saving space on your PS3's HardDrive.

I'd say you have a good chance of getting good use out of a 4gb or a 250GB slim as they seem good value to me just for the inbuilt wireless function.

There might be another pack in a few months with that Konnect Camera included too.

I agree its nice to know how the slim 360 will function in practice though with disk tray scratches and such.

Alternatively save your money and stick with what you have.

12. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's why I'm pretty confident with the slim I own. It even sounds better-made. :) 

13. amethysted

amethysted Well-Known Member

360 advise...

Yea, go with the slim. And buy Mass Effect 2. You wont regret it!

My 360 red ringged last year. MS repaired it in a week or two and I bought the Intercooler fan to help distribute the heat. Works like a charm!

Storage may not be an issue now. But you will need it in the (near) future.

I dont store any music or vids. But I do rip every game I want to play in the next few weeks. It's easier on the optical drive and quicker to load from the HD instead of the disc.

Plus you may want to download add ons and packs. Which all takes up precious memory. I've got the big HD and I'm running out of room. I just bought a USB drive to back up smaller saves...

I'm not even sure if the slim will accept the swap out HD...

So the USB flash drive may be the way to go. Until the slim HDs come down in price... I think you can replace / upgrade them.

Anyfan have a slim 360 to share some storage advise???

14. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    I think if by my next check (two weeks from now) I've got the cash (which I'm sure I will), I'm sold on the new 250 gb slim. You guys have been quite helpful. The only thing I don't dig about the new slim, as superficial as it sounds, is the gloss finish.

15. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    haha then hold off!
    i think theyll have a newer model w/o that finish in a month or so, and theres the halo reach version of the slim as well with a different look i believe

16. Human Beastbox

News Credits:
    Nahh. I'm far too anxious to finally get my Gears chainsawing on.:D 

17. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey Beastbox, I forgot to mention a game, hehehe. Snoopy Dog Fighting game!

18. Human Beastbox

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

19. Human Beastbox

News Credits:
    On the fingerprint note for the new slim, I might just get a pair of these to prevent those nasty prints:
    [​IMG]

20. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, mine's got prints all over it, but I clean it and the PS3 from time to time :)