Some things I've noticed :/

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by ElectricPrada09, Aug 5, 2011.

1. ElectricPrada09

ElectricPrada09 Speedster.

News Credits:
    I'm not sure if this has been brought up before so if it has I apologize.

This should have already been very clear to me, but for some reason it only hit me yesterday. Transformers Prime is very similar to Transformers Animated in that it's main Autobot characters are exactly the same. Seriously.

-Optimus Prime
    -Bumblebee
    -Ratchet
    -Bulkhead
    -Prowl and Arcee. Really what's the difference? Motorcycle alt mode, slim design, ninja-botish, troubled past with a somewhat grouchy attitude.

Why did they make two Transformer series that are back to back with the exact same cast? I personally feel like they should have mixed it up a bit. But maybe that's just me. Maybe this formula works as a whole?

Don't you miss when there were at least cameos and guest appearances like in Animated? Prime is great but it to me is definitely lacking in some areas. Pleas note that I am not hating on this show and I am really trying to love it instead of just liking it like I do now.

What was up with Wheeljack? His appearance was awesome but all he did was: "Hey! *cuts up some Decepticons* bye!" Looking at all the episodes as a whole that was just completely random if you think about it. And where the hell is Knockout?!

Also, the environments and settings are bland to me.. The Transformers themselves are great but it's the backgrounds that get to me.

Agree or disagree? I want to know.

2. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say that Prime is similar to Animated at all. They're extremely different. They have a different animation style, different vocal cast, different types of stories. Honestly, I think that even though they may have characters in common, they're worlds apart. But that's just my opinion.

3. ElectricPrada09

News Credits:
    I'm not saying they are similar as series. I said the Autobot cast is the same. I did compare the two though. The two series are completely different.

4. Jive Guru

Jive Guru Professional Amateur

Welp, I guess I'll just leave this here. XD

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I can't be the only one to notice how similar Prowl and Arcee are design wse, with the thin arms, wheels-in-legs, little "wings" and long faces.

6. ElectricPrada09

News Credits:
    Yes I understand that Wheeljack made a cameo. But they are nowhere as consistent as Animated. When Animated had cameos or guest appearances they usually showed back up at some point.

7. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's because it's the stantard action cartoon teams.

Leader, small guy, medic, strong guy and THE GIRL.

It just happens that Hasbro wants characters to be recognizable to their role archetypes and thus we will be getting a LOT of Optimus, Bee, Bulkhead and Ratchet in the future. Get used to them you guys!

The reason we don't have many cameos is because we CAN'T have many cameos. This is a CGI cartoon, CGI is much harder to add characters because the models have to be made and all and that takes money, so most references to past Transformers will be in dialogue form and design of new and REAL characters. And I'm totally fine with it, I don't care about cameos, they add nothing, I don't care for a single cameo sheet model of TFA even if they tried to give them personality in the Allspark Almanac 2, they weren't really characters.

Wheeljack left because the writers felt that it fit his personality of loner traveller, but they promised he will be back.

I think the environments depend. Some things look DAMNED beautiful like that deserted post in Metal Attraction or the Russian city with the volcano, but some do look rather weak like the cliffs in Masters and Students and that place we saw in Partners where the ship crashed. I guess it's a matter of if they will use a place again or not, so while main locations like the Nemesis look good, the one-off cliffside place of the last episode they just winged it.

8. Jive Guru

Jive Guru Professional Amateur

Wheeljack WILL be showing up again at some point, it's been well documented at this point that he'll be reappearing.

9. ElectricPrada09

News Credits:
    I completely understand why they need a standard team and archetypes. But that doesn't mean they have to be the same exact characters from another series.

Optimus Prime
    Cliffjumper
    Red Alert
    IronHide
    Arcee.

Done. Same team. And ok all the cameos and guest appearances aren't necessarily needed. But here's a idea: Instead of making guest appearances why not... keep them on the team? *GASP* I understand the CGI and money issues. That makes sense. But why make a show when you're going to be hindered with money so much that you can't even incorporate new characters? And yes I know Wheeljack is supposed to come back.

Please remember I'm not bitching, just asking. I like the show and will buy the figures for it. I just feel it's potential is not implemented.

10. Kostya

Kostya Destron

News Credits:
    Really they're not in my mind. They follow a similar pattern but the characters aren't their Animated incarnations at all.

