Some Thoughts I Have on the Writing.

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by HoneyPrime, Oct 9, 2012.

1. HoneyPrime

HoneyPrime ♥♥ Smokescreen ♥♥

Hopefully I'm not opening a can of worms with this stuff. If it ends up that way I sincerely apologize. I mean no harm.

1. Let me say first that I am female and do not base my opinion on someone based on gender. I base it on actions and attitude. With that being said, several people have mentioned that the characters on this show that draw out the most dislike/hate are female. I got to thinking about it and realized this is true for me. While I don't downright hate any of them it got me to wondering why it's being written that way. I am not particularly thrilled with it myself.

2. While I don't disagree with some of what Arcee said in this last episode towards the end, I do have a different opinion about the "Greatness" thing. I always thought greatness started from within oneself. Figuring out what one believes in and what is worth fighting for. If it's fighting on ones own (like Wheeljack) or fighting with a team (like Team Prime), either way is awesome. But it's still all a matter of what one believes is worth fighting for and how.

3. Several have mentioned they wouldn't want to be a new recruit on Team Prime and after thinking about it I wouldn't either. Having Bulkhead act like that the first day Smokescreen is there? Having Arcee displaying sarcasm, name calling and mockery? Bulkhead and Arcee are sooooooooooooo much better than that. All of Team Prime is much better than that. I have to admit I'm not happy with it at all.

I have been asking myself what the heck the writers are doing or what they are trying to get across. And it makes me think about how their target audience is interpreting all this.

I may be way off base with my observations and reading to much into this. So I decided to make this post to get others views and opinions to try and give myself a better understanding of things.

2. Una

Una Well-Known Member

I'm female and it bothers me too. I worried at the fact that people will be labeled "sexist" if they criticize Arcee, which is not true. The majority just have a problem with how she is written, her actions, and attitude. There may be some, but they are a minority or people just making unfunny jokes, which many don't condone.

The writers are trying hard to make a strong female character, which I applaud, but in fact, that was their mistake. They labeled her a strong female character when they should have tried making a character that was strong, which just so happens to be female. Female is not personality trait. It is a gender. XD

Agreed. It wasn't Smokescreen vs. Arcee as lots of people seemed to believe. Everyone can agree that Smokescreen was acting childish, whiny, and a little arrogant. But Arcee wasn't the right person. I believed Bulkhead or Optimus would have been better. Arcee rubs people off the wrong way. Her words are the truth, but there are hints of irritation, frustration, mockery (Destiny's Child? Really?), and harshness. She was speaking the truth, but it was HOW she spoke it that have people criticizing her.

Optimus' fault anyway. He should be a leader and stepped in before it went far. The writers don't seem to know how to write him except in his action scenes. Everything else....meh

LOL Yeah! Team Prime isn't quite welcoming towards those who are just starting. Ask Smokescreen. XD

3. HoneyPrime

Yeah. It's not anyone vs. anyone for me either. It's HOW the writers are portraying everything that's bothering me.

4. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

Sometimes, I think the writers assume viewers live under a rock so they have to explain everything slowly to them. i.e. Ratchet explaining the artifacts are in New York because they landed there before the city was made

5. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Agreed. I see why Arcee's criticisms are valid but yeah there's something not right with the delivery of who she says it.

6. Rogzilla

Rogzilla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Yeah, it's almost as if this is a show made for kids to market toys to them!

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    I completely agree with the bit about being labeled as sexist just because the only two female characters in the show happen to be terrible. It offends me so much that just because somebody points out that a character is being poorly written or portrayed, it must be because they hate women.

It's one of many pieces of evidence of this forum going down the shitter.

Exactly.

I'm so tired of so many characters being characterized by their gender by writers and fans.

Kids are not idiots. Being young doesn't mean you can't figure out that if something is burried, it means it was put there before the stuff on top of it.

The sooner people realize this the better.

8. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I hate that whole people hate Arcee because she's female. It's lame. You want strong female characters, the JL cartoon did it very well with Hawkgirl and Wonder Woman. They could fight anyone or anything, were strong and didn't have the attitude that Arcee has. Those 2 females are some of my favorite fictional characters. It's to the point that I can't even stand her voice and want to mute my TV when she opens her mouth.

Arcee has been full of attitude since episode 1.

9. Starscreamownz

Starscreamownz Air Commander

News Credits:
    She should also consider Smokescreen getting captured as her fault since you know...it's her fault.

10. HoneyPrime

Um guys, please let's not turn this into an Arcee bashing thread. There is already enough of that going around.

11. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ^^ Agreed ^^

In general, TFP is somewhat stereotypical among some its characters.

I often wonder if the writers are writing for themselves, certain groups, or for everyone. (Hopefully for everyone)

Every TFP member is great in their own right.

Sometimes or most of the time certain characters are just portrayed lousy which leaves everyone to predict their next actions.

12. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Arcee's been sarcastic since day one. She's always been like that, always. She even mocks herself when she fails to get Airachnid at the end of Predatory She's been snarky since day one and specially now with Smokescreen GIVING people reasons to be mad.

