Some Xbox 360 advice needed

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Human Beastbox, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    I want an Xbox 360 to play a few of the Xbox exclusive games like Gears of War, Left 4 Dead, etc; but I don't plan on doing much else like music, pictures and stuff.
    My 250GB PS3 already pulls that kind of duty and does it well.

Also, given the poor track record of the 360 in the past hardware-wise, I'm a bit reluctant to pick up an older one that we already know is of questionable quality, as opposed to the new slim which we don't know yet if it's better quality or not.

To be honest, I'm at a bit of a loss as to what particular option of Xbox 360 is the best option for me. I don't feel like putting a whole lot of money out just to play like 5-10 particular games on my Xbox.

I could pick up:

An older new Elite 120-250 GB at a good price $249-299 in some bundles, but it could Red Ring on me.

A new slim 250 GB at $299, which the jury's still out reliability-wise, but it seems promising.

A new slim 4 GB at $199 and add a 16GB flash drive for around $30-40 to total out to $240-ish.

What's the best value for the money given what I want it for?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Also, no fan boy console crap, please.

I just want an Xbox, I don't care whether you prefer Sony or Microsoft.

2. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    250GB Xbox 360 Slim. A big hard drive is a great thing.

Any Xbox 360 from any iteration has a chance to red ring so any advice is moot in regards to that.

3. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Pick up the Arcade bundle(2 games) and a HDD for around 200.

still can ring but it is the cheapest option if you don't play it all the time.

4. Human Beastbox

News Credits:
    Are they really that crap at hardware? Honestly?

But I have to admit that the new slim does seem the best option overall in my gut.

Still unsure, though.....

5. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    depends on how ventilated your area is
    mine is in an open area, and has ran smoothly since summer 08

but if you can get it, get the new slim 250 GB one, its really nice
    quiet, cool, and integrated wifi, im jealous of my friends one

6. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    I've had my console 18 months now and no red ring *touch wood* my brother has had his for 4 years and it died about a year ago and needed repairing, its been fine since.

Its the luck of the draw as to when it happens.

All modern consoles have quite large failure rates its just shame the Xbox has the highest. Supposedly the best way to prevent it is to give your Xbox lots of "breathing space" and generally don't ever move it while its on.

There is a silly myth that playing for prolonged periods causes failure, which isn't true. The Red Ring just strikes when it wants.

7. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I haven't had my Slim that long, but I can honestly say that judging from the sound coming from it (it purrs like a kitten) it doesn't feel like a clunky piece of plastic that my old Halo one felt like. And that one never broke down, but to be honest, the only time I turned it one for a long period of time was for Mass Effect, so I dunno what would have happened if I played on it a lot. edit: But what Recall says is true. I didn't have my original Xbox360 very long before it red ringed (less than a week), so it's not only to do with prolonged playing.

If you can get one, I would go with a slim. Not only are you getting an improved hardware, but it's smaller and packs a huge hardrive (Which you can install your games to further prevent failure.

8. Human Beastbox

News Credits:
    I'm leaning more and more that way. Also, if the new slim dies on me, it's easier to get replaced, as in, the slims are everywhere around me now and I plan on getting a Square Trade warranty that is one of the full replacement types. It dies, I get money to get a new one.

I guess I'll pick one up, play it when I feel like it and hope it doesn't die.

9. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've been really really happy with the slim. I even play my 360 a lot more since I got it.

10. Kevin XI

Kevin XI Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My first 360 lasted a year until rrod'ing. Then I got a used one from Gamestop, and it did it immediately, so I took it back and got another one, and it did it too, so I took it back and got another one, and that one did too, so I took that back and got another one, and it's lasted 2 years. Now I'm getting pulled out of games with "The disc is unreadable" messages, even though the discs are fine. I think I'll be getting a slim, it sounds like the best bet, and I need more memory.

11. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you're familiar with Monty Python and the Holy Grail movie, you would see some parallels between what you types and that movie :lol 

12. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    My Arcade lasted 2 years until the Disk drive died :( 

No RROD for me and it costs more than a new one to fix:lol 

My refurbished 1st gen is still kicking though.

13. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    Like others have recommended, I'd go with the new version (unless you could get some insane, close-out sub-$100 deal on a previous generation). The hard drive-less version is the one I would choose, but I already have a flash drive. If you're going to need to purchase one of those anyhow, I'd definitely go with the 250 GB version.

That said, the "RRoD" is certainly frustrating, but the extended warranty Microsoft provides essentially erases that as an issue. (I've had two consoles RRoD, one quickly repaired by Microsoft and one repaired by me.) Frankly, I dread the PS3's "yellow light of death", which is partially caused by excessive heat as well, much more as it seems to be a more difficult fix.

It's about $25 for a new drive and they're very easy to install. It would be a bit more complicated if you want to make sure the console would never be banned from Live, but at least it would work.

14. Human Beastbox

News Credits:
    That is putting up with some crap, my man.:lol 

15. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    All the "exclusives" you named have superior PC versions >_>

16. Human Beastbox

News Credits:
    That's exactly why I purchased an awesome 3-year replacement warranty from Square Trade back when I got my PS3 slim.

In the end, the only thing I'd lose are the games that have copy-protected game saves (like my PS3 version of Bayonetta) I can't back up to a USB.

17. Human Beastbox

News Credits:
    That'd be awesome if I had a PC to play games on.

Then again, I don't even have an Xbox yet to play those games, which was the point of this thread, actually.

18. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    "250GB" wow, that's a monster for a Playstation.

19. Human Beastbox

News Credits:
    Yeah, for the current PS3 slims I tend to see a lot more of the 120 GBs out there, but the 250 GB is the other model.

At the time I bought mine (shortly after last X-mas), 250 GBs were all that were available around me. At only $50 more for twice the storage, I thought, "Why not?"

20. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    I heard something about the drive needing to be programmed instead of a straight part swap.