Optimus is more of a fusion of G1 and Movie Prime.

Bumblebee is his Movie version instead of Animated(for the better IMO).

Bulkhead is vastly different from the big childish version Animated gave us.

Ratchet...okay I lied, he pretty much is Animated Ratchet in my eyes.

Arcee is an entirely different character from anything that came before.

As for the cameos we have Wheeljack who is going to come back. Beyond that though I don't think we really need any more main cast members.

11. Cevel

Cevel Well-Known Member

Like it's already been said, this is a standard set-up in a lot of media. It's really no surprise to me that they've used it again in this show.

12. Kostya

Kostya Destron

News Credits:
    Money dear boy.

The roles might be similar but with this only two of the five had prominent roles in recent fiction. With the cast they did go with all of them should be familiar to the kids and will make them want to buy their toys.

13. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Optimus and R2-Bee2 have to be in the show because they are Optimus and Bee. Bulkhead has to be in the show because kids likely remember him from Animated so this can drag them into this series as well. Ratchet is here because he is THE medic to most fans. And Arcee is awsomness given CGI form.

14. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

Which is what I was trying to get at in my earlier post. Yes, they're using the same characters. But the shows/characters are so radically different that it doesn't matter.

15. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Keep in mind Ironhide was going to be in the show, they just used Bulkhead instead when they realized they had written an Ironhide that was too much like Bulkhead and not Ironhide-y enough,

But all characters introduced DID join teams. It's really only Wheeljack that left because of his particular reasons. But Breakdown, Knock Out and Airachnid? All joined teams. Skyquake didn't but that's because he died before he could get back with the Nemesis crew.

16. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    I don't know. I mean, sure both Bumblebee's and Prowl/Arcee are very similar, Optimus, Ratchet and Bulkhead are very different. Optimus is wiser and doesn't have the whole hero schtick, Ratchet is a cranky old ass, but in TFP he's more serious and Bulkhead isn't a dumbass this time around, he's a war hero.

17. StarYoshi14

StarYoshi14 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The members of the team are similar, but their personalities are drastically different.

If you are going to blame anything, blame the movies for the similarities in cast. Michael Bay basically revived Bumblebee from being semi-important guardian and Spike's BFF in G1 to being as iconic as Optimus himself. Ratchet, though way less important in the movies, was thrust into the spotlight again. Animated was supposed to have Hot Shot and First Aid on the team instead of Bumblebee and Ratchet, but the popularity of the movie incarnations of their characters said otherwise.

Bulkhead was in fact going to be Ironhide in Prime, but was changed to Bulkhead. I guess they made him less gunslinger and more caring role model for Miko, and they didn't want a cuddly Ironhide, so Bulkhead was brought back.

Honestly, it is not always a bad thing. The Decepticons power players have always been Megatron, Starscream, and Soundwave. The only problem I have is with some of the Autobots character designs. The white mouth thing gets real creepy in some scenes, and Bumblebee's head just needs a redesign and he needs a fricken voice.

18. Soulmaster

Soulmaster Well-Known Member

I think they used those characters, mainly OP, Bee and Ratchet, for being widely known (movies and stuff), Bulkhead was also widely known thanks to animated, added some variety putting Arcee in there (the name was the most common one, so...)
    used some cues of movieverse and animated, and there you have a new main team...
    now, they have same names, but... are they like the other counterparts? not really, Arcee is similar to Animated Prowl, but she's no pacific as him, you know, variety...
    for cameos, dude... season ONE, 20 episodes of 26 for this season, CGI show, do you really think they'll made some models just to show cameos?, I mean, Tailgate was using the Cliffjumper mold in other colors, Wheeljack has his own mold, but he's expected to come back

anyways, I think we could have more cameos and references in future seasons, remember: Animated didn't started with full action and characters, neither did Beast Wars (I rather compare this show to BW thanks to the CGI stuff, like a reference of how many characters can you have...) =)

19. Cevel

Cevel Well-Known Member

This is a good point. After all, why would Hasbro change the characters up if they're more recognizable right now and thus would make them more money?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a few more members eventually added to the cast that weren't such "big names". I wouldn't blame Hasbro if they decided not to do that, though.

But then again, we are getting a guy named "Dreadwing", so...

20. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    I remember reading before that many of the creators behind Prime were fans of Animated, so I put the cast similarities down to that.