I have no doubt that every crappy comments he made at the worst possible times weren't meant to be a mean jab but the guy is new, they don't know him enough yet, he says stupid shit, acts like an idiot, brags about how HE would've done it after team mates failed and more. He spent the, what, 5 last episodes giving those mixed reactions? He's not just new to war, he seems to be new to the very concept of "talking to people" and nobody in any team reacts well to that kind of guy.

Also Bulkhead was just grumpy from being all messed up then the kid shows up yelling in the house about LAWL WAR IS PIECE OF CAKE, they're already buds now.

13. Una

Una Well-Known Member

The writers of the show, I believe, play it too safe. They need to take more risks in stories. They are trying to be dark, serious, and gritty yet it just seems...meh. Okay, they have some brutal fight scenes. But being a dark show doesn't just mean up the violence. The show forgets an important message almost all the time: Actions, good or bad, have consequences. They need to show more of this on both sides. Not just the "evil" Decepticons.

And yes, the characters needed to be better written. That's a given.

I just hope they stop with the shock factor deaths. XD They did two! XD

14. soundwave142

soundwave142 Decepticon over-seer

News Credits:
    you dear sir...understand my thoughts about this c: Glad i'm not the only one lol. Arcee seems like someone who can only put up with so much shit and she's not one to hold her tongue ( for lack of a better word ). Smokescreen is pretty new to war but on his first couple missions he's gotten the apex armor, saved bulkhead and the optimus so I can see why he got all eager but he didn't understand the pressure everyone else went through during the war. He never got in a fight and before he could his first time he got knocked out. Arcee set him straight though but he just didn't no how to take it and felt so much pressure with everyone looking at him and even optimus didn't say anything. People say arcee is a bitch for telling it like it is. No one made smokescreen leave he left of his own accord but arcee only pressured that reaction. I guess people can say it's bad writing but I saw it as something that could happen for real and it didn't feel fake. Just made me like arcee more c:

15. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Agreed, Smokes doesn't think before he talks, doesn't know when to stop, and has a chip on his shoulder because he scored a few times.

I don't think RC is going to change, she's always been snarky and that's the way she is.

As for BH he lightened up.

16. HoneyPrime

Thanks everyone. I appreciate hearing your perspectives on all this.

17. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator

News Credits:
    Don't want to go novella again..but to outline:

From TFWiki:
    The writing staff was headed by Duane Capizzi, with Marsha Griffin as the story editor. The staff consists of Nicole Dubuc, Joseph Kuhr and Steven Melching.

So it would seem we have a mix of male/female writers and writing staff. Could it be the Directors instead??

A quick rundown on who wrote what..for the last few episodes...

Out of the Past / Mike Johnson
    New Recruit / Marty Isenberg
    The Human Factor / Robert N. Skir
    Legacy / Marsha Griffin
    Alpha/Omega / David McDermott
    Hard Knocks / Mairghead Scott

More than one ep was directed by the following, all have directed other TFP episodes:

Todd Waterman
    Vinton Heuck
    David McDermott
    Scooter Tidwell
    Shaunt Nigoghossian

The directors seem to be overwhelmingly male and maybe they're missing something in translation when it comes to how a strong warrior who's female should react in tight situations and talk to her fellow bots...maybe?????

Not bashing these guys at all, they have tons of direction experience, in other animated series that we all know and love.. GI Joe, JL, JLU, Avengers, Teen Titans, Batman, Mulan, to name a few and of course several other previous episodes of TFP. But...hmmm..many of those series are filled with lots of testosterone too. :) 

So bottom line: Is it their fault or ours???
    I've seen posts calling Arcee a 'bitch' or other derogatory terms...which I believe under the same circumstances wouldn't have been posted or said about Bulk or Wheeljack or *gasp* even Ratchet. Just sayin' :D 

18. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    The Autobots keep saying they're a family. Well, they sure do fight and argue and bitch like one.

19. soundwave142

soundwave142 Decepticon over-seer

News Credits:
    Lol that's exactly what a family is like

20. Cha Chi

Cha Chi Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Non of the Characters are perfect, except for OP maybe... Arcee i liked in the last episode, she's stubborn and has been all through out the show, and her rant was in keeping with her i feel. Some people might not have liked it because apart from his running out at the end and what Smokes has said everything he's done and acted has be stand-up so there is a clash between who's side you may pick in the whole argument, Arcee or Smokes. Neither argument being overwhelmingly correct or definitive or will be shown to be, just another one of those things to make you think and that is credit to the writers.

Arcee has had the most storylines of all them and has come through with flying colours though the lectures aren't always the most enjoyable parts. But hey she's still cool. I hope we get a bunch more charters so we see how the ones know really well interact with the ones we don't. That'd be cool because they are bouncing off each other and stuff is getting old, even with Smokes... I think Arcee and Bulkhead might be maturing judging by that last episode too...